PDA

View Full Version : IG radical pro?

Fed6.1
01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Has anyone hit with the in radical pro and if you have what were your thoughts?

Lendl
01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
Shocked there are so few reviews of this racket now that it has been shipped a good week to 10 days now.

anhuynh16
01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I got a demo today and hit with it for a 1hr and a half- so heres a mini review

Its a great racket produced by head and for sure is going to be a best seller.

IMO If I were to switch I would add some lead because I got much more power than my current racket but it was "hollow" power and alot of by balls were sailng out.

A great serving racket and my serves were stronger than usual. My slice serve was better than it has been in a long time!

backhands were the usual but with more spin.

forehands were really good with alot of spin but my main problem was controlling them.

Lendl
01-22-2012, 07:00 PM
What level player are you and where would you add lead with it being so head heavy stock?

GoSurfBoy
01-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Had a short hit with it. One of the best Head frames in a long time. It's everything the Radical Pro was always meant to be.

I'd be willing to play around with lead, but it was quite nice right off the rack.

It's something I'm going to keep at the top of the list if I decide to change.

sargeinaz
01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I agree with GoSurfBoy. Head did a great job with this stick. I did a review in another thread. Here is a shorted version

"What TW said about the power, I agree with. The IG Rad Pro has a lot of plow/pop. I think I hit some of the heaviest forehands I've hit in a while (after adjusting the first 5-10 min cause I was spraying everything long) and makes a nice sound at contact (I used a dampener). It has great feel and is very comfortable (not 1 bit of arm discomfort). Serving is nice as well be it flat or slice served. The racket, in my opinion, plays more flexible than 62 rating suggests.

I really only have 2 issues with the racket. The balance is not headlight enough for my tastes and the swingweight is pretty high for me. 325 is my max pretty much. Makes the stick pretty sluggish at times and made me late on more forehands and backhands than I'd like. I know that I can wrap lead around the handle, so I will try that if I get a chance.

The second issue is that for me, the stick is too flexible. My taste in rackets is more firm/stiff nowadays and really flexible rackets are just more difficult for me to slice with and to hit my topspin 1HBH. Makes it hard for me to get a good slice and harder for me to gauge directional control. Can I get more used to the racket and this become less of an issue? Sure, but I also just prefer a firmer/stiffer feel.

Definitely a stick worth checking out, but the balance may put people off who are used to more headlight sticks like I am."

I hit again with it today. Honestly, in my opinion this is a very nice and versatile racket. Its easy to just bang forehands and backhands from the baseline and would work just as well for serve and volley. The racket is very stable at net, but due to the balance/swingweight is sluggish. I think lots of people could enjoy this stick and be effective with it as the sweetspot is a nice size for a players frame and the easy power it provides is nice because you dont have to swing super hard all the time. My earlier issue with slices and backhands seemed a lot better today. I ripped some down the line backhand winners and my slice was staying lower (thought still not as good for me as a stiffer racket).

If the IG prestige pro doesnt work out better for me, Im seriously considering picking up one of these rackets. I think Ill ask for a lower swingweight one from TW and string it with a 17G multi (the racket has 16G). That should add even more spin and slightly lessen the swingweight. Then I'd either throw on a leather grip or wrap about 10g of lead at the bottom of the handle because the current balance starts to get to me after an hour of hitting. If I had a 2 handed backhand I could probably leave the balance as is.

Fed6.1
01-23-2012, 12:15 AM
I am using a ig speed 18x20 would I feel the 15 grams swingweight difference a lot if I used this racquet? Would this racquet because it has more power which means I can use a shorter swing compensate for the swingweight difference? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Lendl
01-23-2012, 03:13 AM
You sound similar to my preferences. I like the stiffer feel and 5-7 points head light.

What tension is your demo strung at and what string?

I agree with GoSurfBoy. Head did a great job with this stick. I did a review in another thread. Here is a shorted version

"What TW said about the power, I agree with. The IG Rad Pro has a lot of plow/pop. I think I hit some of the heaviest forehands I've hit in a while (after adjusting the first 5-10 min cause I was spraying everything long) and makes a nice sound at contact (I used a dampener). It has great feel and is very comfortable (not 1 bit of arm discomfort). Serving is nice as well be it flat or slice served. The racket, in my opinion, plays more flexible than 62 rating suggests.

