PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch racquet ?

Roddick85
01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm hesitating.
For the past 2 years or so, I've been using the Head Youtek Speed MP (18X20) and been satisfied with it. However I'm not entirely sure it's the right match for my play style. I'm a 4.0 player with an all court game, powerful 1st serve (110MPH +) and a good kick serve, always been a 1hbh and always will but it is my main weakness and I've decided to address it this year (last year was the serve).

I heard that a larger head size is more suited to 2hbh and that a smaller head size could provide more stability for 1hbh ? I also find my racquet to be rather light, I think I could benefit from something that is a bit heavier.

So far, i've only considered the Wilson BLX Pro Staff Six.One 90 (Fed's racquet) but I have to admit, the smaller head size scares me. The smallest racquet i've owned in the past was a 95sq in, I was able to play well with it, but would going down to a 90sq in make that much of a difference ? When I held that racquet in my hand at the store the other day, it felt OK, I did enjoy the heavier frame, but i'm not entirely convinced, heck i'd say if it weren't Federer's racquet, i'm not even sure I would even look at it, probably like most people. The employee warned me that a lot of people who bought that racquet just because it was Federer's racquet regretted it because they're game wasn't good enough for that stick.

Other thing I considered doing was to add lead tape to my current racquet to have a heavier frame ? I'm not sure about what I should do, keep my racquet, customize it, or change for something more adapted to my play style ?

Thanks

clutch21
01-23-2012, 02:46 PM
In my experience, if your happy with the speed, I wouldn't switch. I am almost exactly in the same boat as you. I use an 18x20 speed mp, which I love, and hit a hard topspin forehand and a semi-decent slice 1hb. I hit mostly spin serves though. I am a low 4.5.

Anyways I recently tried to switch to a K90. The head size made consistent play difficult unless I was really on my game. I also thought it didn't do too much for my backhand. Nonetheless, I hit some nice shots and had some moments with it. However, long story short, one day when I was frustrated with the K90, I picked back up my speed and remembered why it was my go to racquet.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't try out a smaller head size. It's better to try it, than stay curious. But I wouldn't read too much into which racquet characteristics should be used in a player game (i.e. smaller head size with 1hb). Good luck!

roundiesee
01-23-2012, 03:59 PM
I think it's more in the technique; you could hit a wonderful one-hander with your current racket if the correct technique were applied, as you would a 90 si racket. I think you should not be worried too much about the head size (hold up a 100 si racket against a 90 and you woud be surprised that the difference is not that great). However I do agree that if you were to make the switch to a heavier racket, it would probably be better to go to a 95. Make sure it is a head light racket and I'm sure the change will "force" you to be a bit more accurate with your one-hander. Best of luck! :)

Captain Tezuka
01-23-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm hesitating.
For the past 2 years or so, I've been using the Head Youtek Speed MP (18X20) and been satisfied with it. However I'm not entirely sure it's the right match for my play style. I'm a 4.0 player with an all court game, powerful 1st serve (110MPH +) and a good kick serve, always been a 1hbh and always will but it is my main weakness and I've decided to address it this year (last year was the serve).

I heard that a larger head size is more suited to 2hbh and that a smaller head size could provide more stability for 1hbh ? I also find my racquet to be rather light, I think I could benefit from something that is a bit heavier.

So far, i've only considered the Wilson BLX Pro Staff Six.One 90 (Fed's racquet) but I have to admit, the smaller head size scares me. The smallest racquet i've owned in the past was a 95sq in, I was able to play well with it, but would going down to a 90sq in make that much of a difference ? When I held that racquet in my hand at the store the other day, it felt OK, I did enjoy the heavier frame, but i'm not entirely convinced, heck i'd say if it weren't Federer's racquet, i'm not even sure I would even look at it, probably like most people. The employee warned me that a lot of people who bought that racquet just because it was Federer's racquet regretted it because they're game wasn't good enough for that stick.

Other thing I considered doing was to add lead tape to my current racquet to have a heavier frame ? I'm not sure about what I should do, keep my racquet, customize it, or change for something more adapted to my play style ?

Thanks

Roddick85

Have you tried the Wilson Pro Staff 95 BLX? It's right for you at least in the Headsize department. I say experiment with your current racquet before you go out and get another.

-Tezuka

pingu
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
OP: Since you've already familiar with the feel of your current racket, I would try to lead it up first before completely making the switch, especially switching from different manufacture.

Good luck!

Roddick85
01-24-2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll stick with my racquet and try to add some lead tape first and see after.

About the 95 BLX, if my memory serves me well, isn't that racquet lighter than my current one?