PDA

View Full Version : Me hitting if youre interested

himynameisNIKE
01-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Had to make a video for a college coach, heres something to keep you guys busy :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeA0brK3ABA&feature=plcp&context=C39c808fUDOEgsToPDskJqTuNdTMU-ngb0JDd0iO3T im in the white hat

Ducker
01-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Interesting, Im going to be honest thats not what I expected from college level. Seems to be more like rec stuff.

tennis_balla
01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Seems like the first reply didn't fail to disappoint.

Good playing, hope you get on the team. I know you were warming up, but for a recruiting video go against the grain and move your feet a bit more even if it is something you don't normally do. There were some pretty casual looking balls. Coaches pick up on that kinda small stuff quickly and its not what they wanna see.

Chyeaah
01-26-2012, 01:31 AM
This looks like high 3.5 level. Aim for the lines and hit hard to them, practice with a ball machine.

himynameisNIKE
01-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Seems like the first reply didn't fail to disappoint.

Good playing, hope you get on the team. I know you were warming up, but for a recruiting video go against the grain and move your feet a bit more even if it is something you don't normally do. There were some pretty casual looking balls. Coaches pick up on that kinda small stuff quickly and its not what they wanna see.

i was hoping it didnt look too lazy. my logic is that he could see my strokes in the warm up and then see them in action in the points towards the end. its taken me two weeks to record the video, so I was hoping to get it done in one shot :oops:

MarinaHighTennis
01-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Interesting, Im going to be honest thats not what I expected from college level. Seems to be more like rec stuff.
Guy in the front is no doubt a college player. However, back guy is at a little lower level. His form's not as sound.

Great hitting though :)

Chyeaah
01-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Sorry this would be 4.0 level didn't watch the shots at the end.

Limpinhitter
01-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Had to make a video for a college coach, heres something to keep you guys busy :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeA0brK3ABA&feature=plcp&context=C39c808fUDOEgsToPDskJqTuNdTMU-ngb0JDd0iO3T im in the white hat

(1) Your shot preparation/set up is inconsistent. Especially when you have to move, you're not always in good position to hit the ball, both from the ground and at the net.

(2) Your serve is not up to the level of your ground game from what I can see in this video. It's a bit of a slap. IMO, your serve should be a weapon that you win points with, not just a point starter. That is a mindset, a choice, that you have to make. Having a serve that is a weapon instantly elevates your level of play. It turns losing close matches in to winning close matches. Again, I'm looking at a very limited view of your serve in this video. But, technically, it looks like your upper body rotation/weight transfer and your arm swing are disconnected. You are turning your upper body and leaning in too far ahead of your upward swing and leaving yourself only with your arm to generate power. Try to hold back on your upper body rotation and weight transfer until you are ready to swing up at the ball.

Hope that helps.

dsa202
01-26-2012, 07:59 AM
This looks like high 3.5 level. Aim for the lines and hit hard to them, practice with a ball machine.

Yeah, he's definitely not a 3.5. Goes to show who the real n00b is here.

tennis_balla
01-26-2012, 08:05 AM
i was hoping it didnt look too lazy. my logic is that he could see my strokes in the warm up and then see them in action in the points towards the end. its taken me two weeks to record the video, so I was hoping to get it done in one shot :oops:

You definitely upped things during the points and thats good to see. This is just what I noticed, but I warm up the same way and theres nothing wrong with it. Everyone plays to their own rhythm on the court.

ho
01-26-2012, 08:13 AM
your 2HBH look good, need to bend knee to add speed. Arms should have more relaxation. It will help hit thru the ball more.
Your FH will fail you in the recruit. It's complicate and will fail in pressure time. Compare your mechanic and the pro mechanic, make it simple, you will succeed.

MarinaHighTennis
01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
idk looks a lot better than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFgWwCzUeQk&feature=channel_video_title with a lot of people saying this is 4.5. He has a very Bradley Khlan forehand

mike84
01-26-2012, 08:53 AM
very consistent and good movement

but surprised at the rather slow speed of rallies

is that really college ?

i mean comparing it to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvtZBct1Vqw&feature=plcp&context=C3ba878dUDOEgsToPDskIUid_YuTFRd1GFb_wm2nsa

tennis_balla
01-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Different playing levels of college players

NJ1
01-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Solid hitting and thanks for the vid.

One thing: if you're going to work the net I'd improve the volleying asap.

sunof tennis
01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
your 2HBH look good, need to bend knee to add speed. Arms should have more relaxation. It will help hit thru the ball more.
Your FH will fail you in the recruit. It's complicate and will fail in pressure time. Compare your mechanic and the pro mechanic, make it simple, you will succeed.

