PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for O3 Hybrid Hornet MP

walkman
01-24-2012, 01:57 PM
What would be considered a good replacement Prince racquet? I'd prefer to stick with Prince with possible.

I have two of these frames and think they are about at the end of their life span. The racquet was a bit light to me, but it was very quick at the net and I play a lot of doubles with my 4.0 all court game. I added some lead tape. Baseline control was respectable as long as I used a good bit of spin. I don't have elbow problems and prefer control over power. The Prince Tour racquets were too heavy for me the last time I tried them.

ChipNCharge
01-24-2012, 01:59 PM
What would be considered a good replacement Prince racquet? I'd prefer to stick with Prince with possible.

I have two of these frames and think they are about at the end of their life span. The racquet was a bit light to me, but it was very quick at the net and I play a lot of doubles with my 4.0 all court game. I added some lead tape. Baseline control was respectable as long as I used a good bit of spin. I don't have elbow problems and prefer control over power. The Prince Tour racquets were too heavy for me the last time I tried them.

If the Hornet MP was too light in stock form, and the Tour is too heavy, then maybe the O3 White would be a good option. It's a little over 11 ounces strung, and it's standard length and 100 inches, just like your Hornets.

Also, the O3 White is on sale here at TW for only $80.

walkman
01-24-2012, 02:46 PM
I haven't looked at racquets in the 5 years since I demo'd a dozen racquets and ended up with the O3 Red MP. Looking at the Prince racquets on TW I'm very confused. It looks like my racquet is still available. The Tour racquet I tested at the time was 12+ ounces, but now looks like 11.3.

Isn't the EX03 considered superior to the O3 line of racquets? Is there any playability difference or is it mainly a marketing angle on the ports?

PBODY99
01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I haven't looked at racquets in the 5 years since I demo'd a dozen racquets and ended up with the O3 Red MP. Looking at the Prince racquets on TW I'm very confused. It looks like my racquet is still available. The Tour racquet I tested at the time was 12+ ounces, but now looks like 11.3.

Isn't the EX03 considered superior to the O3 line of racquets? Is there any playability difference or is it mainly a marketing angle on the ports?

I did notice that the Speedport version of my frame was quicker than the O3 version, so I switched. The EXO, were not enough to make me change, also a 1/4 inch shorter.
The Hornet 2012 is out give it a Demo
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Prince_EXO3_Hornet_Midplus_100/descpageRCPRINCE-XO3HMP.html

martini1
01-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I was in the same shoes a few years ago. Here is my upgrade / demo history.

First, I lead up the hornet and play for a couple of months, also tried a hybrid poly set up. The main issue was the stick feels too stiff and lack of feel. Hitting flat is not as easy.

Demoed - Prince tour - better but the feel and control is not as impressive compared to the next sticks.
Head mg prestige pro, mg extreme pro
Wilson kblade 98
Also tried the Prince black. Good stick but on the touch shots it seems quite powerful to control.
Apdc - great if lead up and use hybird strings.

Ended up getting the apdc and lead it up nicely. The prestige pro was a close 2nd. Later on I found out the radical pro is even better.

I know everybody has different fits but the story I learnt is really go beyond just one brand and demo a bunch if possible. Tweener rackets is the most popular spec and u got tons to choose from. Some I can get rallies going but some I can't. So specs on paper don't mean everything.

walkman
01-25-2012, 06:14 AM
also tried a hybrid poly set up.

What is the advantage of using a hybrid poly set up? I thought people did that to get more life out of their strings.