PDA

View Full Version : adding weight inside the handle

lgbalfa
01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
what is the best method for adding weight inside the racquet handle?

i read the TW instructions and just wanted to get some feedback from other tennis players who have made this modification.

thanks

corners
01-22-2012, 02:30 PM
If you have a buttcap trapdoor everything is easy. Your options include:

wadding or folding up lead tape into nuggets and gluing them inside, or embedding them if your handle is foam-filled.

Fishing weights as above

Using blue tack or plumbers putty, which should both stay in place easier than lead and are easily reversible.

If you don't need to concentrate the added mass at the buttcap, you can screw some woodscrews into the foam. This is a very easy way to add significant amounts of mass.

As you can see, if you have a foam filled handle there are lots of easy ways that are reversible.

lgbalfa
01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
thank you very much for the info.

TimothyO
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
I remove the grip and apply 1/2" wide lead tape directly to the handle cutting the tape into 8 sections of equal length and applying one strip per bevel. I then put the grip back on.

For example, to add 8g requires 16" of tape. That's two inches of tape per bevel.

I don't know why but I prefer to center the tape under the center of my palm. Too close to the butt or too high above my palm and the frame feels awkward.

This approach is also easy to tweak by gently cutting and removing tape or adding more. Messing with weight INSIDE the grip can get complicated.

Downtown
01-23-2012, 07:23 AM
I add led tape to the hoop of my racquets, which improves feel for me. I've never messed with lead tape on the handle. What benefits do you receive from this? I'm kind of stoked about trying it.

lgbalfa
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I add led tape to the hoop of my racquets, which improves feel for me. I've never messed with lead tape on the handle. What benefits do you receive from this? I'm kind of stoked about trying it.

adding weight inside the handle makes the head lighter.

Andreas1965
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
In my Youtek Speed MP racquets, I simply put some nails into the foam filled handle.
Works great, easy to remove and cheap.

TaihtDuhShaat
01-23-2012, 02:44 PM
I wrap 1" wide lead tape around the top of the handle, and add the blue putty inside the butt cap. I also leave the trapped door off and put 1 gram of lead on the outermost layer of the blue putty so I can easily adjust the ratio of weight in the butt, the top of the grip, and the top of the hoop once I've gotten my racquet close to my desired specs.

lgbalfa
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
can you add lead tape directly to the inside of the butt cap?

it seems like an easy solution but i have not heard of anyone doing it.

please let me know if this is a good option.

thanks

coolblue123
01-25-2012, 03:05 AM
I always get that unbalanced feel when I tried to do the folded lead tape or fishing weights in the handle. Maybe it's mental. I've always wrapped tape around the handle instead. Depending on how headlight you want, you can wrap the tape either on top of the handle, which i rarely do, cause I usually use lead on towards the bottom to maximize balance (while using the least amt of weight) the racquet from adding weight elsewhere.