PDA

View Full Version : Modding my Head radicals help

Ducker
01-24-2012, 11:25 PM
So i have 2x youtek radicals MP.

My goals are to customize them a bit and bring up to specs with my old racquet.

Thus far I have ordered some prestige MP grommets 4.99 which I plan to install so that I have the CAP grommet look and can hide lead tape under. I also ordered 2 pacs of the gamma lead tape.

The gamma packs have 72inches in them. Im going to put half, 36inches under the grip and cut the other 36inches in half and lay each 18inch strip centered at 12oclock.

My question is, how much extra weight will the CAP grommets add? Is there a such thing as adding too much lead to a racket? I would like to have this Radical MP up to just over 11.5 ounces, maybe around the 11.7 range. The Radmp is 11oz stock.

Im a young strong guy, I play with a 11.5 ounce racket now and it feels too light for me and I can wip it around really easy. I tried to test the Radical MP tonight before adding weight and it actually hurt my wrist a bit when I was rallying with my partner who is 5.0lvl.

Last question, by ordering the Prestige MP grommets from TW, is that the Cap grommets im looking for? Did I do that correctly?

Ducker
01-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Oh and I moved from my old racquet to this racquet because I wanted the 18x20 pattern and the youteks are cheap because of the new 2012s that are out.

Ducker
01-24-2012, 11:50 PM
One mor question, where can i get pallets for the grip shapes for head racquets.

RyKnocks
01-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Adding a CAP grommet and enough weight to balance it in the handle will easily put it over 12oz. It doesn't take much to bring a racquet over 12oz. Of the various posts I've seen where people add CAP grommets and weight in the handle to counter balance, some of them even reach upwards of 13oz. It will be near impossible to keep it at 11.7oz unless you want a really head heavy racquet.

toedragger
01-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Like above post - once you add caps and lead to the handle (under the grip, near the buttcap) to bring it back to near stock balance, you're going to be well past 12oz.

If you think you're then going to add an 18" strip of lead at 12 o'clock - you're gonna have an extremely head heavy stick... in my opinion that won't work at all.

Caps are cool and add a great feel to the hoop, but they aren't for everyone. They have a big effect on total swingweight. Strong, young, or not - it's not always a game improvement.

My suggestion is find your stock balance for that racquet, strung. (ie: home made balance board, etc - look it up). Use that as a reference. Add your caps, string the racquet, then add your lead under the grip near the buttcap to get back to stock balance setting (with grip re-insalled, etc). Play ball.

Make adjustments from there as far as adding more lead - and wear. Weight is great, but racquet balance, swing weight, and total weight are dynamically connected when modifications are being done.

Just my .02 without knowing your game and what you want to your racquet to feel like in the end.

movdqa
01-25-2012, 11:40 AM
There are 28 grams to an ounce so two packs of lead is more than two ounces! The YTRMP weighs 11.1 ounces so you will be over 13.1 ounces with two packs of lead. Going to full caps will add more weight. I'd guess it to be about 12 grams.

You can get Head pallets from TW Europe but you get killed on shipping. It may be cheaper to go to a used sporting goods store and buying a cheap Head racquet with the grip size that you want, take the pallet and toss the racquet.

Ducker
01-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the input its very much appreciated!

If you guys can help me further what do you suggest doing after adding the caps to make the rad MP spec wise around the same as the Donnay xdual gold 99.

Is there anyway to stiffen up the rad MP. Will the caps stiffen the racquet. Id would defently like to stiffen the frame up a bit.

el sergento
01-25-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the input its very much appreciated!

If you guys can help me further what do you suggest doing after adding the caps to make the rad MP spec wise around the same as the Donnay xdual gold 99.

Is there anyway to stiffen up the rad MP. Will the caps stiffen the racquet. Id would defently like to stiffen the frame up a bit.

There's nothing you can do to make those two sticks spec out the same. Once you add CAPS to the rad, you'll end up with a stick with a very high SW. it might be light in terms of static weight, but it will swing like a log, especially since it's already an even balance racquet.

No joke, if you don't counter balance, you're looking at a 10 pt HH racquet with a SW will in the 340's. In other words, a useless club.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's time you sold the Radicals and just bought yourself a more suitable racquet. We've all been there, no shame at all.