I also thought your backhand looked more solid than your forehand. I get the sense that you feel your forehand is your weapon and you are going for consistency with your backhand. I wonder though, does your forehand breakdown under pressure for the reasons set forth above?
Also, ignore the nonsense about you being a 3.5 or 4.0 player. I think your serve and volleys could use some improvement but your game and movement is solid.

SFrazeur
01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah, he's definitely not a 3.5. Goes to show who the real n00b is here.

All one has to do is look at his footwork patterns and tell he's NO 3.5.

-SF

Power Player
01-26-2012, 09:59 AM

dude stop posting so much misinfo. Maybe take some time to just read for a few months or something because you are just clueless about stuff.

himynameisNIKE
01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
(1) Your shot preparation/set up is inconsistent. Especially when you have to move, you're not always in good position to hit the ball, both from the ground and at the net.

(2) Your serve is not up to the level of your ground game from what I can see in this video. It's a bit of a slap. IMO, your serve should be a weapon that you win points with, not just a point starter. That is a mindset, a choice, that you have to make. Having a serve that is a weapon instantly elevates your level of play. It turns losing close matches in to winning close matches. Again, I'm looking at a very limited view of your serve in this video. But, technically, it looks like your upper body rotation/weight transfer and your arm swing are disconnected. You are turning your upper body and leaning in too far ahead of your upward swing and leaving yourself only with your arm to generate power. Try to hold back on your upper body rotation and weight transfer until you are ready to swing up at the ball.

Hope that helps.
My serve has never been technically sound, and my massive growth spurt followed by a 9 month layoff because of injury did not help either. It is obviously my main stroke to improve right now, im too tall for it to not be a weapon.

I also thought your backhand looked more solid than your forehand. I get the sense that you feel your forehand is your weapon and you are going for consistency with your backhand. I wonder though, does your forehand breakdown under pressure for the reasons set forth above?
Also, ignore the nonsense about you being a 3.5 or 4.0 player. I think your serve and volleys could use some improvement but your game and movement is solid.

My backhand is definitely my stronger side. My forehand hasn't been a weapon until lately, but i can definitely attack with it. I wouldnt say it breaks down under pressure but i do tend to spray it more than my backhand, but once i get into a rhythm with it it is more of a weapon. My volleys used to be absolutely terrible. i worked on them alot over the summer and now i have pretty decent hands but i tend to get a little excited and take i swing at it. 3.5? 4.0? you guys are obviously f[U]u[U]cking with me haha this kid has a Gold Ball and i routinely take sets off of him, it was 6-2 5-7 during this session.

himynameisNIKE
01-26-2012, 10:15 AM
very consistent and good movement

but surprised at the rather slow speed of rallies

is that really college ?

i mean comparing it to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvtZBct1Vqw&feature=plcp&context=C3ba878dUDOEgsToPDskIUid_YuTFRd1GFb_wm2nsa

bro Clay Thompson plays for UCLA, I'm trying to go to a DII school in Hawaii. we were just warming up, take a look at the points at the end.

Limpinhitter
01-26-2012, 10:52 AM
My serve has never been technically sound, and my massive growth spurt followed by a 9 month layoff because of injury did not help either. It is obviously my main stroke to improve right now, im too tall for it to not be a weapon.

My backhand is definitely my stronger side. My forehand hasn't been a weapon until lately, but i can definitely attack with it. I wouldnt say it breaks down under pressure but i do tend to spray it more than my backhand, but once i get into a rhythm with it it is more of a weapon. My volleys used to be absolutely terrible. i worked on them alot over the summer and now i have pretty decent hands but i tend to get a little excited and take i swing at it. 3.5? 4.0? you guys are obviously f[U]u[U]cking with me haha this kid has a Gold Ball and i routinely take sets off of him, it was 6-2 5-7 during this session.

Since you brought it up . . . . Notice how much simpler and quieter your backhand windup is than your forehand. IMO, you've got too much arm/elbow action ala Tomic on your forehand windup. Even more than Tomic, actually. Similar to your serve, all that action makes it more difficult to time your upper body rotation with your arm swing. Try taking a nice full upper body turn with your elbow down and your racquet straight up. You really don't need much arm movement at all in the take back. From there, drive with your hips, then shoulders and let your forward momentum cause the racquet head to drop below the level of the ball. From there, sweep up on the ball without all that extraneous arm movement. As you finish your turn, your racquet will travel across and then down near your left hip.

