PDA

View Full Version : Standard Length vs Extended Length

ynnek20
01-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Which do you prefer and why?

I prefer standard length i feel like mobility is the main reason you just can hit out easier without getting jammed extended length you have to think much more about positioning

Seth
01-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I've always played standard, but would be open to trying extended. I'm 6'5", so reach on serve/overhead/groundies isn't an issue. I've wondered if an extended frame would jam me with volleys, but at the same time, it could be beneficial in reaching lower balls.

If the POG LB was still around, I'd probably investigate that. Same with the Wilson 6.1 Stretch frames.

Automatix
01-21-2012, 11:44 PM
I prefer extended frames. 28 inch to be precise.

The tough part is finding an extended length frame which has the right specs besides the length.

I still have for example 2 Wilson PS Classic 6.1 95 Stretch (28 inch version) and it is really good, especially on the serve but I find much more spin and versitality with my Yonex Pro RD 70 Longs - currently 7.

I have to unload the PSC 6.1s... I have to stay with one racquet and keeping them just makes me switch from time to time.

I like to test new racquets though. For example I'm trying to get a hold of some Kneissl Black Stars (FYI 27,4 inches long).

Captain Tezuka
01-22-2012, 04:45 AM
I prefer extended frames. 27.25 inch because these are the specs of my current racquet. However it would be nice to see the difference of a 27 inch frame versus 27.25 or even 28 inch frame. I don't know which one to pick so I choose based on what I know.

movdqa
01-22-2012, 05:28 AM
I prefer extended (though I hit the wrong button on the vote). At the moment, I'm very happy with 27.75 inches.

jtrain_36
01-22-2012, 07:48 AM
I prefer standard, mostly because that's what I've been playing my whole life and any change from that just feels odd.

Ashanti
01-22-2012, 09:00 AM
i prefer standard i love return of serve and i have hit with both and i could get the standard length around quicker and easier to quick respond to difficult shots at or into the body i just got jammed with the extended length more often then standard.

ChicagoJack
01-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Funny timing on this poll. I just played a match with one of my tinker project frames that I cut down to 27" It felt great just swinging it around in the living room. Was really certain I'd be cutting down my other 3 racquets to standard length pretty soon. Wrong. Really wrong. Groundies and volleys were not terribly bad, seemed ok, like something I could eventually adjust to. I thought my serves felt ok too.

When I switched back to my 27.75 inch frame, everything got a little better, but my serves got much much better in an instant. Nastier, heavier, more spin, higher bounces. It just gives me this feeling like I am holding a real weapon. I don't get that feeling with a standard length frame any more. I think that extended length frames have ruined my taste for anything else. I don't think I can ever switch back.

-Jack

LeeD
01-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Extended, more serve, more power IF you choose on every stroke.
But can you handle having MORE power all the time?
I normaly choke up the handle 1/2" for groundies and serve returns, then go down to the buttcap for serves and overheads. A longer racket won't benefit me in any way, where I hold the grip. I hold the same for my 27.75 Changs and 28" TT's, so I gain little with a long racket. In fact, I actually tape another "buttcap" to my 28" TT's, so it's plays like a standard racket.

North
01-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Standard. I S&V and am generally up at the net a lot. Standard length just feels more maneuverable to me, more so, I think, because I am pretty short and extended length feels like too much racquet.

TaihtDuhShaat
01-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I prefer shortened a bit to 26 3/4" on 95"s. I put the lost sw back on the hoop and handle and feel I can get more power and the extra control and quick feeling.

USS Tang
01-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I am short, so a 27.25 racket helps me, especially on my serve. Volleying is not problem.

Xizel
01-22-2012, 02:58 PM
+Power
+Spin
-Directional control
-Volley

Reach is not that significant to me.

sureshs
01-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Much more SW, which can be difficult to handle

movdqa
01-23-2012, 05:43 AM
If you're playing around with XL vs SL, I presume that you're also playing around with other things like balance, static weight and swingweight. There were times this past fall where I would add three grams, take two off, add another back, etc.

mikeler
01-23-2012, 05:46 AM
I am short, so a 27.25 racket helps me, especially on my serve. Volleying is not problem.

Same for me.

drak
01-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Which do you prefer and why?

I prefer standard length i feel like mobility is the main reason you just can hit out easier without getting jammed extended length you have to think much more about positioning

Ian 98-100 inch frame I prefer standard size, in a more OS (105-110_ a 27.25-27.3 inch frame plays for me about the same - Why? Because of the distance from the hand to the sweetspot, too far away I don't, too close I don't like either. Example is recent demoing of EXO3 tour team, sweetspot just seems to far away from hand and I personally don't like that. I was at the same time demoing the PB7 107 and even though it's 27.25-27.3 inches in length the shape of the head and the "lower sweetspot" felt much better to me and how I hit the ball. I am sure this varies significantly among players, but this is what I have found out for me after many years of demoing and playing with different frames.

esgee48
01-23-2012, 08:09 AM
XL (27.5 in) because it helps my reach. Better serve and ground strokes due to RHS. Does not affect my volleying.

A_Instead
01-23-2012, 08:22 AM
I like 27.25. It's the best of both worlds.
Its amazing what a 1/2 inch can do to/for a racquet.

Ashanti
01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
i think alot of it also depends on what type of stroke you have. if you have a whippy fast forehand very spin oriented standard length is i feel is better. As extended length is gonna take abit more time to come around or up.

kenny22
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Think personal size is a factor to consider if your short and thin extended length will help you where as if your over 6"1 long limb bigger extended length might be more of a henderance then helpful.