PDA

View Full Version : Best comfort technologies

Crocodile
01-24-2012, 02:29 AM
For the past 10-15 years I've always used either a Volkl 10/Becker 11 series or a Dunlop 200 or a Pro Kennex 5 as these racquets to me represented brands which by and large made racquets that were generally up there when it came to making soft, comfortable racquets. What I wanted to know is this, are these brands still ahead or have the others caught up. For example is the EXO Tour and Rebel 2012 models along with the new Federer racquet and Head Prestiges now up there as well. Would the Organix 10 325 still absorb shock better than the other racquets due to Volkl's handle technology and frame feel. What about Donnay's new foam filled racquets. All the racquets I have used are strung in NXT sensation at around 55. How would you rate the frames mentioned above for comfort from best to worst and are there any frames that I should consider that I have not mentioned.
Just as a reference point I play and teach tennis 7 days a week and generally prefer to customise the weight to about 340gs.

TennisMaverick
01-24-2012, 02:51 AM
For the past 10-15 years I've always used either a Volkl 10/Becker 11 series or a Dunlop 200 or a Pro Kennex 5 as these racquets to me represented brands which by and large made racquets that were generally up there when it came to making soft, comfortable racquets. What I wanted to know is this, are these brands still ahead or have the others caught up. For example is the EXO Tour and Rebel 2012 models along with the new Federer racquet and Head Prestiges now up there as well. Would the Organix 10 325 still absorb shock better than the other racquets due to Volkl's handle technology and frame feel. What about Donnay's new foam filled racquets. All the racquets I have used are strung in NXT sensation at around 55. How would you rate the frames mentioned above for comfort from best to worst and are there any frames that I should consider that I have not mentioned.
Just as a reference point I play and teach tennis 7 days a week and generally prefer to customise the weight to about 340gs.

The X10 325 is just as arm friendly as any 10-Line frame and the BB 11, and I say that as someone who has played with every Volkl 10-line frame from the first Tournament Pro in the USA to the Comp 10, and currently, with the London Tour. The X-grip system is pretty amazing. The O-Port Prince frames have a real nice string bed, but they are not as good as the V1s with regard to arm saving, but they are close.

zio78
01-24-2012, 03:59 AM
Low flex racquets are very comfortable. The Prince EXO3s are the most comfortable racquets I have ever used. Maybe it's the low flex maybe EXO3 technology (probably both), those racquets are really comfortable and perform nice overall.

mikeler
01-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Low flex racquets are very comfortable. The Prince EXO3s are the most comfortable racquets I have ever used. Maybe it's the low flex maybe EXO3 technology (probably both), those racquets are really comfortable and perform nice overall.

I use a Pro Kennex 7G and have hit with the Exos. Both are extremely comfortable. The Exos have such a low flex that you really have to swing out to get some pop on the ball. The PK 7G still has the power of a stiff frame but feels great.

Captain Tezuka
01-24-2012, 04:39 AM

Hi there,

For the Wilson line try racquets with the triad technology it completely separates the components of the throat from each other and the hollow parts are filled with Wilson's Iso-Zorb technology to help cushion the impact of the frame after you have hit the ball.

TennisCJC
01-24-2012, 06:26 AM
I second the opinion that volkl organix is still top of the line for comfort. I play a weighted up org 295. It actually weighs in at 12 oz/335+ SW 5 HL with my mods - as heavy as org 325 but higher SW. The organix line plays firmer than previous volkl but I love this attribute. The org line has a high stock twist weight (13.4g) which makes it very stable torsionally - wide sweet spot if you drop tension on the crosses or use soft cross string in a hybrid setup. The flex is still in the shaft and the new vibra handle eats vibrations better than previous volkls. The org line also has a very solid feel at contact. As solid as heavier rackets. I think the cellulose stuff works - gives nice thump at contact.

TimothyO
01-24-2012, 06:37 AM
- flex of 60 or less

- Wilson Shock Shield replacement grip + OG

- Natural Gut mains (soft co-poly cross ok)

- Larger head with open string pattern

- Have enjoyed Babolat GTs even up to low 60s in flex

- Volkls have been good too up to mid 60s, perhaps due to grip tech

- Prince O Ports have proven comfy

- ZERO luck with Wilson...seems to hurt me no matter how low the flex rating.

ollinger
01-24-2012, 08:05 AM
The Vantage Bastcore frames and the Vantage 63-flex custom frames are the most comfortable I've ever tried. Have used nearly every recent Prince and Volkl, some are good but not as soothing as the Vantages.

zio78
01-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Wilsons hurt me also...why??? Maybe my swing style? Anyone else?

suppawat
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Most Volkl racquets I tried including PB10 Mid/MP, Organix 10 are very stable, and pretty comfortable but they lacks power. Prince frames are also comfortable but they have different problems. EXO3 Tour is soft but hard to control. Rebel is very solid and soft, but too low in power. Dunlop AG200 gave me a nice balance of power, control and comfort when stringing with multifilament.

