PDA

View Full Version : OK, how about these solid comfortable shoices

markwillplay
01-25-2012, 01:26 PM
no one responded to my other thread so how bout this one... Looking at the new Donnay Pro One, Becker Melbourne, and Redondo 98. I am looking for good plow, comfy on arm. Been a while since I have played but am now hitting with my trusty max 200G to get my eye back on the ball. My favorites were the bkecker 11 mid and then 11 mid plus. I did have there grip shape changed but it has been long enoug now that I think I can gt used to most anything. I like a plush, solid ride and good stability.

TimothyO
01-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Mark,

We must have been separated at birth!

:)

I too love solid, plush frames. Strings play a HUGE role in achieving that goal but the frame is the foundation.

Here are some frames that fit your goal. In the case of frames well below 12 oz lead tape will let you achieve your perfect weight and balance.

- PB10 Mid (little or no mod required)

- Pure Storm Limited (needsa little lead)

- Pure Storm Tour (pretty close stock)

- Speed 300 (needs lead)

- Biomimetic 200 Lite (needs some lead)

I also HIGHLY recommend the Wilson Shock Shield grip and VS mains. With any of these frames the result is plush WITHOUT being muted or mushy.

DoctorBackhand
01-25-2012, 03:03 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102323

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 03:42 PM
no one responded to my other thread so how bout this one... Looking at the new Donnay Pro One, Becker Melbourne, and Redondo 98. I am looking for good plow, comfy on arm. Been a while since I have played but am now hitting with my trusty max 200G to get my eye back on the ball. My favorites were the bkecker 11 mid and then 11 mid plus. I did have there grip shape changed but it has been long enoug now that I think I can gt used to most anything. I like a plush, solid ride and good stability.

If you played with the BB11s, and the BITD 200G--we assume that you can play and aren't a noobe 3.5. If so, then your natural progression would be the Melbourne. A more technologically advanced frame would be the X10 325.

Go To:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=362972
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=401437

sargeinaz
01-25-2012, 07:40 PM
If you want plush, my suggestions would be either the Melbourne or Redondo like you said or Pure Storm Tour and maybe even the Bio 200 (I havent hit with a Bio 200, but from what I've read). The pb10 mid is very plush as well, but needs some lead at the 2/10.

KenC
01-26-2012, 03:02 AM
On the Pure Storm Tour, the previous non-GT version is more comfortable, but the GT version feels more solid.

On the Pure Storm Limited, the non-GT version needs a lot of lead and is no more comfortable than the GT version. The GT version has a little more SW and seems to be more stable in stock form. A little lead at 12 goes a long way. Lead at 3 and 9 makes the racquet somewhat more stable against ball crushers, but I played it stock for a long time and never really had problems against hard hitters. To really nail the ball you need good technique with good weight transfer and a little lead at 12 and that's it. It is a very comfortable racquet, that's for sure.

markwillplay
01-26-2012, 08:29 AM
thanks. I think because of grip shape, I will look hard at the redondo 98. Might be just the ticket. I think I would like that grip shape better.

fuzz nation
01-26-2012, 08:53 AM
I had a Redondo 98 for a while and it was certainly a plush hitter. Now that I hit a one-handed backhand as much as I can and I'm also older, arm comfort is an essential with any racquet I use. While the Redondo was cozy for me, it was also a rather mellow hitter and I found better performance, along with all the comfort I wanted, in a couple of other racquets.

The one I've stayed with for a few years is the Volkl C10 Pro (98") and mine have some extra lead on the handles for the head-light balance I prefer. I don't recommend lead tuning for everyone, but personalities of these racquets can definitely be dialed in with a little attention. Along with very acceptable all-court performance, these frames keep my arm happy, even when I'm keeping a very busy schedule on the courts. Other "10 series" models from Volkl could be worth a look, but I haven't tried them since I'm not looking for anything new these days.

I'd also expect the Yonex RD Ti-80 to rank among the plush and stable, but that's only based on what I've heard around here. I may also try one of the newer Donnays if I can track one down. They seem to have enough old-school design that they might be fun and cozy.

Power Player
01-26-2012, 09:09 AM
The Pure Storm Tour is so plush.. definitely worth a demo.