PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Marketing

Crocodile
01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
With many people choosing racquets like Volkl and Pro kennex due to their soft and comfortable feel, shouldn't these companies be trying to sell these attributes more? while I can understand that money is a big issue with regard to product promotion and marketing I find that Volkl in particular is missing out big time. Their quality and feel are of a high standard, yet not enough of the general population know about. I would have thought that player comfort and quality should rank very highly with consumers. In my area here, many of the players are buying Babolat, Head or Wilson, good on them, hence many retailers are not keen on stocking Volkl because of the better sales they have with these brands.
Once you put a Volkl in a players hand and they have a hit, many are amazed how good these frames are.
I can understand that the major companies can sponsor WTA and ATP high profile players as part of their marketing methods, but companies like Volkl need to work harder with their distributers and the various stakeholders holders in the tennis industry including retailers, teaching professionals, players and consumers. Any thoughts about this?

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 05:10 PM
With many people choosing racquets like Volkl and Pro kennex due to their soft and comfortable feel, shouldn't these companies be trying to sell these attributes more? while I can understand that money is a big issue with regard to product promotion and marketing I find that Volkl in particular is missing out big time. Their quality and feel are of a high standard, yet not enough of the general population know about. I would have thought that player comfort and quality should rank very highly with consumers. In my area here, many of the players are buying Babolat, Head or Wilson, good on them, hence many retailers are not keen on stocking Volkl because of the better sales they have with these brands.
Once you put a Volkl in a players hand and they have a hit, many are amazed how good these frames are.
I can understand that the major companies can sponsor WTA and ATP high profile players as part of their marketing methods, but companies like Volkl need to work harder with their distributers and the various stakeholders holders in the tennis industry including retailers, teaching professionals, players and consumers. Any thoughts about this?

I've been saying this for years, and years, and years. Between the "feel" and the tech, the sticks are beyond compare, and why I have used them since '93.

Cesare
01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
i've heard that Volkl refuse to give 250'000 dollars to Atp players because they want to invest that money in techs and quality control.

Bartelby
01-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Their marketing efforts around here are nothing short of stellar.

And this is about the size of their niche in the market.

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 05:59 PM
i've heard that Volkl refuse to give 250'000 dollars to Atp players because they want to invest that money in techs and quality control.

You wish! If that money were available, it would be used to contract players.

volleygirl
01-25-2012, 06:00 PM

What country are Volki racquets made in?

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 06:02 PM
What country are Volki racquets made in?

Like every other company's stick, in China.

Cesare
01-25-2012, 06:05 PM

Mav, is it true that the Volkl factory is in the same place where Prince produces their sticks? i mean that in one side of the factory there's is Volkl,and in the other side there's Prince.

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Mav, is it true that the Volkl factory is in the same place where Prince produces their sticks? i mean that in one side of the factory there's is Volkl,and in the other side there's Prince.

No. It's one independent factory which gears-up the molds for whatever the run. The factory is in Fujian, and they make Head, Yonex--and yes, we know that some are still made in Japan before anyone foams at the mouth--Babolat, and BB/Volkl. As far as I know, Prince nor Wilson are not made there.

Cesare
01-25-2012, 06:21 PM
No. It's one independent factory which gears-up the molds for whatever the run. The factory is in Fujian, and they make Head, Yonex--and yes, we know that some are still made in Japan before anyone foams at the mouth--Babolat, and BB/Volkl. As far as I know, Prince nor Wilson are not made there.

Thanks, great info. I've been told wrong.

volleygirl
01-25-2012, 06:24 PM

I play with a Tecnifibre racquet. Are they also made in China?

Cesare
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM

Yes,for sure. Tecnifibre has great quality control indeed

vsbabolat
01-25-2012, 06:35 PM

Yes, they are.

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Yes,for sure. Tecnifibre has great quality control indeed

BTW: Just found out that Wilson and Prince have some sticks made there as well!!!

What a monopoly!

Cesare
01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
BTW: Just found out that Wilson and Prince have some sticks made there as well!!!

What a monopoly!

Mav, look at here. So was i right? (read the Stefano's post)

http://www.stringforum.net/board/archive/index.php/t-3397.html

volleygirl
01-25-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes, they are.

I have read your posts plenty of times in these forums and respect your opinion, Would you rank these companies in order of quality in your opinion?

head, prince, wilson, dunlop, kennex, volki, technifibre, boris becker, yonex, babolat, and adidas? thanks

vsbabolat
01-25-2012, 07:09 PM
I have read your posts plenty of times in these forums and respect your opinion, Would you rank these companies in order of quality in your opinion?

head, prince, wilson, dunlop, kennex, volki, technifibre, boris becker, yonex, babolat, and adidas? thanks

As far as quality goes I think Yonex, Volkl, Boris Becker, Pro Kennex, and HEAD have great quality. I don't have experience with Tecnifibre racquets although I quite like their string. I have never hit with the new Adidas racquet so I can't give you a opinion on them. I can't give a opinion on the Prince racquets because I have not spent to much time on the O port frames but their frames before was good quality.

