PDA

View Full Version : Cotton vs synthetic fabric (socks and wristbands)

kimguroo
01-25-2012, 08:28 AM
there are many threads about apparel fabrics and I strongly think that synthetic material is much better than cotton for apparels.
I have not seen any threads about socks and wristbands.
nowadays synthetic fabrics are much better than 10 years ago.
there are many fabrics are softer than cottons.

I prefer Nike PE wristbands which has nylon and spandex material (because of softness). I feel that cotton fabrics are slightly rough but not really bothers me though.

which one do you prefer and why?

NJ1
01-25-2012, 08:45 AM
For wristbands, I only wear 75%+ cotton. More synthetic than that and, to me, they feel slimy and seem to get soaked-through very fast.

Socks is a trickier proposition. I love the quicker drying of primarily synthetic, but not the more slippery feel. For this, I would have to say the sweet spot is perhaps a 50/50 or 40/60 blend of cotton and synthetic. Currently I'm trying two socks - Elites (15% cotton), Dri-Fits (40% cotton).... and tomorrow I'll be trying the thick PE Nike fit-drys (70% cotton)

I also totally agree that high-end synthetic materials are very soft nowadays and make the best apparel and underwear/hats for sport. But for something designed to absorb sweat and feel nice when wet I still like cotton.

BTW, Arrow-Up is well worth checking out. Looks to becoming along very nicely as a company that understands what tennis players want and need.

ben123
01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
For wristbands, I only wear 75%+ cotton. More synthetic than that and, to me, they feel slimy and seem to get soaked-through very fast.

Socks is a trickier proposition. I love the quicker drying of primarily synthetic, but not the more slippery feel. For this, I would have to say the sweet spot is perhaps a 50/50 or 40/60 blend of cotton and synthetic. Currently I'm trying two socks - Elites (15% cotton), Dri-Fits (40% cotton).... and tomorrow I'll be trying the thick PE Nike fit-drys (70% cotton)

I also totally agree that high-end synthetic materials are very soft nowadays and make the best apparel and underwear/hats for sport. But for something designed to absorb sweat and feel nice when wet I still like cotton.

BTW, Arrow-Up is well worth checking out. Looks to becoming along very nicely as a company that understands what tennis players want and need.

yup agree with this one. a mix does the job i think.

ArliHawk
01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
I like 50-75 percent cotton for socks, blended with wicking materials.

Don't use wristbands.

kimguroo
01-26-2012, 07:43 AM
I'll be trying the thick PE Nike fit-drys (70% cotton)
I got the socks yesterday too but it was really nothing special.
elite is thicker.

Socks is really tricky. I don't need any special shoes or socks so actually I can wear whatever I have ^_^.
I personally prefer softer and thicker but half cushion is enough for me but thickness of elite socks might be better though.

charliefedererer
01-26-2012, 09:48 AM
The problem with cotton in socks is that when it gets wet (which is within minutes inside your tennis shoe running around) it compresses down and provides no cushioning.

Synthetic yarns in socks won't compress down when wet. They still provide cushioning for your foot in the shoe.

Thorlo socks originally set the standard for tennis socks. I still like the level 3 thick socks. Other manufacturers are preferred by others, though: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=269091

I have no problem with my feet sliding around in my shoes. But I always tighten and retie my tennis shoes quite tight after the initial warmup, which tends to loosen the fit of the shoe.