PDA

View Full Version : My IG Radical Pro first impressions

Dgdavid
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi all,

Been posting in various threads about this racket but rather than respond in each, thought I stick this as a new thread.

My first impressions of IG Radical Pro are below. FYI, I am a 4.0-4.5, mostly baseline player but trying to get to the net more. Between an extreme eastern-semi western forehand, 1HBH. Tonight I played for around 3 hours comprised of knock up, 1 hour of doubles followed by 1.5 hours of singles. I currently play with an IG Speed 300 and before that, an AeroProDrive GT. Racket is strung at 56lbs with RPM Blast.

These are my first thoughts but I caveat them with

a) only 2.5 hours of real play and it takes me a while to know a racket;
b) I have no frame of reference versus other sticks that I am interested in because this is the first of my new short list I have tried;
c) I played much more relaxed today having got pre-excuses in about new racket etc so I might have played better naturally rather than just the racket.

So, these are FIRST impressions

Serves: Definite gains in pace and accuracy for me on first serve. Second serve was about the same. Already the best serving performance and assuming it is the racket, I expect this to get even better.

Forehand: Neutral on aggressive shots but needed less effort. Defensive shots were much better (out of position, stretching, footwork a bit wrong). When I am more used to the racket, I am sure this will be much stronger.

Backhand topspin: Definitely the biggest difference and most obvious benefit (1HBH). Hit more winners today than the last two weeks with Speed 300. More pace and the racket was bringing them back down into play. Hit 90% of winners down the line. Bit predictable but the end but still pace was winning out.

Backhand slice: inconclusive. Those I hit well were better than the IG 300 but those I hit a bit wrong had worse results. Still adjusting to it.
Volleys: inconclusive so far – better depth but manoeuvrability was a definite issue. Reaction shots I normally got my Speed 300 to, I couldn’t get the Radical to. Happened 2-3 times tonight. In fact, most reaction shots I would normally get in were fluffed tonight.

Drop shots: similar results but felt better. Again, I think this will quickly get much better.

Return of Serve: Second biggest improvement for me. Getting block style returns against heavy serves went back deeper but did notice my down the line forehand returns pulling right (and wide) a few times. I think this is getting used to a slightly slower swing vs the Speed 300 so I am a bit late on the shot.

Lobs: Only did defensive lobs today but I felt more confident although results were not any different to usual.

Short Balls: definitely and significantly worse than the IG300. Dialling down the power was more of an issue but touch on a new racket might be the last thing to get right. Not unduly worried by this.

Opponents impressions: “you played much better than last week” (I won both weeks). Short but sweet.

My impressions: Given such a short time, the positives are great and outweigh the negatives - biggest concern is reaction shot manoeurability.

I hope this might be the one for me. I can say if I was banned from buying other rackets, I would happily stick to it. However, I do not yet have a frame of reference against the other rackets I own but have not used yet (Exo3 Tour 100 and Dunlop Bio 500 Tour) nor the stick I really want to test (IG Prestige Pro). Very different rackets but I have deliberately got a spread of types.

I do feel I have the luxury position of seeing if there is a better racket than one I already like (rather than nagging doubts about current racket). However, after a long search, I am tempted to not even try the Exo3 and 500T and just send them back to the store and not mess.
I am playing tomorrow, Thursday and Saturday so will get another 6 hours plus under my belt with it by Sunday.

Dgdavid
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Forgot to say, the balance and weight felt very nice at all times except reaction shots mentioned above.

Bartelby
01-24-2012, 04:08 PM
good review - some comparisons with the apd might be useful

bowchikawow
01-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Hi, thanks for the review, please do update it tomorrow, also would be really nice if you could post some actual pics of the racket

Dgdavid
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Here are a few photos on iphone. Will take some more tomorrow.
It has a Head XtremeSoft overgrip on it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/photo1rj.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/photo2kaq.jpg/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/photo3if.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/photo5aj.jpg/

Dgdavid
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/photo1rj.jpg/

Dgdavid
01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/photo1rj.jpg

Dgdavid
01-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Okay, something not right there but these are the URLs. Post straight into browser.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/photo1rj.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/photo2kaq.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/831/photo3if.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/photo4si.jpg
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/photo5aj.jpg

Geology_Rocks!
01-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Hey Dgdavid, thanks for the review.

Could you say a few words about the cushion grip? I heard it comes with the new head synthetic leather. If you could compare it to the wilson pro hybrid or a regular leather grip would be cool.