I really only have 2 issues with the racket. The balance is not headlight enough for my tastes and the swingweight is pretty high for me. 325 is my max pretty much. Makes the stick pretty sluggish at times and made me late on more forehands and backhands than I'd like. I know that I can wrap lead around the handle, so I will try that if I get a chance.

The second issue is that for me, the stick is too flexible. My taste in rackets is more firm/stiff nowadays and really flexible rackets are just more difficult for me to slice with and to hit my topspin 1HBH. Makes it hard for me to get a good slice and harder for me to gauge directional control. Can I get more used to the racket and this become less of an issue? Sure, but I also just prefer a firmer/stiffer feel.

Definitely a stick worth checking out, but the balance may put people off who are used to more headlight sticks like I am."

I hit again with it today. Honestly, in my opinion this is a very nice and versatile racket. Its easy to just bang forehands and backhands from the baseline and would work just as well for serve and volley. The racket is very stable at net, but due to the balance/swingweight is sluggish. I think lots of people could enjoy this stick and be effective with it as the sweetspot is a nice size for a players frame and the easy power it provides is nice because you dont have to swing super hard all the time. My earlier issue with slices and backhands seemed a lot better today. I ripped some down the line backhand winners and my slice was staying lower (thought still not as good for me as a stiffer racket).

If the IG prestige pro doesnt work out better for me, Im seriously considering picking up one of these rackets. I think Ill ask for a lower swingweight one from TW and string it with a 17G multi (the racket has 16G). That should add even more spin and slightly lessen the swingweight. Then I'd either throw on a leather grip or wrap about 10g of lead at the bottom of the handle because the current balance starts to get to me after an hour of hitting. If I had a 2 handed backhand I could probably leave the balance as is.

sargeinaz
01-23-2012, 05:21 AM
Head FXP 16 is the string and I'm assuming it's 2 lbs over mid tension since it's from TW

Dgdavid
01-23-2012, 05:42 AM
I just got rushed into a stringing decision on the IG Radical Pro i just ordered. Getting RPM Blast at 56lbs (2lbs under mid tension). Any views? Have I ballsed it up?

Bartelby
01-23-2012, 06:47 AM
51 is more like 2 lbs under mid tension with the revised stringing recommendation of 48-57.

Anton
01-23-2012, 06:49 AM
I just got rushed into a stringing decision on the IG Radical Pro i just ordered. Getting RPM Blast at 56lbs (2lbs under mid tension). Any views? Have I ballsed it up?

I would really go at least 60lbs in this frame (with at least 16 gauge)

Dgdavid
01-23-2012, 07:05 AM
well, doesn't sound like it is a terrible string choice but will report back when it arrives after a hit.

anhuynh16
01-23-2012, 07:11 AM
What level player are you and where would you add lead with it being so head heavy stock?

I'm junior in super champs so maybe 4.0-4.5

Although I wish it had black caps though.

sargeinaz
01-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I would really go at least 60lbs in this frame (with at least 16 gauge)

Why would you string it that high at least? Id only do 60 lbs if i was doing a full bed of gut. And why not 17 gauge?

lidoazndiabloboi
01-23-2012, 08:34 AM
I felt the racket was actually low powered. But since its only 11 sum ounces, there is a lot of potential for customizing.

Im not too fond of the clear CAP grommet. I was hoping to swap it with a youtek/microgel black prestige CAP grommet. Has anyone tried this yet and does it work?

Anton
01-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Why would you string it that high at least? Id only do 60 lbs if i was doing a full bed of gut. And why not 17 gauge?

Because it's an open pattern racket with solid swingweight.

At 56lbs with 17 gauge this racket will have very high launch angle and will probably be tough to control.

GoSurfBoy
01-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I hit with it at 60 and it just killed the frame.

Tried it again at 57 and it was a whole other animal. Both were hybrids, just a tension-drop opened up the frame.

Slice backhands were sweet, too. Kept winning slice battles.

Dgdavid
01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I hit with it at 60 and it just killed the frame.

Tried it again at 57 and it was a whole other animal. Both were hybrids, just a tension-drop opened up the frame.

Slice backhands were sweet, too. Kept winning slice battles.

If it played better with a hybrid at 57, do you think I am okay with RPM Blast (a co-poloy I believe) at 56lbs to do the frame justice in my testing?

GoSurfBoy
01-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Who knows? I have often found Head frames to play slightly better with Head strings (no, I have no relation with Head), but many frames are very string sensitive to type and tension.

Can only give it a go and see.

sargeinaz
01-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Because it's an open pattern racket with solid swingweight.

