PDA

View Full Version : Help breaking down all the different Head racquets?

Brett
01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Just like a good overview on how some of the terms are different than others for someone who might want to purchase a racquet from Head but doesn't know the differences in the racquet.

For example what does the IG mean and what makes it different than the others without it, what is the difference between the YOUTEK IG Speed 16x19 and the YOUTEK IG Speed 300, etc.

Any type of overview for all the Head racquets would be extremely helpful. Anything from how they play, etc. Any help.

Thanks!

Maui19
01-23-2012, 06:36 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I find the line so confusing that I never seriously considered a Head racquet.

eidolonshinobi
01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
If you're looking through the TW website, there's a "Specifications" tab for each racquet. For example the Head IG 16x19 has a heavier strung weight and swing weight, while has a higher stiffness compared to the 300 version. You can also use the compare button on top of each individual racquet page.

ChicagoJack
01-24-2012, 02:05 AM
Hi Brett,

If you try to figure it out from TW (first) you'll just get a big headache. Just go directly to the Head website. It's much easier to understand the separate lines, and the racquets within each line there. Once you have the overall birds eye view, the big picture, then come on back to TW and sift thru all the little details.

-Jack

TimothyO
01-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Brett,

I had the same issue and can explain some parts.

First, there are the underlying technologies which are simply how the graphite chemical soup is composed. In order of introduction to the market these include:

- Liquid Metal
- MicroGel
- YouTek
- YouTek + IG

(I might have LM and MG reversed...someone else correct me if that's true)

So, you can have MG, YT, and YT+IG versions of some frames.

Then you have the different product lines. These include but are not limited to:

- Prestige
- Radical
- Speed.

I'm not sure what each is SUPPOSED to mean relative to the other. Perhaps someone else can explain it. For example, I know in the Babolats the Pure Storm is supposed to be their lower power, control oriented frames and are softer than the Pure Drives and Aero Drives.

Therefore, you can have MicroGel, YouTek, and YouTek IG versions of different Speeds.

You can have MicroGel, YouTek, and YouTek IG versions of different Radicals.

etc...

As for the Speeds I've owned and/or demoed the:

- YouTek Speed 16x19 (great spin, less control)
- YouTek IG Speed 16x19 (too stiff)

- YouTek Speed 18x20 (great control, less spin)
- YouTek IG Speed 18x20 (also too stiff for me)

- YouTek IG Speed 300 (my favorite of the line...low power, great control, great spin, definitely needs lead and makes for great customization platform for those who enjoy frames up to 12 oz...outstanding comfort too!)

I've demoed some of the Prestige and Radicals and even bought a cheap, used Radical OS but those other products line haven't done anything for me. I'm trying to demo the Prestige S and Radical Pro at the moment.

JackB1 has more experience with Head. Perhaps he can explain the positioning of the Prestige/Radical/Speed lines.

mars76
01-24-2012, 07:11 AM
Adding to TimothyO's post.

I am not sure about Speed (i think this might be a beginner model).

Generally radicals and prestige model are high end.Prestige being more control oriented (players racquet) and more often than not with small head sizes (93 -Mid and 98 - Mid Plus)

I am not sure what NRTP (or what ever equivalent) rating you have.

But radical will be a good stick to start with.

user92626
01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
I have played with MG Radical MP and now Speed Elite. They feel very much alike for me. I 've swung with a Prestige a few times. It's for strong players who prefer mass, stiffness and precision with small head size.

For Speed and Radical, it's just a way for different combos for weight, balance, length, size, etc.

seb23
01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
The prestige is basically the least powerful of the 3 frames mentioned, and i believe the speed is supposed to be in between the prestige and radical.

They are all players frames and you will need to provide you own power

maybe people can help you more if you say what standard you are, what your games like and what racket you currently play with

cork_screw
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Let me preface, don't concern yourself with the racquet technology. It's mainly a term used to entice consumers into opening their minds to opening their wallets. That is the first step companies do, they create the *idea* and a reason or an excuse for you (the consumer) to buy something from them. It's the psychology of what they tell you and what you believe, they need you to first step in and walk through that door. If you want to say that yeah this stuff does make the frame flex on a soft shot and stiffens up on a hard shot and you will believe it and it might make you hit differently or give you more confidence and that might actually change the outcome of your experience. But in reality, my bet is, I doubt people would be able to tell if there was a controlled study, what the technology actually advertised what it does.

If you really want to know what IG is marketed as it is supposed to stiffen and strengthen whatever it is fused with while at the same time being lighter than other alternatives that have been used in the past, well it is used in the surfing industry as well. It is a legit use of fibers that are supposed to make whatever composite they are fused with stiffer.

Can we talk about BLX from wilson? Really, with the cortex and now wilson? Anyone hear of a vibration dampener. I don't think anyone has been requesting for more muted feel as a simple rubberband or o' ring could easily do the trick. So let's stop all this b.s. about how much the public wants a muted stick, because I don't think we really do, I digress (slightly). So basically they created a problem only to be updated by ampufeel to solve it ???

Ok, let's talk racquets. In a nutshell this is how I feel about the main lines that head offers. Radicals tend to be softer, more flexible, more comfortable, nice sized sweet spot. accurate to a degree and the power is good and apparently the pro is supposed to be loaded with it and the mp is better for net game.

The speeds seem to be very stiff (which I am in love with at the moment) with a large round (not oval head shape) and for me they are a infusion between the spin that a aero drive produces, but with the properities of a head racquet with all the control. But most of all this frame is stiff and not as comfortable as the previous two mentioned, but it isn't discomforting, just isn't padded like a pillow like when I hit with something like a Radical

The Prestiges are very pricise and for me, they don't get nearly the amount of spin as the two aforementioned, but I feel they do have more of a driving ball trajectory to them, as opposed to especially the Speeds where they have a more higher trajectory to the balls. The prestiges have great focus, and aim. And most of all they feel like nothing but strings. When I play with them they are pretty much a racquet that holds the strings, when I play with it, I don't think that I'm holding a racquet, but a placeholder for my strings. Which is good, and I don't mean the old classic prestiges because they have some unique feel. But the new crop especially the ones now modled after the pt's and especially speaking the pt's would be included with this as well are to me pure ingredients to whatever you wish to put into them. That's why they are also so great to customize because it's like you're working with dough or a blank canvas. They don't have anything that overwhelms factors like other sticks.