PDA

View Full Version : Official positioning of Pure Drive & AeroPro

wmoore
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm a lifelong Wilson guy - strong 4.5, all court game, big serve - but for some reason, I have this urge to look at other lines.

As I look at the specs for Babolat's Pure Drive and AeroPro lines - it does not appear that the specifications are all that difference -- a couple of tenths of an ounce in weight and a point or two in stiffness....

How does Babolat position the two frames? Do they say one frame style is better suited one a particular style of play? I'd REALLY like to know what Babolat has to say if anyone out there knows. Short of that - what is your experience?

TheBoom
01-25-2012, 07:21 PM
I love both frames actually. It may be a cliche but the groundstrokes and spin are great with the aero pro drive I just want to sit and loop balls all day or go for rediculous angles. The pure drives are for more aggressive players they have a lot more power (IMO) than the apd but with slightly less spin. I actually froths aero pro drive to be much more comfortable on the arm than the pure drive as well. Basically it you're aggressive and fit flatter pure drives are better for you and if you hit with more spin/safety and less power the aero pro drive is best! Like I said its stereotypical but having played around wih either frame for a while that's what I've found

ArliHawk
01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
I demoed both the aeropro drive and the pure drive last year. Chose the aero pro drive because it felt more stable to me. Don't think you cam really go wrong with either.

Actually demoed the new pure drive, too. Really liked it, but am going to stick with the aero pro drive for now.

scotus
01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
They are very different sticks:

One helps you serve bombs like Roddick, and the other helps you hit monster topspin like Rafa!

:)

2Hare
01-25-2012, 08:00 PM
If you just look closely at the design of APD then you'll see it's designed to flow in the direction parallel to the racket face. So it will cut through air faster in ground strokes and slices. Combine that with awesome stiffness, result is easy and addictive spin. However this design also means that it doesn't want to through air in the direction perpendicular to the racket face. So flat shots, volleys and serves suffer a bit as the result. But I think the trade off is well worth it for most ppl.

As for the pure drive, it's not as special as there are many imitators out there now that do a good job, including Wilson's Pro Open and Head's Extreme Pro etc. As everyone knows, it's awesome for serving, all rounded for most areas. Just not that great at touch shots.

Bartelby
01-25-2012, 08:05 PM
I tend to think spin is a matter of technique, but the racquet is polarised for spin, if that theory has any credence, but its throat gives it a lot of weight in the centre and hence power even for flat shots, if that theory has any credence...

Personally, power is the thing it's good for and spin technique controls the power and provides the dip.

Ross K
01-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes, general perception is APD is slightly spinnier and PD is slightly bigger serving and hits flat a little more naturally. There isn't a huge amount in it IMO. It could come down to a liking - or an aversion - to the Aero throat. BTW, the newer, softer full polys @ low tensions work well in these rackets also.

Chyeaah
01-25-2012, 08:42 PM
The only reason the APD is spinnier is that it cuts through the air faster. This is good for spin but really bad for flat shots.

KenC
01-26-2012, 02:33 AM
They are very different sticks:

One helps you serve bombs like Roddick, and the other helps you hit monster topspin like Rafa!

:)

You got that right! You are a great consumer! Keep it up!

And whatever you do, don't pay any attention to those serious players who think Roddick serves bombs because of his technique, and Rafa hits monster spin because of his technique. Who knows more about tennis than the great people in Babolat marketing?!

OP, if you are currently playing, and liking, Wilson racquets, I would first look at the Babolat Pure Storm Tour, especially at your level. You might be going backwards instead of ahead if you go toward the Pure Drive or APDGT. I would also look into the Dunlop racquets which seem to have that Wilson feel but are maybe a little more arm friendly, in general.

Oh, but if you really want to play great tennis today you MUST buy the Head Speed 18x20 and you will be guaranteed to immediately win 3 majors and rocket to world no. 1! It worked for Djokovic, why wouldn't it work for everybody else! If you don't believe me, just ask the Head marketing department.

user92626
01-26-2012, 09:12 AM
I have both and they play exactly alike!

The only difference is probably on the psychological front: apd is wilder and manly while pd is more all around and feminine.

Apd almost never looks good in a woman player's hand but she'd look fanstastic with a pd. On the same token, guys look bland with a pd but if he's a little aggressive and carries a apd, he'd look like a beast! :)

Power Player
01-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Avoid Cortex if possible.

I put gut in my Wilson 6.1 95 and the thing hits bigger than any Babo I have owned. Not sure what Wilson you have though.