Donnay is also a good choice if you plan to play poly string. The solid core contruction reduce vibration and harsh feeling of poly really well. The most comfortable racquet I have tried are X-Dual Pro 97 and X-Dual Gold 99. Feel like hitting the ball with a pillow.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pIOSysKy3ufV17uqtTa-3pOtD8Y7NGq5c0yrDfY6wXU3JG-vmTTjP7NKm3ICGiSZDDF_4rhSMxH7exOF-ECVllw/Solinco_Tour_Bite_16L_Barb_Wire_17_Donnay_X-Dual_Pro.JPG

Cesare
01-24-2012, 06:27 PM
The X10 325 is just as arm friendly as any 10-Line frame and the BB 11, and I say that as someone who has played with every Volkl 10-line frame from the first Tournament Pro in the USA to the Comp 10, and currently, with the London Tour. The X-grip system is pretty amazing. The O-Port Prince frames have a real nice string bed, but they are not as good as the V1s with regard to arm saving, but they are close.

Mav, i've just bought a like-new Delta Core Legend with a Babolat leather grip. Unstrung weight 324 grams, 31 cm balance. Perfect specs to me. i've strung this one with babolat vs tonic mains and tecnifibre ruff code crosses(54/50 lbs) i've found the frame to be very comfortable, stable and solid,with great plow through. more comfortable and forgiving than the Becker 11 midplus. i love this frame so much, i think i'm going to switch from my old beloved Tour 10 midplus! Control is phenomenal as my Volkl, bigger sweetspot and more stable at the net. Again, with this string set-up, it is one of the most comfortable and sweetest Becker-Volkl ever.

Fuji
01-24-2012, 06:38 PM
- flex of 60 or less

- Wilson Shock Shield replacement grip + OG

- Natural Gut mains (soft co-poly cross ok)

- Larger head with open string pattern

- Have enjoyed Babolat GTs even up to low 60s in flex

- Volkls have been good too up to mid 60s, perhaps due to grip tech

- Prince O Ports have proven comfy

- ZERO luck with Wilson...seems to hurt me no matter how low the flex rating.

Not going to lie, but that Replacement has been a total life saver for me. I can even play my PDRGT+ with a poly hybrid without any significant arm pain following. Of course it's not the smartest way, but that grip has been proven time and time again for me, to be very playable and making any frame feel a lot better on my arm.

-Fuji

TennisMaverick
01-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Mav, i've just bought a like-new Delta Core Legend with a Babolat leather grip. Unstrung weight 324 grams, 31 cm balance. Perfect specs to me. i've strung this one with babolat vs tonic mains and tecnifibre ruff code crosses(54/50 lbs) i've found the frame to be very comfortable, stable and solid,with great plow through. more comfortable and forgiving than the Becker 11 midplus. i love this frame so much, i think i'm going to switch from my old beloved Tour 10 midplus! Control is phenomenal as my Volkl, bigger sweetspot and more stable at the net. Again, with this string set-up, it is one of the most comfortable and sweetest Becker-Volkl ever.

Awesome! One of us found it tough to play stock, but the other felt as you do. The former was coming from a 385 DNX 10 MP, so it kinda made sense. However, his Legend was only around 365 grams strung, which is a substantial difference. It's a great stick; there is a ton of feedback to the hand.

Huzzah
01-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Playing with EXO3 Rebel 98, soft and smooth.

Crocodile
01-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. Weight wise and feel I've enjoyed the Organix 10mp 325 the most along with the Bio 200. The exo 3 Tour is nice but a little light. Im going to try some lead under the handle, however there is not much room to place some at 6 oclock as the ports don't leave much space. Will hit with the Rebel, Pro Staff, and prestige soon, and unfortunately can't access the new Beckers, Donnays here or Vantages which is a shame. I was also interested in how the old Classic Kennex/s (5G, 7G) feel compared to Ionic or Q series which someone may have already hit with. Quality wise I feel the Volkl and Dunlop are pretty good.

athiker
01-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Sorry I can't give a comparison to recent tech but I just started playing w/ my PK Ki5 again recently and forgot just how arm friendly it is. I first bought it a few years ago to get me through tennis elbow which it did. I then moved on to various other racquets.

