PDA

View Full Version : Plastic handle?

Xizel
01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
I attempted to shorten my racquet, but I wasn't expecting a piece of plastic in my handle. It runs at least an inch or two deep as far as I can tell, and possibly is the actual handle with a "foam" layer on the outside. Anyone know what's up? I didn't expect to ask this question, so the picture is somewhat irrelevant.

http://i42.tinypic.com/34ooobs.jpg

Steve Huff
01-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Not sure, but looks like a plug. You may be able to remove it (but probably not). You'll probably have to just cut it too. It should be ok to do that. The butt cap will cover it anyway, and there should be plenty left to add structure to the handle.

UCSF2012
01-21-2012, 09:28 AM
If you want the racket to feel shorter, choke up on the handle, not cut it off. Or adjust the buttcap so it slides on farther (there're pieces of plastic on the buttcap preventing it from sliding too far down. Cut these pieces off, so they'll insert farther.).

That piece of plastic on the handle is designed to prevent fracture of the frame and grip polyurethane. It's a high stress area, because your hands are squeezing it and because it has to resist the centrifugal force of the racket swinging. The plastic piece provides additional support of the graphite fibers.