PDA

View Full Version : How do you think of Head TI S1 as a beginner's racquet?

aerivus
01-22-2012, 12:15 PM
So my friend decided that he will start playing tennis for this upcoming seasons.
Obviously, he needs his own racquet to play tennis, so he naturally asked me for an advice (who is rather experienced).
At the time, I had one unused racquet (Babolat Aero strike (aero pro drive's take down version) which happened to be the racquet i used when I was a beginner, so I offered him that I would let him use for a season.

Well he did not listen and went ahead to buy himself a Head Ti S1 at dick's sporting goods. I feel like buying anything related to tennis at dick's sporting goods is just a bad choice... in both price wise and quality wise.

I'd like to make him return and just use my Babolat, or even take him to a legit retailer to buy him a good racquet at almost the same price. But if the TiS1 is actually a good racquet for a beginner, I won't go as far as forcing him to do so.
So does anybody know how this racquet is?

LeeD
01-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I think I just left mine in PuertoRico last week. Is it the gray one with silver writing and some red graphics? Like 98 sizing (Head's 98 is like most other companies 95's).
Light, with a medium flex throat and soft head? Maybe mid 10 oz.?
Just fine if the incoming ball is not too hard, great for spin. Kinda weak on serves (for 4.0 levels), but nice control on groundies and long dwell time for volleys.

aerivus
01-22-2012, 12:57 PM
No, I think you are thinking of a completely different racquet. Even though I'm not yet to see his racquet, from what I've heard of it and considering its from a big box store, its more likely an oversized frame of 8~ oz. Possibly drastically head heavy..

LeeD
01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Sorry to waste your time.
I'm pretty sure mine was a Head Ti SI, like 99% sure.
Yours might be one also, or another stick.

flair
01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
I have a TiS1 and I think it is an ok stick for beginners. It is an O'S racquet and very lightweigt but a little on the weak side. It might be ideal to string it on the lower side to help generate some power.

aerivus
01-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I see, well that doesn't sound too bad considering he is a beginner. I just can't get over the fact that he played so well with my racquet, and it's probably more on the advanced player's racquet side.
Oh well, it's he's choice, I will let him do what he wants.

thug the bunny
01-23-2012, 07:31 AM
The TiS1 is blue/black, ~104 sq in, thick beam, ~9oz. I started out with this stick when I came back to the game 4 yrs ago, also bought it at D!ck's. IMO, POS.

I wish I had known more about rackets back then. The TiS1 ******** the development of my swing, encouraging and reinforcing a short stabby wristy swing. After a year or so, I found TW, got myself a LM Rad MP, and then a Bab PSL, and was on my way to playing real tennis.

esgee48
01-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Probably a reissue of the original Ti. Specs for the racquet are:

Head Ti S1
107 si,27.75 in,9.7 oz,1 pt HL,305 SW,RA 71,55-64 tension

Swing Index S1 means moderate-long swing in Head's terminology. But the racquet's stiffness provides added power. So it's not that bad a racquet for developing players. Your friend can always add lead to increase the weight. If he had purchased a racquet marked L3-L5, the racquet would also nominally require a moderate-long swing, but the player provides the added power thru higher racquet head speed.