PDA

View Full Version : Adding lead to Pure Storm GT

tennis_enthusiast
01-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Hey guys, I've been trying some different stuff with my Pure Storm GT. I currently have 6 grams of lead at the 12 o clock position, and I like the feel of that, but I was wondering what adding lead to the 3 and 9 positions would do? The racket was a little bit light for me in the stock form. The rackets that I've used in the past have been about 11.7-11.9 ounces. I do like the way I'm hitting right now, but was just wondering if adding lead to other spots would be helpful. I like to play from the baseline and pound groundstrokes, but I will come to the net as needed off of short balls.

To those that use the same racket and use lead, where do you have lead, and how many grams? Thanks.

Bartelby
01-22-2012, 08:35 PM
2 grams at 12 and 4 grams between 3 and 9 would work better than 6 grams at 12.

tennis_enthusiast
01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
What is the benefit to adding more weight to the 3 and 9 as opposed to the 12? This is my first time ever adding lead to a racket. What will adding weight to the 3 and 9 do to the feel of the racket? The 6 grams at the 12 improved the power a lot, as well as the stability I thought.

Bartelby
01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Weight at the sides gives far more stability than weight at 12.

6 grams at the tip is an extra 20 swingweight points and, for me, would unbalance the racquet.

2 grams at 12 gives you some more power with 7 extra sw points, and 4 at the sides another 8 so 15 in total.

Maybe you need to counterbalance the 6 grams. Some suggest doubling that number at the grip end, but I'd add at least 2-4 grams.

tennis_enthusiast
01-22-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm fairly new to the customizing so could you explain what swing weight points are? And what is the difference and significance of having the frame balanced?

Bartelby
01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
There are others better at this than me.

But sw is a better measurement of how hard it is to swing a racquet than weight and power increases with sw.

The storm is already quite evenly balanced so if you add all the weight to the tip it will be head heavy.

Bartelby
01-22-2012, 10:19 PM
The storm already has a high swingweight so you really need less lead than you think.

Indeed, most people with this racquet would add lead to the grip by changing to leather.

tennis_enthusiast
01-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I shifted the 6 grams from the 12, to 3 grams at both the 3 and 9. My typical contact point is middle to the sides, so I'm going to just try out the weight at the sides and see how that goes.

tennis_enthusiast
01-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Just an update here. I added 3 grams of lead to the 3 and 3 grams of lead to the 9, and 3 grams to the 12. I found a more solid feel on all shots, and I really found improvement on my serve. Changed all three of my Pure Storms to this set up and really liked it.

Any other people using the Pure Storm GT and using lead, if you could share what you are doing I'd appreciate it.

Nikae
01-26-2012, 04:22 AM
Just an update here. I added 3 grams of lead to the 3 and 3 grams of lead to the 9, and 3 grams to the 12. I found a more solid feel on all shots, and I really found improvement on my serve. Changed all three of my Pure Storms to this set up and really liked it.

Any other people using the Pure Storm GT and using lead, if you could share what you are doing I'd appreciate it.

I got 3g at 9h and 3g at 3h. Maybe I will add a bit more lead at the top of the handle, but I like it like this so far.

For some reason I can't get enough spin out of this racket, which I need because all my tournaments, except one, are played on clay.

tennis_enthusiast
01-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I got 3g at 9h and 3g at 3h. Maybe I will add a bit more lead at the top of the handle, but I like it like this so far.

For some reason I can't get enough spin out of this racket, which I need because all my tournaments, except one, are played on clay.

String and technique can attribute to that. I use Solinco Tour Bite and have no problem generating spin.

tennis_enthusiast
01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
To those that have leaded up their Pure Storms, how does the head-heaviness of the racket feel to you guys?

I just tried to counterweight mine to make it more head light, and I have 9 grams on the handle and 9 split between the 3,9,12 positions. With an overgrip, that creates about a 5-6 gram difference, making it slightly more head light. Does this make sense or am I way off?

Nikae
01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
To those that have leaded up their Pure Storms, how does the head-heaviness of the racket feel to you guys?

I just tried to counterweight mine to make it more head light, and I have 9 grams on the handle and 9 split between the 3,9,12 positions. With an overgrip, that creates about a 5-6 gram difference, making it slightly more head light. Does this make sense or am I way off?

I am no expert, but in my opinion that's perfect. Racket is only 1pt head light in stock form, now that you made it 18g heavier (via lead tape), it's good to make it more head light with those 5-6g overgrip.
But it all comes down to feel, have a hit with it and you'll see if you need to take out few grams out of the handle.

tennis_enthusiast
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Yeah, I'll be back on court on Wednesday at the latest to have a hit with it for the first time. I've always used frames that are roughly 4-6 points head-light so I wanted to try to replicate that same weight on the pure storm. I like the fact that the pure storm is light enough that you can add a significant amount of lead to customize and it still isn't very heavy. Maybe 11.7 ounces in the form that I have it now.

user92626
01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Hey OP

I'm not exactly using a PS. I'm using a PureDrive GT. I put 4grams on 12spot and it serves amazing. Groundstrokes are decent though I find it a bit too "flippy" going through the contact point. I prefer a racket nicely and stably aligned (as opposed to flipping quickly on both ends) on contact.

So, now I put an extra 4grams at top of handle to counter the effect. I will test-drive it soon. It swings in living room fine :)

I hope you understand the effect of lead at 12 vs at 3, 9 or other places.