PDA

View Full Version : Serve Practice Gadget

Pacific lefty
01-24-2012, 05:11 AM
So now that I haven't played for 8 weeks, and am starting back in 2, I am beginning to think about the serve. My shoulder is totally pain free and I'm doing lots of exercises with PT. I have previous supraspinatus tendonitis threads on this post...

I am curious if anyone has used this product to get a better rhythm in their serve. I had posted mine, and unanimously, we all thought I could really re-work it. I have watched all the videos that were recommended but this one shows the rhythm the best (for me anyway)...

I can't seem to embed video from YouTube but the website is thetotalserve.com.

goran_ace
01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
$59.95 (US) + S&H is a lot to pay for that. I've seen a similar gadget used in kids lessons before that was probably made at home by the pro/instructor for less than $10. Most of what you're paying is for the DVDs that come with it. My personal opinion is that you're better off spending a similar amount of money on 2 x 30-minute private sessions with a pro.

toly
01-24-2012, 10:39 AM
So now that I haven't played for 8 weeks, and am starting back in 2, I am beginning to think about the serve. My shoulder is totally pain free and I'm doing lots of exercises with PT. I have previous supraspinatus tendonitis threads on this post...

I am curious if anyone has used this product to get a better rhythm in their serve. I had posted mine, and unanimously, we all thought I could really re-work it. I have watched all the videos that were recommended but this one shows the rhythm the best (for me anyway)...

I can't seem to embed video from YouTube but the website is thetotalserve.com.
This is the link http://www.thetotalserve.com/.

The same exercise you can do with racquet, like a lot of pros do.

IMO, totalserve is useless toy.:)

r2473
01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Buy "Sonic Serve", 100 practice balls, and a basket. Practice often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoZ0f7hw-A

jjs891
01-24-2012, 10:44 AM
I think you can do the same thing with a tennis ball in a tube sock that's been around for ages.

spacediver
01-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I think you can do the same thing with a tennis ball in a tube sock that's been around for ages.

Yea i made one myself. I sawed some old wooden dowel to create the handle, and then just nailed it to the rim of an old wool sock with tennis balls in it.

sureshs
01-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I had mentioned this before, and someone pointed out that the ball in a sock is good enough. Then I actually saw a teaching pro using it (ball in a sock) as an aid!

SystemicAnomaly
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Yea i made one myself. I sawed some old wooden dowel to create the handle, and then just nailed it to the rim of an old wool sock with tennis balls in it.

How many balls in the sock?

stormholloway
01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Buy "Sonic Serve", 100 practice balls, and a basket. Practice often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoZ0f7hw-A

Sonic Serve is good.

Honestly to the OP: just get a bunch of balls and a hopper. I think 100 balls is probably twice the amount most hoppers hold, at least my hopper.

What I started doing to rehab my awful serve was take my hopper to the service line, rather than the baseline. For some reason it might my attempts more effortless. It felt like I didn't have to hit with much power because the net was so close. Obviously your target shifts back since you've moved forward.

LeeD
01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Not a total waste of money, but it's designed to teach the beginning tennis players the feel of fulcrum, leverage, loosewrist allowing the rackethead to come thru, and feel of SLINGING the rackethead.
You're too advanced for this to be more than a passing 5 minute help.
Instead, shadow swing loosewrist using the index and middle fingers to hold the handle, ring resting on the buttcap. LISTEN to the "swish" sound.l Notice more effort on a swing DOES NOT raise the pitch. The right amount of effort, NOT FULL effort, is your highest pitch, is your fastest swing.

spacediver
01-24-2012, 12:57 PM
How many balls in the sock?

I put three.

stormholloway
01-24-2012, 01:34 PM
I put three.

Are the socks striped?

goran_ace
01-24-2012, 03:22 PM
How about this?

http://www.knightsedge.com/images/Product/icon/medieval-flail-2605.jpg

goran_ace
01-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Seriously though, the one I saw on the teaching cart at my club had a wooden handle (2 x 2 cut with bevels? sawed off wood racket?) wrapped in an old grip, attached to some rope with an eye bolt. The other end of the rope was threaded through a few old tennis balls and knotted on the end.

LeeD
01-24-2012, 03:43 PM
GoranAce nailed it.
For some practioners, the short sword was the weapon of choice.
For other's, the hammer and spike.
Yet for still other's, the spear and net.
And some dummies chose the pistol!
But when the opposition chose a shield, it could defeat the pistol?
So what works for you?
I say, the EAR! Shadow swing and listen, then feel for the LEAST effort technique.

Pacific lefty
01-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Great suggestions! I tried a couple of swings using the adapter cord for my old laptop and it worked fine (no sharp spikes on the end please)... I am mainly looking at using the concept to get a better rhythm. The problem when I use my racket for the moment is the fear of lapsing into the old "shoulder destroying" serve that I used previously. Service line practice to start sounds good though for sure...