PDA

View Full Version : cheap but good tennis shoes?

TLy963
01-20-2012, 07:17 PM
I need a new pair of tennis shoes but i cant spend too much. Ive narrowed it down to these three pairs:

Adidas Bercuda , Adidas Barricade team , Prince T9 Roadsters

i play tennis almost every day for 1-3 hours, humid/hot weather in the summer, i have flat feet so they are slightly wide. wear size 10

I dont mess up shoes very often and im kinda light on my feet so shoes last a decent amount of time. the toe area/upper inside area of both feet (more right shoe than left) take the most damage when playing tennis and i currently have worn to a hole in the right shoe. If you have any experience pertaining to these shoes then please comment

thanks

scotus
01-20-2012, 07:26 PM
I need a new pair of tennis shoes but i cant spend too much. Ive narrowed it down to these three pairs:

Since you play everyday, it is better to spend more upfront and get the top of the line shoes with 6-month durability guarantee.

Once you get the replacement pair for free, you would realize that these very expensive shoes with better performance ended up costing you less than those you have been thinking of buying.

TLy963
01-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Since you play everyday, it is better to spend more upfront and get the top of the line shoes with 6-month durability guarantee.

Once you get the replacement pair for free, you would realize that these very expensive shoes with better performance ended up costing you less than those you have been thinking of buying.

But I dont ruin shoes very quickly even if i tried and i only have 60 dollars to spend

West Coast Ace
01-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Do you have something against Nike? I use the City Courts quite a bit. Plain design - but fine. I play 3x a week - they hold up.

TLy963
01-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Do you have something against Nike? I use the City Courts quite a bit. Plain design - but fine. I play 3x a week - they hold up.

ive heard from friends that they werent very durable and is a bad fit for wide feet but personally ive never had a pair from that brand.

Ramon
01-20-2012, 08:30 PM
ive heard from friends that they werent very durable and is a bad fit for wide feet but personally ive never had a pair from that brand.

Adidas is even worse for wide feet. I have narrow feet, and Adidas always fits me better than Nike. Out of the 3 you mentioned, the best for wide feet is probably the Prince.

drkplayer122
01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
In my experience, Adidas shoes are narrower than Nike shoes. I have wide feet also. Those were basketball shoes though. Im not sure if its the same with tennis shoes. I have only owned Nike tennis shoes also.

PeterFig
01-20-2012, 10:29 PM

i play tennis almost every day for 1-3 hours, humid/hot weather in the summer, i have flat feet so they are slightly wide. wear size 10

I dont mess up shoes very often and im kinda light on my feet so shoes last a decent amount of time. the toe area/upper inside area of both feet (more right shoe than left) take the most damage when playing tennis and i currently have worn to a hole in the right shoe. If you have any experience pertaining to these shoes then please comment

thanks

I have a pair of these Nike Court Mo's (I think they come in a few different colours). At $49 it's a great price. They are comfortable, look cool and if you have a wider foot these are great. I have a normal foot and find these a bit wide in the forefoot. They also are holding up well.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nike_Air_Court_Mo_IV_AnthraciteOrange/descpageMSNIKE-NMCM4AO.html

Edit: As a previous poster mentioned - most Adidas shoes I've tried tend to be on the narrower side - so I would for sure go with Nike's instead.

Ronaldo
01-20-2012, 11:55 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/New_Balance_MC_655_2E_WhiteNavy/descpageMSNB-M6552EW.html Cheap, one year warranty, wide

usta2050
01-21-2012, 12:56 AM
for 10 bucks more, you can get these great shoes.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Propulse_2_Titanium/descpageMSBAB-BMPP2B.html

Ronaldo
01-21-2012, 08:37 AM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Propulse_2_Titanium/descpageMSBAB-BMPP2B.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/BMPP2B/BMPP2BReview.html

NJ1
01-21-2012, 08:54 AM

Great call. Available in white as well and not in just size 15s like the pair posted immediately above.

Tly963- find that extra $9. It's worth missing lunch for.

TLy963
01-21-2012, 08:56 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/New_Balance_MC_655_2E_WhiteNavy/descpageMSNB-M6552EW.html Cheap, one year warranty, wide

they dont have my size though

Mighty Matteo
01-21-2012, 09:01 AM
You should go with the prince T9's

NJ1
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM
they dont have my size though

What's wrong the Babolat Propulse 2s that have been posted? Better shoes and warrantied too.