I think babolat racquets is a level lower than that first group. I think Wilson has the lowest Quality. Spec all over the place and chipping paint on many frames.

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Mav, look at here. So was i right? (read the Stefano's post)

http://www.stringforum.net/board/archive/index.php/t-3397.html

Good read! As far as I know, Prince and Wilson haven't been contracting this factory for very long.

Wilson's QC issues have been widely discussed. The vendor gets what they pay for. People pop-off about Chinese manufacturing, but the manufacturer makes whatever is ordered and paid for. Want bright red paint on a metal toy but don't want to pay for non-lead paint, then you get bright red, made from lead. Only the milk issue was an issue. IMPO, sticks should be like iPhones.

whomad15
01-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Fujigen factories churn out some fantastic stuff. from racquets to guitars.

Cesare
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Wich guitars, chinese telecasters?

TennisMaverick
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Check this out about Apple:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/business/apple-america-and-a-squeezed-middle-class.html?pagewanted=all

“They could hire 3,000 people overnight,” said Jennifer Rigoni, who was Apple’s worldwide supply demand manager until 2010, but declined to discuss specifics of her work. “What U.S. plant can find 3,000 people overnight and convince them to live in dorms?”

In mid-2007, after a month of experimentation, Apple’s engineers finally perfected a method for cutting strengthened glass so it could be used in the iPhone’s screen. The first truckloads of cut glass arrived at Foxconn City in the dead of night, according to the former Apple executive. That’s when managers woke thousands of workers, who crawled into their uniforms — white and black shirts for men, red for women — and quickly lined up to assemble, by hand, the phones. Within three months, Apple had sold one million iPhones. Since then, Foxconn has assembled over 200 million more.

Crocodile
01-25-2012, 11:57 PM
The point I am trying to make is that Volkl need to work harder to promote the benefits of their racquets to consumers better. About 10 years ago they had a slogan that went something like this, "You can feel it", on their header covers and indeed at that time there was a big difference in comfort levels between Volkl and everyone else with the exception of Fischer, Kennex and Kneissl. They had their C10, C9 and V1 and then followed up with racquets like the Catapult 10, 6 and 4. which were all very comfortable.
I feel that many of the other brands started to make up ground when the DNX range came out and problems occurred when the name went to Boris Becker and a cheap range of club racquets were released here is AU. Some suggested that the V-Engine series was misunderstood by customers who thought it looked like it was cracked (Even though the VETour 10 MP was one of my favourites) and therefore with all this going around many retailers became more cautious of the brand.
Finally it appears that the Power Bridge and Organix ranges are a come back for Volkl which I think is great for players who appreciate comfortable frames. What Volkl need to do now is to put a strategic plan together to sell the benefits of their products to all stakeholders involved in the tennis industry. Just for interest, without knowing the figures two of the best selling frames here in Australia in the last 10 years have been the Pure Drive with players and a TiS6 for recreational players, and lately the Aero and Speed series racquets. Well done to these brands, but surely Volkl can do better.
It's the same with cars here in Australia where for many years the Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon were top sellers, whereas the Mitsubishi 380 (I think its the US equivalent of the Diamonte Galant I think) even though was a better car is no longer being sold due to poor sales.

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-26-2012, 09:42 AM

I saw on my club's pro shop the other day some Volkl racquets. I paid attention about their QC and for the same racquet model there were 2,3 types of QC.

1- QC "H"
2-QC "D"
3- QC "C" (I can't remember exactly but the other 2 are spot on.)

What's the difference between these letters and why is there such??

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-26-2012, 09:48 AM
As for quality alone, Yonex and Bosworth are the best then Wilson(the head foam filled ones PS, BLX Six One) and the rest.

The only reason why HEAD and Wilson's QC is bad is because they have a few factories to manufacture the high demand of sales they have, in that way they can produce enough for their demands.

Playability and performance I only like the Yonex I'm settled with and some Wilson racquets, I don't like any of head racquets anymore, for me they only made 2 great playing racquets the Iprestige mid and prestige 600.

TennisMaverick
01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
I saw on my club's pro shop the other day some Volkl racquets. I paid attention about their QC and for the same racquet model there were 2,3 types of QC.

1- QC "H"
2-QC "D"
3- QC "C" (I can't remember exactly but the other 2 are spot on.)

What's the difference between these letters and why is there such??

Inspectors ID, like who it is.....that's all.