PDA

View Full Version : Grommets for Prince Graphite Oversize (4 stripes version)

chanhoward
01-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Hi All
I recently purchase a new replacement gommets set for one of my Prince Graphite Original Oversize (4 stripes version)
I ordered a grommets set for "Prince Tour graphite oversize" thinking that it will fit my frame. But upon installation, the bumper guard could not fit into the frame. It is slightly shorter and the holes do not fit in well (as compared to my older bumper guard). My mistake.....
I might have made a mistake here as my understanding was that the frame size for the POG OS(4 stripes) and the newer Prince Tour graphite is the same? (there might be slight differences between in specs such as weight, balance etc)
Anyone have any ideas about this?
Guess I have to get the correct grommet sets from Tennis warehouse

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks
Howard

mad dog1
01-23-2012, 08:22 AM
The Prince Tour Graphite OS grommet set is the one that's supposed to fit the POG OS. The problem isn't the grommet set. The problem is that some POG OS 4 stripe versions have a slightly different drill pattern spacing between grommet holes.

The same thing happened to me before. I replaced the grommet sets in 2 POG OS 4 stripe sticks. For one, i had to cut down the grommet strips into multiple pieces to get them to fit down by the throat. The bumper guard fit fine though. It required some time. Had to work it in slowly with an awl. For the other, the grommet strips fit right in easily. The stick that had the grommet fit issues was made in Thailand if i recall correctly.

chanhoward
01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi MadDdog1
Thanks dude! That sure is helpful. You are right. My grommet was made in Thailand ( the plastic material was different compared to my broken original grommet)
I had no problems installing the grommets in the throat and sides of my POG, just the bumper area...)
Would you suggest that I cut the bumper into multiple pieces to fit? Let me know, I will give it a try since I have nothing to lose as I could not get a refund/replacement for the grommets that I "wrongly" purchased?

Thanks again!

Howard

000KFACTOR90000
01-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Hi All
I recently purchase a new replacement gommets set for one of my Prince Graphite Original Oversize (4 stripes version)
I ordered a grommets set for "Prince Tour graphite oversize" thinking that it will fit my frame. But upon installation, the bumper guard could not fit into the frame. It is slightly shorter and the holes do not fit in well (as compared to my older bumper guard). My mistake.....
I might have made a mistake here as my understanding was that the frame size for the POG OS(4 stripes) and the newer Prince Tour graphite is the same? (there might be slight differences between in specs such as weight, balance etc)
Anyone have any ideas about this?
Guess I have to get the correct grommet sets from Tennis warehouse

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Might be a stupid question but do you have a stringers awl? I changed the grommets not that long ago on my pog os 4 stripe with no problems & used

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-PGROMS.html 4th from the bottom / left column

mad dog1
01-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi MadDdog1
Thanks dude! That sure is helpful. You are right. My grommet was made in Thailand ( the plastic material was different compared to my broken original grommet)
I had no problems installing the grommets in the throat and sides of my POG, just the bumper area...)
Would you suggest that I cut the bumper into multiple pieces to fit? Let me know, I will give it a try since I have nothing to lose as I could not get a refund/replacement for the grommets that I "wrongly" purchased?

Thanks again!

Howard

sounds like the string hole spacing in your racquet is the same as your grommet strip. the bumpers don't always go in easily because it curves around the head. you want to start from the middle and work your way outward. finish one side, then do the other. and you do need a tennis awl to wiggle the grommets into the frame holes around the curve at the head. it takes some time especially the 1st time, but once you've done it a few times, they're easier.

Sanford
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
Sort of the same question for the Mid sized one. Does anyone know if there will be issues while trying to replace the old POG single stripe or four stripe with the current POG grommets offered through TW? I realize the head size is bigger in the latest version but am hoping it would be a very minor adjustment if needed.

000KFACTOR90000
01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Sort of the same question for the Mid sized one. Does anyone know if there will be issues while trying to replace the old POG single stripe or four stripe with the current POG grommets offered through TW? I realize the head size is bigger in the latest version but am hoping it would be a very minor adjustment if needed.

I just put my new 4 stripe mid on top of the tw pog and they're the same headsize, drill pattern ang grommet as far as i can tell.

mad dog1
01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
i replaced the grommets sets on 2 POG 4 stripe mids w/ the current POG grommet sets and had no problems at all. they fit perfectly.

the only one i had a problem with was the 1 POG 4 stripe OS where the grommet strip didn't fit right around the throat. the drill pattern was definitely a slight bit different. i replaced the grommet set for another POG 4 stripe OS and they went in perfectly.

Sanford
01-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Thanks kfactor90 for checking that out. I recently bought an older POG and didn't realize to check if there would be any problems with the grommets. I did a little research on this forum and i guess they are the same head size, but the 90 vs 93 description was based on measuring within and outside of the frame. In the end it should be the same size and shape.

jjs891
01-25-2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks kfactor90 for checking that out. I recently bought an older POG and didn't realize to check if there would be any problems with the grommets. I did a little research on this forum and i guess they are the same head size, but the 90 vs 93 description was based on measuring within and outside of the frame. In the end it should be the same size and shape.

I have replaced grommets on both 4 stripe and 1 stripe POG mids with current replacements and had no problems whatsoever. You'd be just fine.

Sanford
01-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks for confirming everyone! Definitely a relief on to know I can still use the old sticks and refurbishing them with new grommets. Just wish TW would keep ample stock in their leather grips now, they seem to be sold out all the time!