PDA

View Full Version : pro staff 6.1 95 customization

Edo
01-25-2012, 03:40 PM
For all you experts out there, I need some help figuring this out:
I got a pair of pro staff 95's with the following specs:

weight 338 (with factory wilson sensation 16 string and wilson pro overgrip)
Balance 32.2
swingweight 316

my question is: if I replace the pro hybrid grip with a leather grip, how would that affect weight, balance and swingweight? In other words, is leather grip lighter or heavier than the pro hybrid grip?
Also, same question applies to strings: what happens when I replace these wilson sensation 16 with luxilon 17?

Hope someone can shed some light...

Chyeaah
01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Everything you change will alter the specs. SLIGHTLY.

Leather grip will make it heavier. If you check the string weight difference, you are really bored since it will only be 1-2 grams difference. Unless you get hollow core and fill it up with hydrogen gas which would make it lighter.

Edo
01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
:) you are absolutely right, i'm very bored!! Really, I was just asking because strung weight is about 8 grams heavier than what's supposed to be according to the specs both on wilson's website and tw specs and playtests, so I was assuming that the extra weight and the "off balance" was coming from these wilson sensation strings, which might be a little heavier than luxilon or thinner strings in general.
So if I replace the hybrid grip with a leather grip I increase the weight on the handle and make it more headlight, correct?
I just dont like this hybrid grip at all and I'm so used to leather grips, it sounds like the right choice.

Chyeaah
01-25-2012, 04:08 PM
:) you are absolutely right, i'm very bored!! Really, I was just asking because strung weight is about 8 grams heavier than what's supposed to be according to the specs both on wilson's website and tw specs and playtests, so I was assuming that the extra weight and the "off balance" was coming from these wilson sensation strings, which might be a little heavier than luxilon or thinner strings in general.
So if I replace the hybrid grip with a leather grip I increase the weight on the handle and make it more headlight, correct?
I just dont like this hybrid grip at all and I'm so used to leather grips, it sounds like the right choice.

Sensation is lighter than lux. Its Wilson's QC.

fortun8son
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Yes to all of the above.
The leather will also vary as it absorbs your sweat and dries out!
Some specs are strung weight and some are unstrung, but they don't always tell you!
P.S. You can do much better than Sensation, and cheaper.
Try Dunlop Comfort Synthetic16

Funbun
01-25-2012, 08:41 PM
This is a surprisingly good customization tool if you desire to experiment around: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php

If you already know your desired specs, here is a better tool: http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customization.php

I suggest you look up the weights of your specific leather grip compared to the Pro Hybrid.

Always keep in mind that not all racquets will match the TW specs. Try to determine your racquet's own weight and swingweight, because there could be a considerable difference. Did you really match your racquet's specs?

UCSF2012
01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Adding a leather grip will make the racket slightly heavier, while the shots produced are largely the same. Changing strings from Sensation 16 to Lux 17 would make the racket a bit lighter (probably), because the Lux should have less mass (thinner gauge and polyester is a bit lighter than nylon). The lower string mass will take away some pace off your shots. But you may gain control and whatnot.

What's with the obsession about specs? Is there something magical about a certain spec?

IF the racket doesn't hit the way you like it, THEN customize it. Don't customize it to a certain spec, then take it to the courts and decide if you like it. Even rackets with identical specs can hit very differently just because they have different beam designs.

Chyeaah
01-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Adding a leather grip will make the racket slightly heavier, while the shots produced are largely the same. Changing strings from Sensation 16 to Lux 17 would make the racket a bit lighter (probably), because the Lux should have less mass (thinner gauge and polyester is a bit lighter than nylon). The lower string mass will take away some pace off your shots. But you may gain control and whatnot.

What's with the obsession about specs? Is there something magical about a certain spec?

IF the racket doesn't hit the way you like it, THEN customize it. Don't customize it to a certain spec, then take it to the courts and decide if you like it. Even rackets with identical specs can hit very differently just because they have different beam designs.

Im pretty sure Poly is heavier than nylon.

UCSF2012
01-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Im pretty sure Poly is heavier than nylon.

It could be. I've never weighted it.

Edo
01-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Well,yeah,the specs i posted are my actual racquets' specs,i did all the measurements myself. I'm just asking because i'm coming from a youtek prestige mp which weights 345 but i dont have time to play as often as i used to and it's a bit hard on my arm since i'm not very fit due to lack of practice.. So i went for the ps 95 which looked similar but lighter,and it turns out it's only about 6 grams lighter,as opposed to 16.. So i'm trying somehow to lower the overall weight,or at least change the balance to make it more headlight and easier on my shoulder.

Chyeaah
01-26-2012, 01:20 AM
You can't change the weight much anymore. Making it more headlight won't make much difference on your shoulder.

Edo
01-26-2012, 02:22 AM
Yeah,thats why i was asking about grip and string weight and see if i had any margin..