I've played quite a few different racquets, just not recent editions, and many were pretty flexy but nothing compares to the Ki5 for arm comfort. It doesn't even feel as "flexy" as others, it just feels comfortable...the real tale of the tape is post-match...or the absence of any post match "twinges".

getsby
01-25-2012, 01:39 PM
absolutely do not agree that the low stiffness index gives a comfortable feeling of the game. PK Redondo MP, with dense string formula is a very demanding racket. The same feeling and the Wilson BLX Pro Tour.
About Organix-I agree, 325 very comfortable players stick

Cesare
01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Awesome! One of us found it tough to play stock, but the other felt as you do. The former was coming from a 385 DNX 10 MP, so it kinda made sense. However, his Legend was only around 365 grams strung, which is a substantial difference. It's a great stick; there is a ton of feedback to the hand.

My legend weights 349 grams, overgrip and dampener included. 332 SW, it swings pretty easy but with substantial weight and produces a very heavy ball, don't matter if you hit flat or with spin. Coming from the tour 10 mp, it is a great translation because i'm familiar with the CAP-like, wich gives to the stringbed an unique feel. I simply can't put this frame in my bag, so it think that i'm in love..

scotus
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Most Volkl racquets I tried including PB10 Mid/MP, Organix 10 are very stable, and pretty comfortable but they lacks power. Prince frames are also comfortable but they have different problems. EXO3 Tour is soft but hard to control. Rebel is very solid and soft, but too low in power. Dunlop AG200 gave me a nice balance of power, control and comfort when stringing with multifilament.

Donnay is also a good choice if you plan to play poly string. The solid core contruction reduce vibration and harsh feeling of poly really well. The most comfortable racquet I have tried are X-Dual Pro 97 and X-Dual Gold 99. Feel like hitting the ball with a pillow.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pIOSysKy3ufV17uqtTa-3pOtD8Y7NGq5c0yrDfY6wXU3JG-vmTTjP7NKm3ICGiSZDDF_4rhSMxH7exOF-ECVllw/Solinco_Tour_Bite_16L_Barb_Wire_17_Donnay_X-Dual_Pro.JPG

I demoed a few Donnay X and X-Dual racquets, including the gold.

They weren't very comfortable, quite jarring actually.

Zverev
01-28-2012, 04:12 AM
I found stock Babolat Pure Storm Tour very comfortable, even strung full poly ( soft poly though).
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Storm_Tour/descpageRCBAB-BPSTT.html
Unfortunately cannot say the same about Pro Kennex Kinetic 5g Pro - it feels flimsy and is quite harsh on the arm. (7g is apparently better)
Some lead and soft multi in low 50s will improve 5g significantly.

Pavlo
01-28-2012, 06:08 AM
The prince exo3 tour is crazy comfortable. I've got a very tender elbow that gets sore after playing with nearly every other racket I've used except the exo

mikeler
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
I found stock Babolat Pure Storm Tour very comfortable, even strung full poly ( soft poly though).
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Storm_Tour/descpageRCBAB-BPSTT.html
Unfortunately cannot say the same about Pro Kennex Kinetic 5g Pro - it feels flimsy and is quite harsh on the arm. (7g is apparently better)
Some lead and soft multi in low 50s will improve 5g significantly.

I used the original PST for all of 2010 and half of 2011. Made the switch last summer to the 7G and it is even more comfortable.

sureshs
01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
The Vantage Bastcore frames and the Vantage 63-flex custom frames are the most comfortable I've ever tried. Have used nearly every recent Prince and Volkl, some are good but not as soothing as the Vantages.

Bastcore RA is 49!!!

retrograde
01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
What I wanted to know is this, are these brands still ahead or have the others caught up. For example is the EXO Tour and Rebel 2012 models along with the new Federer racquet and Head Prestiges now up there as well. Would the Organix 10 325 still absorb shock better than the other racquets due to Volkl's handle technology and frame feel. What about Donnay's new foam filled racquets.
I think there are lots of choices out there, but finding a stick that's both comfortable *and* suited to your tastes is the trick.

The three most comfortable sticks I've found in my spec range are the PK7g, Yonex RDiS 200 MP, and PST.

I don't know if the Donnay X-Dual Gold 99 is foam-filled or not, but I demo'd it recently and while it felt comfortable, it didn't suit me. Similar experience with the Prince EXO3 Tours (both patterns) which have very low RA ratings.

I'd like to demo the PK5x sometime just to see if its as comfy as the 7g. And the upcoming PK Q-Tour will be interesting with its four "Kinetic" zones around the hoop (they look sorta like the PWS thingie that Wilson used at 3/9).