IMO, the L&R guy has near perfect technique on both sides. Here's his forehand lesson: http://www.youtube.com/user/lockandrolltennis#p/u/0/EMNtq393tvo

matrix
01-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I would string your racquet at a lower tension. Try 52lbs with Pro line 2. works great in the prestige. Keep up the good work and I hope you make the team

himynameisNIKE
01-26-2012, 11:03 AM
I would string your racquet at a lower tension. Try 52lbs with Pro line 2. works great in the prestige. Keep up the good work and I hope you make the team
i used pl2 for a year then my contract was up and now i play with volkl cyclone. great string though. i went from 58-60ish down to 54, i could try 52.

himynameisNIKE
01-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Since you brought it up . . . . Notice how much simpler and quieter your backhand windup is than your forehand. IMO, you've got too much arm/elbow action ala Tomic on your forehand windup. Even more than Tomic, actually. Similar to your serve, all that action makes it more difficult to time your upper body rotation with your arm swing. Try taking a nice full upper body turn with your elbow down and your racquet straight up. You really don't need much arm movement at all in the take back. From there, drive with your hips, then shoulders and let your forward momentum cause the racquet head to drop below the level of the ball. From there, sweep up on the ball without all that extraneous arm movement. As you finish your turn, your racquet will travel across and then down near your left hip.

IMO, the L&R guy has near perfect technique on both sides. Here's his forehand lesson: http://www.youtube.com/user/lockandrolltennis#p/u/0/EMNtq393tvo

ill make more of an effort to minimize all the movement. its just hard for me to time the backswing with the forehand, ive always struggled with it.

Limpinhitter
01-26-2012, 11:17 AM
ill make more of an effort to minimize all the movement. its just hard for me to time the backswing with the forehand, ive always struggled with it.

Maybe all the extra movement is the issue. Just turn your upper body and minimize arm involvment in the backswing. Also, (this is a contentious/disputed issue for some), I'd highly recommend that, when simplifying your backswing, you focus on keeping your arm, wrist and grip loose and relaxed throught your swing, including contact. You'll find that you don't need all that movement to generate acceleration, and that you will hit the ball cleaner. Same thing applies to the bh.

Pet
01-26-2012, 11:17 AM
3,5 NRTP oh my God, here are very dumbass people

He have a lot of more technique than the majority of videos posted.

Good work dude.

LeeD
01-26-2012, 06:41 PM
For a promo vid, I think it's better if both you guys were warmed up and ready for ACTION.
You might start with serves and play out points, full speed.
Hitting softly and carefully does not showcase your skills.
I think you are easy 5, so college material, especially for UH, but please show more than careful conservative rallies.
Ater 4 rallyballs, we know what you CAN do, we'd like to see you expand on that.

01-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Danger in that approach is you loose him in the first few minutes like you did me. Your effort looked so low in the early part, I missed the ending till I read your comments above. You looked much better in the points at the end.

himynameisNIKE
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
we ended up playing two sets but the camera died midway through the first set so i did not have much footage of points to send him. after we exchanged a few emails, the coach asked me for a video, and after ten days this is really all i had. I told him the first few mintues were warm up and there were points towards the end. My brother approved this video and he signed with a D1 school, so hopefully my faith in his judgement will not backfire :???:

SoBad
01-26-2012, 09:18 PM

Why aim for the lines when there is a fence. High 3.5 in your dreams or in Sydney or a weak team in Mississippi maybe. Solid 3.0 in NY metro = chance to pitch in a 2.5 boardroom in SoCal.

01-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Why aim for the lines when there is a fence. High 3.5 in your dreams or in Sydney or a weak team in Mississippi maybe. Solid 3.0 in NY metro = chance to pitch in a 2.5 boardroom in SoCal.

You don't even want to bring that NY game down to Southerns, including Mississippi, lol. Don't play.

SoBad
01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
You don't even want to bring that NY game down to Southerns, including Mississippi, lol. Don't play.

Why do you say that? I've been dreaming about visiting Mississippi for a long time. There is a lot going on there.

MLB_MOB
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM

Your forehand takeback is quirky but its not bad, as long as you are comfortable with it that is all that matters.

Anyways you are a good player man, even the shots in the beginning people dont realize that those warm up shots are all deep in the court with a lot of net clearance. Good luck to you in playing. College tennis takes up a lot of time! But its fun, you stay in shape, get to play and even throw a few mixers with some girl sports teams (never a bad thing) Just make sure you treat it as something to do for fun and not a job (it gets stressful sometimes when you dont do as well as you want)

himynameisNIKE
01-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Your forehand takeback is quirky but its not bad, as long as you are comfortable with it that is all that matters.