TLy963
01-21-2012, 09:21 AM
How is the Asics gel game 3? ive seen it and it is within my price range with a 6 month warranty so it sparked my curiosity.

(id like to know trends of the brand and if possible its durability, fit/comfort)

TLy963
01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
What's wrong the Babolat Propulse 2s that have been posted? Better shoes and warrantied too.

i was quoting the link to new balance shoes. the propulse 2s are a bit out of my price range but i would seriously consider them if i had enough money

Ronaldo
01-21-2012, 09:39 AM
i was quoting the link to new balance shoes. the propulse 2s are a bit out of my price range but i would seriously consider them if i had enough money

The Asics shoes are a bit narrow, especially in the forefoot. Prince shoes are a bit wider overall. Plenty of Prince shoes under $60.

ArliHawk
01-21-2012, 10:48 AM
I always buy on sale, new styles seem to go on sale quickly at most retailers. Also have my eyes on the Barricade 7 team. Bthey look promising

SteveI
01-21-2012, 10:58 AM

Great price/performace shoe. If you wait until the end of the season.. you gte them for about $35.00 a pair

SteveI
01-21-2012, 11:00 AM

I have wide feet.. they seem to work fine..:-)

shaqtus
01-21-2012, 07:51 PM
my last 3 pairs have been barricade teams, and they are quick to break in and comfortable, and wear well

West Coast Ace
01-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Great price/performace shoe. If you wait until the end of the season.. you gte them for about $35.00 a pairThat's what I thought. And the Nike Outlet stores often do have them for < $40.

eagle
01-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Not sure where you are but if you have a Sports Authority store near you, go to the shoes clearance section.

They normally have great deals on tennis shoes.

I've been lucky enough to find really good shoes ... Adidas, Nike, and New Balance ... normally around $80 on sale for $30 or $40.

Mahalo,
eagle

Tennis in Hawaii: http://www.tennisinhawaii.com
Tennis tips: http://www.keohi.com/tennis

kingofstring
01-22-2012, 08:45 AM
I would get asics.

TLy963
01-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I would get asics.

For any particular reasons? im kind of leaning to one asics shoe but its yellow sooo...

kingofstring
01-22-2012, 02:32 PM
For any particular reasons? im kind of leaning to one asics shoe but its yellow sooo...

The comfort is awesome, the durability is average, and the traction and support is great! BUY SOME!

TLy963
01-22-2012, 02:39 PM
The comfort is awesome, the durability is average, and the traction and support is great! BUY SOME!

thanks to EVERYONE for commenting. ive decided on getting the asics gel game 3 for 56 dollars. this will be the first pair of tennis shoes ive ever gotten. Lets hope for the best.

kingofstring
01-22-2012, 02:50 PM
thanks to EVERYONE for commenting. ive decided on getting the asics gel game 3 for 56 dollars. this will be the first pair of tennis shoes ive ever gotten. Lets hope for the best.

Just got those let me know how you like them they are a great price arent they.

TLy963
01-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Just got those let me know how you like them they are a great price arent they.

i agree. good shoe brand, good price, good reviews, yes please.

ill give my feedback on this post once i get them

jtrain_36
01-22-2012, 04:46 PM

I've only used one generation of the city courts, but each time the lasted me a full year. I'm on to the newest iteration this year and I'm hoping the quality will continue.

luishcorreia
01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
How about the court ballistec 4.1? Are they any good?

luishcorreia
01-23-2012, 03:38 PM
In an outlet nike store here in Portugal I saw a pair of Court Ballistec 3.3 (green) for 15€. A bargain. But it was size 12 :)

PeterFig
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Great choice - I'm on my second pair of Asics and could not be happier. Great fit, comfort and decent durability. I had the Resolution 2's and I just bought the Speed Solutions. Both great shoes.

Once you've had a chance to try them out give us a mini-review.... would be great to hear what you thought.

CHOcobo
01-23-2012, 03:55 PM
try the asics gel game 3. they are soft and stable. i like it much better than my barricade team. its a tiny bit more wide than the barricade team and comfortable, and fits more like a glove since it feels softer (i use moldable insoles by the way).

Ronaldo
01-24-2012, 07:28 AM
In an outlet nike store here in Portugal I saw a pair of Court Ballistec 3.3 (green) for 15. A bargain. But it was size 12 :)

Just buy the shoes. Fill in the gaps

luishcorreia
01-26-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm really thinking about Asics fo rmy next shoe. Just cant decide btw Resolution's and Gel Game.