At 56lbs with 17 gauge this racket will have very high launch angle and will probably be tough to control.

I hit very flat so the 17G doesn't bother me. In fact it helps me when I hit slice serves or drop shots or lobs etc. I've never had an issue with 17G, it's all i use and I've never strung any racket above 57. Different strokes I guess.

GoSurfBoy
01-23-2012, 10:40 AM
17g is all I use in a 16 main frame. I go to 18g in an 18 frame.

Anton
01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
17g is all I use in a 16 main frame. I go to 18g in an 18 frame.

I guess I brush the ball upwards more. I pop 17g poly in open pattern in about 4-5 hours of play.

GoSurfBoy
01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Not to go off topic too much, but in a 16 main frame with 17g, if you really hit with pop and spin, you ain't gonna get much more from conventional poly, unless you get into gut mains and poly crosses. You're trading off spin/control/feel for a bit more longevity.

I get sent a top poly and get 4 or 5 hours, max, but have switched to L-Tec. Now getting 20-30 hours without it dying.

Would love to re-try the Rad' Pro with L-Tec! Apropos of nothing whatsoever, I have the new 2012 6.1 95 BLX here. Going to give it a serious shot against the Rad Pro.

Anton
01-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Not to go off topic too much, but in a 16 main frame with 17g, if you really hit with pop and spin, you ain't gonna get much more from conventional poly, unless you get into gut mains and poly crosses. You're trading off spin/control/feel for a bit more longevity.

My experience says otherwise.

In open pattern rackets I use 16g strings because 17g strings don't last nearly as long and do not give me as solid-yet-comfy string bed feel and control.

I just checked out what professional tennis players string their 16x19 rackets with and it looks like 16g is king (15L for nadal) - if it is good enough for pros it's good enough for me.

sargeinaz
01-23-2012, 03:49 PM
My experience says otherwise.

In open pattern rackets I use 16g strings because 17g strings don't last nearly as long and do not give me as solid-yet-comfy string bed feel and control.

I just checked out what professional tennis players string their 16x19 rackets with and it looks like 16g is king (15L for nadal) - if it is good enough for pros it's good enough for me.

Well if you're a pro or hit as hard as a pro, then more power to you. Comparing us to the pros doesnt really work since none of us can hit like them. Us mortals can use 17G just fine.

AlpineCadet
01-23-2012, 03:51 PM
I bought three of the IG Radical Pros and am now thinking about switching to the IG Radical MP since I need something with a lighter swingweight. Is there any way to customize these frames to feel less heavy? Kinda gets too heavy for serving/dubs IMO.

Bartelby
01-23-2012, 04:10 PM
A leather grip with or without some blutak under the butt cap wll make it more manoeuvrable.

This works for blade 98s and this racquet seems a bit like a Wilson market-stealer.

Anton
01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Well if you're a pro or hit as hard as a pro, then more power to you. Comparing us to the pros doesnt really work since none of us can hit like them. Us mortals can use 17G just fine.

I'm not comparing you to anything and I'm not saying you have to use 16 gauge. I said I liked 16g in open pattern rackets, do whatever you want with it.

Here is me hitting with freshly strung 97" 16x19 with 16g poly at 60 lbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37eQtn3Hlb0

Does it look like I need lower tension and/or thinner gauge?

Lendl
01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
If you are unloading the Pros let me know I may be interested if they are a 1/2 grip.

I bought three of the IG Radical Pros and am now thinking about switching to the IG Radical MP since I need something with a lighter swingweight. Is there any way to customize these frames to feel less heavy? Kinda gets too heavy for serving/dubs IMO.

Yourtenniscoach
01-23-2012, 06:27 PM

Didn't you demo them? Would adding some handle weight decrease the swingweight?

CesarMorales92
02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Alpine Cadet
What's the grips size on your 3 ig radical pro

user92626
02-10-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm surprised that the IG Rad Pro is so light now. It's like the apdgt. It's only a few grams heavier than the Rad MP.

Yourtenniscoach
02-10-2012, 11:58 AM
The more I play with these the better they get. It takes sometime to get used to the flex but once you do the power is awesome.

AlpineCadet
02-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Alpine Cadet
What's the grips size on your 3 ig radical pro

You live in pasadena? I'm close by. The frames are in L3. We should hit sometime.