I find the Wilson much more accurate and I used Babs for a while. The APDC is one of my favorites, but if you really want to go Bab, the Pure Storm Tour gt is one of their best offerings.

Dave M
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM

The only difference is probably on the psychological front: apd is wilder and manly while pd is more all around and feminine.

Apd almost never looks good in a woman player's hand but she'd look fanstastic with a pd. On the same token, guys look bland with a pd but if he's a little aggressive and carries a apd, he'd look like a beast! :)

:confused: an APD described as manly..........that's new.

Dennison
01-26-2012, 11:31 AM
The specs are similar but they feel differently. APD is probably more polarized.
So it's easier to swing, more spin, but you are missing out on stable feel of PD Roddick.

They both have more than enough power and spin potential. I felt that PD R was easier to play with overall. That stable feel makes it easier to hit flatter shots and serve returns

Fed6.1
01-26-2012, 12:30 PM

So Roddick looks bland and feminine with a black pure drive? Maybe if it was Berdych I would agree.

ollinger
01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Just "go JackB1" here, buy both (and a Pure Storm while you're at it), sell the one you don't like.

user92626
01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
So Roddick looks bland and feminine with a black pure drive? Maybe if it was Berdych I would agree.

Yes, lately Roddick is always someone's b!#%h. Hell , Na Li and Kim look like they have more testosterone than Roddick does.

quest01
01-26-2012, 04:46 PM
There really isn't a huge difference between the two, the aeropro has the aerodynamic shaft and the specs are slightly different. I use a apdgt leaded up to around 12oz. I put 2 layers of 4 inch strips of lead at the 3 and 9 for added stability and less twisting on contact.

Teski
01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Dennison;6275136 I felt that PD R was easier to play with overall. That stable feel makes it easier to hit flatter shots and serve returns[/QUOTE]

I'm finding this to be very true as I've been demoing the new 2012 PDR for the last week. I've pre-ordered one and am very excited to get it setup with my config. Very solid, stable, and easy to generate great depth and plow with a nice smooth swing.

Dennison
01-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Teski did you get PDR or PDR+?

I'm thinking to try extended version, wondering which one is better..

Ashanti
01-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Teski did you get PDR or PDR+?

I'm thinking to try extended version, wondering which one is better..

im wondering this as well been debating between standard or the plus

netlets
02-01-2012, 05:42 AM
I've been using the PD for a long time. When its time to buy new sticks I always play test the APD's newest version. I play heavy spin on my forehand (5.0) and hit through the ball more on my BH. The biggest difference I found was the way the weight was distributed. The PD felt really comfortable to me with great feel. I didn't like the APD at all. It felt heavier in the throat to me. So I disagree with the fact that if you like one you'll like the other.

BC1
02-01-2012, 07:00 AM
I've been using the PD for a long time. When its time to buy new sticks I always play test the APD's newest version. I play heavy spin on my forehand (5.0) and hit through the ball more on my BH. The biggest difference I found was the way the weight was distributed. The PD felt really comfortable to me with great feel. I didn't like the APD at all. It felt heavier in the throat to me. So I disagree with the fact that if you like one you'll like the other.

I agree. The specs may be the same, but they are very different racquets. It's not all marketing hype - The APDGT really seems to suit a topspin, fast swing, game. I have more of a traditional flatter swing and the PD works best, for me.

Limpinhitter
02-02-2012, 05:50 AM
I'm a lifelong Wilson guy - strong 4.5, all court game, big serve - but for some reason, I have this urge to look at other lines.

As I look at the specs for Babolat's Pure Drive and AeroPro lines - it does not appear that the specifications are all that difference -- a couple of tenths of an ounce in weight and a point or two in stiffness....

How does Babolat position the two frames? Do they say one frame style is better suited one a particular style of play? I'd REALLY like to know what Babolat has to say if anyone out there knows. Short of that - what is your experience?

Notwithstanding the specs, the APD feels more head heavy with more swingweight than the PD. How you employ that difference is up to you.

ArliHawk
02-02-2012, 05:56 AM
The APD just seems more stable and less jarring than the PD to me.

quest01
02-02-2012, 07:17 AM
I've used the pdgt and currently use the apdgt and there isn't a huge difference between the two except a few differences in specs. The only physical difference is the aerodynamic throat on the apd. For my preference there both stable but not completely to my liking unless i add lead tape to the racquet. I add lead tape to the 3 and 9 and it feels awesome on the apdgt.