Bartelby
01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
How big is it, really, do you have another 98 to measure it against?

anhuynh16
01-24-2012, 06:27 PM

looks alot smaller than a 98. Possibly a 95-96 since head measures diff.

I too thought I had to put alot less effort on my groundstrokes otherwise it would go out.

Bartelby
01-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes, on another thread it was made pretty clear that prestige pro black caps will fit on the rad pro.

Dgdavid
01-25-2012, 01:42 AM
good review - some comparisons with the apd might be useful

Will do at the weekend after some more play time. I have two APDs, one strung tight, one at mid-tension. Preferred the tight one plus also have an APD Team (the 280g one) which I played well with. However, I would say I found the IG Speed 300 better than the APD in all areas except backhand slice for me and my current view is the IG Radical Pro is a step up again (except reflex shots and confidence on short balls). I found the APD to lack manoeverability in the same way I have notice on the IG Rad Pro but it might just be relative to the very fast Speed 300.

Also, the IG Prestige Pro itch just won't go away though. Got to demo it just to be sure...

Dgdavid
01-25-2012, 01:44 AM

Picture 5 is the Radical Pro next to the 100 sq inch Speed 300. Lying it on top doesn't have a particularly noticeable difference to me (yes smaller but not significant to my eyes or play).

Dgdavid
01-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Hey Dgdavid, thanks for the review.

Could you say a few words about the cushion grip? I heard it comes with the new head synthetic leather. If you could compare it to the wilson pro hybrid or a regular leather grip would be cool.

It does indeed but I didn't like the feel of it at all but it is a personal thing, too slippy for me (I feel like this for all leather grips). The XtremeSoft overgrip is very nice and very thin. I do have a normal Head Leather grip on my IG Speed 300 too but overgripped with the XtremeSoft also. Favourite grip is Wilson K Grip.

Vasuri
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Dgdavid, thanks for a thorough review. I am looking forward to demo ig radical pro myself.

Have you considered adding some weight to the handle and making the racquet more HL to increase maneuverability and help with those reaction volleys? If you have tried this would like to hear your thoughts?

Ten_nuts
01-26-2012, 12:01 AM
Hi, I just received 2 Head Utek IG Radical Pro this afternoon. Both were strung with Luxilon ALU Power Rough at 55 lbs. 1 weighed 11.48 oz (strung) and the other weighed 11.52 oz strung. Both have the same balance, around 3 points headlight. I've been playing with Radical MP for....ever. I usually add lead tape at 2 and 10 and on handle to make the Utek Radical MP 11.7 oz strung, 5 points headlight. So i hit with the new Radical Pro today for 2 and 1/2 hours and i must say................ AWESOME !!!!!.
I don't use overgrips, so i think i will add 6g lead tape on handles of both and that's it. The racquets are so solid. It's a great racquet for any baseliner. Anyone who plays with Radical MP and have setup similar to my setup that i mentioned above, you must demo this racquet. It's just awesome. I think this is another Head's legend, like the PT 280, Prestige Classic 600. I have to install the TK 82S pallets because i am so used to it. I'll come back later. I just finished installing a set of TK 82S pallets. 1 more to go but it's a little late. I'll update later then.Good night.

Dgdavid
01-26-2012, 01:55 AM
Couldn't play last night but definitely am tonight. Going to play stock again but might also see how it goes initially with some bluetack under the handle too.

Dgdavid
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Okay, day 2 with the racket was a totally different experience. Played two sets but doubles and I couldn't get it going at all. Played far better with the Exo3 Tour (also new). Not going to say much more until I get another long singles session. Hoping it is just about getting used to it.

RacketFever
01-27-2012, 09:23 AM
DG, How is the prince exo3 tour??

stronzzi70
01-27-2012, 09:27 AM
every new racquet has a little honey moon for some days, before that, every could change.

Dgdavid
01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Exo3 Tour is very nice actually. Doesn't get close to the IG Rad Pro on serve but I was in a good grove with it on everything else quickly and played well in 2 sets right off the bat with it. However, I have now also gone down the IG Prestige MP route which is currently trumping both the Rad and Exo3 but some distance but admittedly, I have only been on the practice wall and serving baskets with the Prestige.

Right now, I will probably be waving a reluctant goodbye to the IG Rad and keeping the Exo3 Tour until I confirm the PMP is as good as it seems in a match.