Alzer
02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I had a hit with this racket today (completely stock) and this might actually get me to change from my TGKs... I didn't find it at all sluggish (I'm just average build\height), forehands and my 1hb were as good if not better than usual. It gave volleys "stick" without effort. Didn't hit any serves. Will be hitting with it again just to make sure it wasn't a case of, new racket syndrome. Shame the paint job is a bit sucky.

CesarMorales92
02-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Alpine Cadet I'm down
Here is my email vsrida@yahoo.com
L3 is big ... Lol
I use a 1/8 :P
If your down some girl I know demoed me
-pstgt (personal choice going to get 3 soon )
-purr drive roddick gt 2012
-aero storm gt

Yourtenniscoach
02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
I had a hit with this racket today (completely stock) and this might actually get me to change from my TGKs... I didn't find it at all sluggish (I'm just average build\height), forehands and my 1hb were as good if not better than usual. It gave volleys "stick" without effort. Didn't hit any serves. Will be hitting with it again just to make sure it wasn't a case of, new racket syndrome. Shame the paint job is a bit sucky.

I agree 100%. I don't understand people who say its sluggish too heavy. How weak are people these days? :shock: The PJ grows on you, just give it some time. :)

BobFL
02-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Tried and I really liked it. Super comfy, very flexy, good power, and really open pattern. And I mean REALLY. Never so sooooo open 16x19. More open than pro open or pure drive for example...

user92626
02-11-2012, 01:20 PM
Can some of you owners of this racket confirm Strung Weight: 11.4oz / 323.18g?

Yourtenniscoach
02-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Can some of you owners of this racket confirm Strung Weight: 11.4oz / 323.18g?

Mine is 11.5 oz - no overgrip or dampener.

Alzer
02-11-2012, 01:54 PM
weighed mine only this evening - 323g with original grip + overgrip. and is just under its stated 320 balance point.

Geology_Rocks!
02-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Tried and I really liked it. Super comfy, very flexy, good power, and really open pattern. And I mean REALLY. Never so sooooo open 16x19. More open than pro open or pure drive for example...

The drill pattern should be the same of the prestige pro, no?

I don't think the PP is that open.

(If the drill pattern is not the same ignore this post)

BobFL
02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
The drill pattern should be the same of the prestige pro, no?

I don't think the PP is that open.

(If the drill pattern is not the same ignore this post)

OK, I think I'll just ignore it :)

Geology_Rocks!
02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
OK, I think I'll just ignore it :)

Thanks for ignoring :D

I guess it means no black CAP for the IGRP.

rogifed1987
02-13-2012, 03:17 AM
Thanks for ignoring :D

I guess it means no black CAP for the IGRP.

In fact, IG radical pro and prestige pro have the same drill pattern.

Here's my IG radical pro installed with black CAP grommet of prestige pro.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6869082811_7f49a0853a_b.jpg

red rook
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
L I B
10char

Yourtenniscoach
02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Yuck- that black caps look hideous on the IG Rad Pro.

Geology_Rocks!
02-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I thought it would look better too.

But looks better than the clear one IMO.

airdupont
02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Doesn't look to be fitting properly either!

Bartelby
02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
The radical has a round and the prestige a flat beam so maybe the strips don't sit as flat

Doesn't look to be fitting properly either!

sunof tennis
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM

I liked it too. I thought it had a lot of pop. Ball seemed to be jumping off the court on my forehands. Very easy power. While I didn't have any trouble getting it around, I could tell that I normally play with more head light racquets. Switching back and forth did throw off my timing some. I think I would put a leather grip on it and thereby increase the weight in the handle to make it slightly more headlight.

Yourtenniscoach
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
I thought it would look better too.

But looks better than the clear one IMO.

I like the clear caps on the Rad Pro but HATE them on the Prestiges. The prestiges should have black ones on them.

Alzer
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Much prefer the black caps... might be tempted to do that to mine!

Yourtenniscoach
02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Much prefer the black caps... might be tempted to do that to mine!

I think it clashes since there is no black on the Radical Pro. The Radical Pro is orange and a redish brown color. IMO.

Alzer
02-15-2012, 09:07 AM
I think it clashes since there is no black on the Radical Pro. The Radical Pro is orange and a redish brown color. IMO.

Is there anything on the racket that the clear caps matched with?

Yourtenniscoach
02-17-2012, 07:47 AM
Is there anything on the racket that the clear caps matched with?

No but you could still see the colors and design of the frames through the caps.

wills38
06-26-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi rogifed1987, would love to see a few more pics of the capped rad pro to get an idea for how well it fits in if poss. Looks good though :)