Ronaldo
01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm really thinking about Asics fo rmy next shoe. Just cant decide btw Resolution's and Gel Game.

Asics cushioning and wear could be better.

mctennis
01-27-2012, 09:51 AM

I ditto this +1.

TLy963
01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
got my shoes right after i came home from school! i like the design but wished it came in a different color like blue. I ordered a half size larger like it said and it feels very comfy like i can play right now. Put inserts in and it feels very nice. Not too wide nor too narrow. Havent played in them yet so these are just first impressions.

Can anyone comment on how the warranty works and any tips?

Thanks to all who commented/comments

rallyguy
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM

thanks

The t-9s are really a nice shoe. Maybe the styling isn't the best but it's light and great for wider feet. The mesh also makes it breath well. I've owned a pair for years and they are always in my rotation especially when warm outside.

Roddick33
02-08-2012, 05:39 PM
You shoulda went with propulse 2..
It's only 15$ more, so if you ate cup noodles for just 2 days you woulda gotten a much better shoe than the asics.

r5d3
02-10-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for this thread. I was planning on posting a similar one regarding the Head Speed Pro shoes and people's opinion, but had a snag and delay in the sign-up process. Thanks to this thread, I ordered two pair (one for my son) of the Propulse's, half size up. Should have them Monday or Tuesday.

r5d3
02-26-2012, 03:33 AM
Glad I got the half size up, but it looked for a while like they were going to get returned. Comfort and stability were nice, but my right shoe kept poking me in the top of the foot, and it took three days and about 6 hours of break-in time before they softened up and stopped poking me. Now, I am happy with the Propulse's, thanks again.

Andreas1965
02-26-2012, 04:12 AM
Bought the Head Radical Pro 2 shoes recently, German online-shops sell them around 60,- Euro.

Great shoe, much more comfortable than the Barricade 6. Comes with 6-month-guarantee.

ArliHawk
02-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Followed my own advice and bought Barricade Teams. Feel like great shoes, but the ventilation could be a little better.

yourmailman
04-29-2012, 01:48 AM
The Barricade Team is a WONDERFUL shoe.

I have tried several different shoes since I started playing again in late 2009.

I actually started out with my old pair of Rod Lavers that I dug out of storage. They were very cool and comfortable, so when ADIDAS started making them again. I bought a few more pair. I love them.

However, as my game progressed, I found they didn't fit the bill for me any more. Although I am playing in a grass tourney this summer and will probably employ them for that surface.

I tried a couple of Asics, two pair of Lottos, Wilson, and FILA.

None of them were very comfortable right out of the box, and I even had to use Dr. Scholl's gels in a couple to keep from tearing up my feet when I played.

Then, after trying on some Barricades, I ordered a pair of the Barracade Teams because they were less expensive, plus they were on sale.

The Barricade Team is the first shoe (outside of the Rod Lavers) that felt great right out of the box. They are light weight and do an awesome job of getting me around the court in a hurry. They also have pretty good stopping power.

I know own 7 pairs. I currently wear 2 different pairs of them depending on whether I am playing singles or doubles. White/Black for doubles and white/grey for singles. I have an extra pair of each stuck back for when these finally bite the dust. I also have an extra pair that has gone unworn that I carry with me just in case there is a shoe failure on the court.

The last 2 pair are ones I have retired from the court. I wear them at work because they are so comfortable.

For my money, you can't go wrong with the Barricade Team. They have a lot of the technology of the regular Barricades at 1/2 the price or less if they are on sale.

FlameYo
04-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Followed my own advice and bought Barricade Teams. Feel like great shoes, but the ventilation could be a little better. Ever think about drilling some 1/4 in. holes on the front upper of shoe?

Winners or Errors
04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
You should go with the prince T9's

+1... The Prince T9's are wide and, last I looked, still come with a 6-month durability guarantee.

ArliHawk
04-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Still enjoying my Barricade Team 2s. They seem to be holding up well.

netguy
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Ascis makes really good tennis shoes

Barnes68
04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I would go with Prince. I have the T9's and I have wider feet.

yourmailman
04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Asics and Prince are nice shoes. I have fond that the Adidas, in adition to being the most comfortable to me, seem to last the longest as well.