PDA

View Full Version : Me Hitting

PatrickTennis
01-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi! After getting alot of great info here I decided I should join in. I figured i could introduce myself with a video and maybe even get some tips. :)

I'm 14, about 5'2 and I play for my high school team (hopefully varsity this year) and just recently joined USTA. I started playing competitively about a year and a half ago. Don't really have a defined style yet but I get better every day. So, here's a video of me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw4wOiNU9Sw

Thanks!

01-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Hey, nice job there! Doing a lot of things well.
Like the straight arm Fh you are sporting there at times.
Make sure you work to lead with the hands and drag the racket thru.
It will help your swing speed and control.
IMO a common error in technique on the 2 hand Bh is to
lead with the racket face ahead of the hands.
good luck with your progress!

Maui19
01-22-2012, 05:50 PM
I agree you are doing a great job! I would make sure you are paying attention to your footwork. Work on always staying quick and light on your feet so that you get your body in a good position to hit the ball.

Keep up the good work!

Chyeaah
01-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Get some electrical tape and make a 30 cm each side square. Keep the bottom of the square at around 1.2 metres high and try to aim for that square each time. You shouldn't be hitting that high.

ace_pace
01-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Nice. Just be careful of your straight arm forehand, what you shouldn't be doing is consciously keeping your arm straight. The way your arm crosses your back means that you are consciously controlling and straightening your arm. The straight arm is actually the result of using a specific stroke style that nadal and federer use. It is a slingshot style forehand (look up tricky's posts about it). To be honest i'd recomend sticking to the more comfortable double bend forehand. The double bend forehand is the forehand where you hit the ball with a bent elbow and wrist.

I am not discouraging the use of the straight arm forehand, I actually use it and love it, but me being an idiot, i took the long way and tried to learn it with almost zero experience hitting it with the double bend forehand. Having a good solid foundation in using the double bend forehand will help you with consistency as well as learn the straightarm forehand later.

When you think you are consistent enough and comfortable hitting double bend forehands proceed to read this http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1497764#post1497764

PatrickTennis
01-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Hey, nice job there! Doing a lot of things well.
Like the straight arm Fh you are sporting there at times.
Make sure you work to lead with the hands and drag the racket thru.
It will help your swing speed and control.
IMO a common error in technique on the 2 hand Bh is to
lead with the racket face ahead of the hands.
good luck with your progress!

I agree you are doing a great job! I would make sure you are paying attention to your footwork. Work on always staying quick and light on your feet so that you get your body in a good position to hit the ball

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! The advice has really helped me! :)

Get some electrical tape and make a 30 cm each side square. Keep the bottom of the square at around 1.2 metres high and try to aim for that square each time. You shouldn't be hitting that high.

Thanks for the advice, but why do you think I'm hitting too high? I've never had this problem before. Or I just didn't notice...

Nice. Just be careful of your straight arm forehand, what you shouldn't be doing is consciously keeping your arm straight. The way your arm crosses your back means that you are consciously controlling and straightening your arm. The straight arm is actually the result of using a specific stroke style that nadal and federer use. It is a slingshot style forehand (look up tricky's posts about it). To be honest i'd recomend sticking to the more comfortable double bend forehand. The double bend forehand is the forehand where you hit the ball with a bent elbow and wrist.

I am not discouraging the use of the straight arm forehand, I actually use it and love it, but me being an idiot, i took the long way and tried to learn it with almost zero experience hitting it with the double bend forehand. Having a good solid foundation in using the double bend forehand will help you with consistency as well as learn the straightarm forehand later.

When you think you are consistent enough and comfortable hitting double bend forehands proceed to read this http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1497764#post1497764

WOW! Thats quite useful info! Thanks for showing me! Already an improvement.

SoBad
01-26-2012, 08:33 PM
You look small for 14, so you'll probably grow a lot in the next couple of years and your game will develop as well.

Chyeaah
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Maybe its the angle of the camera. It looks like your hitting like 4 metres above your head xD.