Dgdavid
01-27-2012, 10:07 AM
and yes, very wary of honeymoon periods now.

RacketFever
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
So do you prefer the feel of the PMP or the tour 100, if you had to choose between the two?

Dgdavid
01-27-2012, 10:26 AM
Right now, Prestige MP but I've only had an hour on the practice wall and 3 baskets of 80 balls serving. Need to swing in a match (tomorrow, 10am GMT!). I have no doubt I am down to my final two shortlist now. Pmp the favourite but Exo3 still very much in it and the best racket I have used in a match situation so far pending tomorrow.

Dgdavid
01-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Okay, after my match today, I am 100% on IG Prestige MP and switching. I will do a comparative review on the IG Radical Pro, Prestige and Exo3 Tour in a few days. All have strong areas. As I started this thread about the IG Radical Pro, I will say that it is definitely number 1 of the 3 for Serving.

RacketFever
01-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Gave up on the Ig Prestige Pro DG? Anyway, is the sweet spot big on the Ig midplus (larger than the exo3 tour 100??)? And hows the power level..

Dgdavid
01-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Didn't try the Pro but my mission was always to find a racket that met everything I want so now I have that, I don't want to mess. Changing rackets has been tenfold more disruptive than I thought. I am sure I would have loved the Pro too now though but the Prestige MP is amazing.

The IG PMP just feels great. When I want pace and power (that I add in), the resulting actual power is much higher, controlled and direct than when I am trying to feather/throttle the power on a more "powerful" racket. I could also let the racket do a lot of the work because of the heft (forgive my terminolgy). The sweetspot was fantastic.

My old coach has always told me you have to be very good to wield a Prestige and whilst I cannot comment on Mid or Pro, the MidPlus is fantastic for me and I am certainly no more than a 4.5 on the US scale (I'm in Surrey, England).

Apologies to VS Bab for going a bit Off Topic.

Dgdavid
01-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Doh, not in the thread I thought I was so not Off Topic. Haven't even had a beer yet.

For the record, this is my ranking (but will write it up properly in a few days):

1. Head IG Prestige MP
2. Prince Exo3 Tour 100
then a big gap to:
3= IG Radical Pro
3= IG Speed 300

I would switch from my Speed 300 to either the Prestige or Exo3 in a flash - maybe not the Radical but would need more testing time.

Dgdavid
01-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Have you 100% settled on Pro then Racketfever?

Yourtenniscoach
01-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Can anyone speak to the new synthetic leather grips and how they run size-wise? I found the grips on the IG Speeds to larger than normal so I'm wondering about how these new grips work? Are they true to size or larger or smaller?

RacketFever
01-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Yup, I have already ordered 3. Should be arriving soon.

RacketFever
01-29-2012, 03:06 AM
Whats the string setup on your mid-plus DG?

Dgdavid
01-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Playing with it as delivered (pre-strung) which I believe is Sonic Pro at mid-tension. No problems so far but considering a copoly 2lbs below mid. That said, I love it as is so might not mess at all!

parasailing
01-29-2012, 09:05 PM
I got the TW demo for the IG Rad Pro and IG Rad MP both strung up with Head FXP strings.

I had high hopes for the IG Rad Pro but I was disappointed. I read about the change in headsize from 100 sq in. to 98 sq in. and though this was going to be the racquet for me. Unfortunately, it didn't feel solid in stock form. Everytime I hit groundstrokes, I get a tinny sound coming from the racquet even with a vibration dampener on it. The IG version does feel slightly softer than the Youtek Rad Pro but not as solid as my Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT.

In stock form, I think it's too light and needs more heft. Perhaps if you add enough lead to the racquet, it would perform better.

Bartelby
01-29-2012, 10:14 PM
stringers world mentioned the pinging sound

i wonder how this gets built into a racquet???

sargeinaz
01-29-2012, 10:24 PM
It didnt have a ping when I used a Sampras dampener. With the head dampener there was an ever so slight ping. As far as solidity, I felt it was plenty solid and stable, but it is flexy so if someone is used to stiff sticks, it may not feel the same.

Yourtenniscoach
01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
stringers world mentioned the pinging sound

i wonder how this gets built into a racquet???