Anyways you are a good player man, even the shots in the beginning people dont realize that those warm up shots are all deep in the court with a lot of net clearance. Good luck to you in playing. College tennis takes up a lot of time! But its fun, you stay in shape, get to play and even throw a few mixers with some girl sports teams (never a bad thing) Just make sure you treat it as something to do for fun and not a job (it gets stressful sometimes when you dont do as well as you want)

what school do you play for? is it hard to get all your classwork done and play tennis? im under the impression i wont have any free time.

MarinaHighTennis
01-27-2012, 07:25 AM
what school do you play for? is it hard to get all your classwork done and play tennis? im under the impression i wont have any free time.

Depends on your major. I was a college player (1st year) then I quit because as Biology major I needed every extra time to study and I couldn't be too tired to study. Its better to do club then college because theres no commitment and its all "for fun". Also, theres a lot more time with girls :)

himynameisNIKE
01-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Ok makes sense. The only reason im really looking to play college tennis is to get some scholarship money, if i could not play tennis and still afford to go to the school i would definitely do that

MLB_MOB
01-27-2012, 10:23 AM

I'm not going to list my college name on here sorry =/ god knows there would be 80 thousand people starting threads whenever I win and lose lol. But it is very possible to play tennis, do your work and have fun. The most important thing to do is make time for everything.

Make sure you do your work as soon as possible and do not leave it for last minute, that way you can practice and party without any problems. I am a history and political science double major with a minor in philosophy and have managed to keep above a 3.0 GPA (my college is the one of the top 15 most difficult schools in the country so its not like its a cake walk) and I manage to play tennis, enjoy recreational activities college students should and sleep lol. But you have to allow yourself the time to do it, as much as you will want to sit around and watch TV or go on facebook before you do your work, you have to do it first

himynameisNIKE
01-27-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm not going to list my college name on here sorry =/ god knows there would be 80 thousand people starting threads whenever I win and lose lol. But it is very possible to play tennis, do your work and have fun. The most important thing to do is make time for everything.

Make sure you do your work as soon as possible and do not leave it for last minute, that way you can practice and party without any problems. I am a history and political science double major with a minor in philosophy and have managed to keep above a 3.0 GPA (my college is the one of the top 15 most difficult schools in the country so its not like its a cake walk) and I manage to play tennis, enjoy recreational activities college students should and sleep lol. But you have to allow yourself the time to do it, as much as you will want to sit around and watch TV or go on facebook before you do your work, you have to do it first

thats pretty much exactly what my parents are telling me to do lol. thanks for the advice though, it sounds like a lot of pressure with scholarships and all but it seems if i manage my time well i shouldnt have too many issues.

sunof tennis
01-27-2012, 01:30 PM
bro Clay Thompson plays for UCLA, I'm trying to go to a DII school in Hawaii. we were just warming up, take a look at the points at the end.

DII school in Hawaii! I am completely jealous. Of course, I am jealous that you are college aged and not old like me.

Ducker
01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
You dont want to go to Hawaii, its too warm and sunny.

MLB_MOB
01-27-2012, 02:13 PM
thats pretty much exactly what my parents are telling me to do lol. thanks for the advice though, it sounds like a lot of pressure with scholarships and all but it seems if i manage my time well i shouldnt have too many issues.

Yeah bro, my parents told me the same thing and I didn't believe them but they knew what they were talking about. So just try your best. Since you are a freshman it won't be too bad the classes are pretty easy

himynameisNIKE
02-01-2012, 06:14 PM
the coach liked the video, i guess hes into slow strokes and footwork :)

pvaudio
02-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Shoot for D3 or D2. You have footwork, but it isn't grooved like a good college player's would be. You also have great consistency with respect to the ball going over the net, but not with your stroke. You take your forehand very late, and the one thing you'll find if you play against a college player or open level player is that they take the ball ridiculously early. You're hitting your forehand inside your body when you need it out in front. In other words, you're losing a large amount of power and spin which you have the potential for. Backhand side looks much better, but as said, you need more legs to get the power you're wanting. If you can increase your RHS, you won't have to pass the net player with such a dangerous trajectory like you tend to do.

pvaudio
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM
Actually, a better question is this: which is more important to you: the tennis, or the academics? It sounds simple, but it's really a fairly loaded question. Take UCLA for example. Their tennis program is astounding, and their academics are just as astounding. Then take a school like Ohio State. Their tennis program is also astounding, but they aren't known for their academics as much as their athletics. Then, take a school like Columbia which is D2. They are known for academics first and foremost, but still have a D2 tennis program. The reason I ask is because if you go to a school just to play tennis in college, you end up losing a more valuable education if you went to even a state school which focuses on academics (say, Michigan - Ann Arbor for example). In my example, they happen to have a good athletic reputation, but an engineering degree from Ann Arbor is extremely valuable in comparison.

pvaudio
02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Oh, and make no mistake. I'm not saying Ohio State has a less than excellent academic reputation. That's an asinine assertion.

