PDA

View Full Version : Back up rackets

DevilsChildXD
01-25-2012, 12:12 PM
So I'm currently using the regular AeroPro Drive GT and decided to buy a back up racket since I liked it so much and I saw that *******sports was selling the same racket but french open edition for only $159 and decided to buy it. Well I bought the racket and played like 6 hours with it and it felt different? It was definitely lighter and the swing weight seemed to be lower. It was still playable but I had to change a lot of things just to get decent shots. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem with their back up rackets and what did you guys do to fix it? I'm thinking about adding lead but I'm not sure what I should do yet. =/

user92626
01-25-2012, 12:27 PM
In one year I had bought 4 other apdc's at different time to match my main apdc, but not one felt the same. Ended up selling them away. Something about the apd that feels very different from one another. I tried my friend's apdc bought from the same shop and it was the same issue. I gave up on finding its backup :) (more like I never break a poly string and need a backup)

Now I got a apdgt and it feels noticeably different than my adpc LOL, but I was able to match them up, weight-wise. I just matched their static weight, head's and handle's weight to be exact same grams, and they feel the same with "shadow" swinging, but still feel different on actual impacting the ball.

Bergboy123
01-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I had the same issue -- owned a APD, but then purchased the French Open version of the exact same racket. They look the same, (except color :) ) but they feel different -- FO version does feel lighter.

DevilsChildXD
01-25-2012, 03:51 PM
In one year I had bought 4 other apdc's at different time to match my main apdc, but not one felt the same. Ended up selling them away. Something about the apd that feels very different from one another. I tried my friend's apdc bought from the same shop and it was the same issue. I gave up on finding its backup :) (more like I never break a poly string and need a backup)

Now I got a apdgt and it feels noticeably different than my adpc LOL, but I was able to match them up, weight-wise. I just matched their static weight, head's and handle's weight to be exact same grams, and they feel the same with "shadow" swinging, but still feel different on actual impacting the ball.

Did you use a regular scale to measure everything? How did you know where to put the lead?

DevilsChildXD
01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I had the same issue -- owned a APD, but then purchased the French Open version of the exact same racket. They look the same, (except color :) ) but they feel different -- FO version does feel lighter.

I think I'm going to try leading the FO version I'll tell you how it goes lol

LeeD
01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Really hard to find a match if you buy them at different time and place. Unless you bring yours in to weigh and balance, you won't.

NeverGassed1212
01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
Quality control is an issue for some of the larger companies. I just bought two wilsons and had one 10g lighter than the other and had to use lead tape to match weight. I had to buy a scale and used a dowel to match the balance which took some trial and error to get the placement of the 10 grams correct. I would start by checking to see what the static weight of each racquet is and work from there.

user92626
01-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Did you use a regular scale to measure everything? How did you know where to put the lead?

I have a digital food scale. I figure that weight generally spreads more or less evenly across the racket, of course retain the balance characteristic. So putting lead tape spreading on the 10, 2 spots at the end of the bumper seems closest cuz I want to hide it under there. For the handle I just manipulate the amount of replacement grip and overgrip, again seems closest with spreading out the weight over the whole handle. It's never gonna be a perfectly alike in weight distributions between the two rackets, but nevertheless they do feel very alike in swinging .

It's actually only crazy with Babolat. I have a pair of Speed and they seem 99.9 alike for start. One has like 1 mm bigger gripsize! I did blind tests and could always detect them apart!