I think even pros frames have a pinging sound to them at times. I remember seeing this video of Andy Murray practicing and thought the racquet sounded way more "pingy" than I thought it would. Its clear as day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAel5QkCJ6I

JackB1
01-30-2012, 07:01 AM
It didnt have a ping when I used a Sampras dampener. With the head dampener there was an ever so slight ping. As far as solidity, I felt it was plenty solid and stable, but it is flexy so if someone is used to stiff sticks, it may not feel the same.

the Head dampener don't work as well as the Sampras O dampener. The Head ones don't fit as tightly to the strings.

JackB1
01-30-2012, 07:05 AM
I got the TW demo for the IG Rad Pro and IG Rad MP both strung up with Head FXP strings.

I had high hopes for the IG Rad Pro but I was disappointed. I read about the change in headsize from 100 sq in. to 98 sq in. and though this was going to be the racquet for me. Unfortunately, it didn't feel solid in stock form. Everytime I hit groundstrokes, I get a tinny sound coming from the racquet even with a vibration dampener on it. The IG version does feel slightly softer than the Youtek Rad Pro but not as solid as my Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT.

In stock form, I think it's too light and needs more heft. Perhaps if you add enough lead to the racquet, it would perform better.

The Rad Pro too light??? The YT version was a beast. Isn't the swingweight in the 330's? I don't see how it could be "too light"? What's your normal racquet?

About the tinny sound, my new IG Prestige S has the same exact thing. Even with a Sampras dampener it still sounds awful. Wonder if this is the same for all the new IG racquets?

Bartelby
01-30-2012, 07:46 AM
My God, that's a horrible noise.

I think even pros frames have a pinging sound to them at times. I remember seeing this video of Andy Murray practicing and thought the racquet sounded way more "pingy" than I thought it would. Its clear as day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAel5QkCJ6I

Yourtenniscoach
01-30-2012, 07:48 AM
So... is pinging overrated?

sargeinaz
01-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Almost every frame I've hit with pinged without a dampener. Some more than others, but pinged none the less. My old pro 1 and the yonex 95D were two that had very little ping without a dampener. As long as a racket makes no ping at all with a Sampras dampener in then I'm good.

parasailing
01-30-2012, 12:43 PM
The Rad Pro too light??? The YT version was a beast. Isn't the swingweight in the 330's? I don't see how it could be "too light"? What's your normal racquet?

About the tinny sound, my new IG Prestige S has the same exact thing. Even with a Sampras dampener it still sounds awful. Wonder if this is the same for all the new IG racquets?

My regular racquet is a PSTGT and yes the SW is 330 but it is only 11.4oz strung whereas my PSTGT SW is 333 and 12.1oz strung. I was just bothered by the amount of ping on the racquet everytime I struck the ball. I am glad they went with 98oz as it does feel better than the original Youtek Rad Pro but still the ping sound bothers me. Perhaps more lead customization might work but stock form, it just didn't cut it for me.

I use the Prince EXO dampener which does a good job of reducing ping.

wrxtotoro
01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
My regular racquet is a PSTGT and yes the SW is 330 but it is only 11.4oz strung whereas my PSTGT SW is 333 and 12.1oz strung. I was just bothered by the amount of ping on the racquet everytime I struck the ball. I am glad they went with 98oz as it does feel better than the original Youtek Rad Pro but still the ping sound bothers me. Perhaps more lead customization might work but stock form, it just didn't cut it for me.

I use the Prince EXO dampener which does a good job of reducing ping.

Just put some Kevlar/poly hybrid on it and the ping will turn to "THUMP"!!! :twisted:

Recoveringhobo
02-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Just had my first hit with a Radical Pro demo.

Overall, I am very disappointed with the racquet. I really built it up in my mind as a racquet that would suit my game because of its similarities to my Dunlop 200 16x19, but it never live up to my expectations. It just never felt right in my hands. The racquet was much more flexy than anything that I've hit with, though this could be due to me mostly playing with Babolats or Wilson 6.1 95s. Compared to my current Dunlop (which is essentially a 200 lite) the racquet felt mushy and soft, giving it very little control. It had easily available power but I still felt I couldn't take as hard of a "crack" at the ball as I can with stiffer racquets.

One thing I would like to do would be to more weight under the handle to make it a little more headlight. I may make some modifications and post my results here.

Ten_nuts
02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Just had my first hit with a Radical Pro demo.