Nellie
02-02-2012, 03:26 PM
I would think about editing out that approach shot at 5:00 ;)

MLB_MOB
02-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Shoot for D3 or D2. You have footwork, but it isn't grooved like a good college player's would be. You also have great consistency with respect to the ball going over the net, but not with your stroke. You take your forehand very late, and the one thing you'll find if you play against a college player or open level player is that they take the ball ridiculously early. You're hitting your forehand inside your body when you need it out in front. In other words, you're losing a large amount of power and spin which you have the potential for. Backhand side looks much better, but as said, you need more legs to get the power you're wanting. If you can increase your RHS, you won't have to pass the net player with such a dangerous trajectory like you tend to do.

he got a scholarship to U of Hawaii, you should read the entire thread

Rob_C
02-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Where in the thread did it say he got the scholarship?? He said that was his goal, not that it happened.

himynameisNIKE
02-02-2012, 06:38 PM
I would think about editing out that approach shot at 5:00 ;)

haha it just shows my improv skills at the net :)

haha no i did not but that is the goal

Where in the thread did it say he got the scholarship?? He said that was his goal, not that it happened.
No scholarship yet but the coach seems interested, cant wait to take a visit there :)

cork_screw
02-02-2012, 06:39 PM
You know how you wouldn't post a vid of you losing your virginity because your love making skills probably suck. Well, you should apply the same principle to your tennis videos. I don't know where we lost the part where we felt embarassed or shame when we felt like what we didn't wasn't good enough to be worth showing. I miss those good ol' days.

NJ1
02-02-2012, 06:40 PM
You know how you wouldn't post a vid of you losing your virginity because your love making skills probably suck. Well, you should apply the same principle to your tennis videos. I don't know where we lost the part where we felt embarassed or shame when we felt like what we didn't wasn't good enough to be worth showing. I miss those good ol' days.

That seems harsh. He may lack power but looks decent enough overall and is still working on his game. Just my .02s worth.

himynameisnike- keep working hard on your game and keep us updated bud. G luck.

himynameisNIKE
02-02-2012, 06:49 PM
That seems harsh. He may lack power but looks decent enough overall and is still working on his game. Just my .02s worth.

himynameisnike- keep working hard on your game and keep us updated bud. G luck.

ahah lack power? id like to see your guys warm up going 100% for your first couple rallies. seriously. it was a warm up. the set starts at 4:20 id like to see any of you guys crack a return like i did at 5:50. anywho, thanks for support ill let you guys know how it goes.

pvaudio
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
You know how you wouldn't post a vid of you losing your virginity because your love making skills probably suck. Well, you should apply the same principle to your tennis videos. I don't know where we lost the part where we felt embarassed or shame when we felt like what we didn't wasn't good enough to be worth showing. I miss those good ol' days.NJ1, this isn't harsh; it's absolutely absurd. I post videos of myself all of the time. Not to show off, but to see if I can get second opinions on things. If the OP said that he's playing at a D1 school and this was his recruiting video, then it would be different. He's just showing how he hits. Nothing wrong there. It's always interesting to see how fellow TTWers play.

arche3
02-03-2012, 05:01 AM
idk looks a lot better than this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFgWwCzUeQk&feature=channel_video_title with a lot of people saying this is 4.5. He has a very Bradley Khlan forehand

lol yeah I agree. OP looks at first glance to be a very solid player.
(The video in this ref of a 4.5 is not as solid imo. )

MarinaHighTennis
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
lol yeah I agree. OP looks at first glance to be a very solid player.
(The video in this ref of a 4.5 is not as solid imo. )
I have a feeling OP would win quite comfortably :)

LeeD
02-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Agree.
OP wins. 5.0.
Jamison 4.5.
Skinny opponent 4.0

MarinaHighTennis
02-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Agree.
OP wins. 5.0.
Jamison 4.5.
Skinny opponent 4.0
Perhaps... you should probably check the score

himynameisNIKE
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM
So the hawaii coach was in town a couple weeks ago for a tournament and i got the visit there. I also have a visit next week to Montana State University Billings. I can get a better scholarship at Montana, so as much as id love to go to Hawaii, Montana seems like a better option