Overall, I am very disappointed with the racquet. I really built it up in my mind as a racquet that would suit my game because of its similarities to my Dunlop 200 16x19, but it never live up to my expectations. It just never felt right in my hands. The racquet was much more flexy than anything that I've hit with, though this could be due to me mostly playing with Babolats or Wilson 6.1 95s. Compared to my current Dunlop (which is essentially a 200 lite) the racquet felt mushy and soft, giving it very little control. It had easily available power but I still felt I couldn't take as hard of a "crack" at the ball as I can with stiffer racquets.

One thing I would like to do would be to more weight under the handle to make it a little more headlight. I may make some modifications and post my results here.

I agreed with you. Even i hit with my regular I Radical MP (lead tape on frame and on handle to make it 11.7 oz strung) and switched to IG Rad Pro, i could tell the frame is a little soft. I've been hitting with the IG Rad Pro for 2 days without touching the I Rad MP, and i think i am getting used to it. In my opinion, the IG Rad Pro will fit anyone who's been playing with racquets that have stiffness 60 or lower, plus anyone who likes to use full Poly strings. I always use the Pro Red Code full bed for my I Rad MP, but i haven't try my fav string on these IG Rad Pro yet because my already came with Lux Power Rough. So far so good. Eventhough the IG Rad Pro has high swing weight, it's still easy to play at net and over head. I think everyone can imagine how great it is to play at baseline. Overall, this is a great stick for me. I hope to hear other opinions too.

parasailing
02-01-2012, 10:19 PM
I tried both IG versions of the Rad Pro and Rad MP and I prefer the MP. I had high hopes for the Rad Pro IG and though it was slightly better than the Youtek Rad Pro, it still did not feel as good as my PSTGT. I didn't like the pinging sound even with the dampener on the strings but felt the MP was much improved compared to the regular Youtek Rad MP.

The IG Rad MP seems to have improved power and felt more solid than the Youtek version.

On to IG Prestige MP and Mid to see how much IG improves these racquets
:).

JackB1
02-02-2012, 06:03 AM
I tried both IG versions of the Rad Pro and Rad MP and I prefer the MP. I had high hopes for the Rad Pro IG and though it was slightly better than the Youtek Rad Pro, it still did not feel as good as my PSTGT. I didn't like the pinging sound even with the dampener on the strings but felt the MP was much improved compared to the regular Youtek Rad MP.

The IG Rad MP seems to have improved power and felt more solid than the Youtek version.

On to IG Prestige MP and Mid to see how much IG improves these racquets
:).

I agree. I much preferred the IG MP to the Pro.

Recoveringhobo
02-04-2012, 08:57 AM
I had another hit again with the Radical Pro. I have come to the conclusion that I need something with more stiffness to have better control and pop on the ball. The Pro had a great buttery feel with alright access spin, but at times it felt like a noodle.

Contrary to most people on these forums, I enjoy stiff racquets. This is probably due to me being young and having a modern game. I have never had arm problems and stiff racquets have never given me trouble.

gino
04-18-2013, 08:16 PM
DgDavid, can you please elaborate on the differences between a customized Speed IG 300 and the Radical IG pro?

I am torn between which frame to purchase. I would bring both rackets to about 8pts HL because I have a one-hander like yourself. I play college tennis in the states and I need a racket with a great flex rating and arm friendly.

Sreeram
04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
Guys, please demo IG Rad pro along with Pro one. Pro one is way better racquet than IG rad pro. i played with Rad pro first for close to 3 months but never really dialed in. I have no complaints with power as I have lots of spin in my shots but the racquet did not have a good consistent sweet spot, I think the issue is with this extreme flex. I liked the feel of that flex and that is the reason I bought it. As a counter puncher I could not continue long ralies with this stick as it caused inconsitent results.
Only Positive was serves and volleys which were great with this stick. Pro one definitely beats Rad pro in Serve but not much in volleys. IG rad pro is the best volleying stick I have played with.

gino
04-19-2013, 01:08 AM
Can anyone compare this to a Speed IG 300????

Bartelby
04-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Does the flex in the hoop of the rad pro bear any similarity to that in the C10 pro?

Carefree
04-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Does the flex in the hoop of the rad pro bear any similarity to that in the C10 pro?

I've never hit with the C10 pro. But, in my opinion, the flex of the Radical Pro is more in the throat. I think that's why people say it takes a little time to get used to hitting inside out or changing direction down the line, it sprays a little wide at first. I had this problem, and I've seen a cuople of other posts that stated the same.

May also be the reason why some people feel it's a little sluggish.