PDA

View Full Version : Identity Crisis, need help from non-brand biased TW racquet experts

Ballistec_J
01-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Dear TW,

I am reaching out for the first time and admitting i need some help. I have been a Lefty, claycourting, full western 2hbh, open stance, heavy topspinning lefty for the last few years. At the beginning of the month i moved away to college where the indoor surface plays like a basketball court. To adjust to the surface, i have switched to a semi western grip and am starting to remember what it feels like to plow through the ball and not just brush up the back of it.

Current setup:
Donnay X-P Tour 102
Volkl leather grip, +10g donnay cap weight, slide weights at 3:00 & 9:00. (Roughly around 11.9oz u unstrung total.)
Swingweight - 325

Previous preferred string setup:
Very stiff poly main (3D spin, tour bite, twisted razor)
Soft Cross (Premier LT, Premier Attack, TNT, Sensation, PSG Multi, Thunder Blast)
Tension - indoors 56, outdoors 53

Current Preferred setup:
Donnay X-Co-Poly 17 full bed @62lb.
For those of you not familiar with xcopoly, its a star shaped poly that stretches very thin while stringing. Holds tension well because it breaks fast.

Here is my dilemma:
-I just cant for the life of me keep the ball in play with my racquet anymore.

Racquets im considering:
Black Racquet 98T (Gamma RZR 98T)
Aero Storm Tour
Aero Storm Tour GT
Pure Storm Tour
Pure Storm Tour+

I have played with extended length racquets before and am going to need something probably about 10g lighter than my current setup but with a heavier swingweight. I have tried tinkering with lead tape but on the donnay racquet it takes away way too much feel. I have demos coming soon. Any other suggestions? I prefer 16 mains and will not play with head (too much feedback, not enough stability, personal bias).

Thanks in advance!

Anton
01-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Here is my dilemma:

why not?

The balls go long too often?

suppawat
01-26-2012, 07:42 AM
I am not sure what you mean by cannot keep the ball in play. You get too much power or too little power, or lose directional control? But let's see if this helps. To get higher swing weight and lower static weight, try removing +10g butt cap and move slide weights up from 9/3 to 10/12. You might want to adjust string for preferred control/power/spin as well. I recently tried different hybrid set-ups to see which one has the best combo of power and control. And here is my finding.

Weisscannon Silver String 17 and Donnay X-Syncore 17 at 52 lbs on Donnay X-Blue 94 and 99: classic feel & touch, medium power, good for flat hitting.
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1psvYexu7fAi972ybqNy-snZLvJ3lgn5rzHkTav_tqVfivjDGaGbFiWr9dDP3vheQPGaepd 9N0PoJYU3i9906TSA/Weisscannon_SilverString_Donnay_X-Syncore_Donnay_X-Blue_94.JPG

Weisscannon SilverString 17 and Weisscannon Turbo Twist 17 at 52 lbs on Donnay X-Red 99: responsive stringbed, soft & a little springy ball feel (higher tensions should solve the problem), great power, good spin.
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pDR9pMjGTd3AJmcXv6IlkYDwVvi3j_CdPFCthteGZRyb2fKD KkSW2tFg_vpt_77exoQNDHQXeDbVkl4LYsXnfEQ/Weisscannon_SilverString_TurboTwist_Donnay_X-Red_99.JPG

Solinco Tour Bite 16L and Solinco Barb Wire 17 at 52 lbs on Donnay X-Dual Siver 99 and Pro One: decent control on powerful frames, ball stays on stringed longest, good power and spin. I think I've found the right set-up now.
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1psvYexu7fAi8dQ1i-VB64u_XTsDm6Xaliw1jLk_1Fza1e45XWtZ11JVfbVxYeyzSl0t OfNHNKWXhLxrEyj5U43w/Solinco_Tour_Bite_16L_Barb_Wire_17_Donnay_X-Dual_Silver.JPG
https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1paegNgbBmJYZ7lkpq1yG9N_qquI8a2JdexYSqpQ45kLwt2Om ZE2G2iby-B7uXUWddlqNdr8brRyrCe1MjwE7vcQ/Solinco_Tour_Bite_16L_Barb_Wire_17_Donnay_Pro_One. JPG

ZeroSkid
01-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Dear TW,

I am reaching out for the first time and admitting i need some help. I have been a Lefty, claycourting, full western 2hbh, open stance, heavy topspinning lefty for the last few years. At the beginning of the month i moved away to college where the indoor surface plays like a basketball court. To adjust to the surface, i have switched to a semi western grip and am starting to remember what it feels like to plow through the ball and not just brush up the back of it.

Current setup:
Donnay X-P Tour 102
Volkl leather grip, +10g donnay cap weight, slide weights at 3:00 & 9:00. (Roughly around 11.9oz u unstrung total.)
Swingweight - 325

Previous preferred string setup:
Very stiff poly main (3D spin, tour bite, twisted razor)
Soft Cross (Premier LT, Premier Attack, TNT, Sensation, PSG Multi, Thunder Blast)
Tension - indoors 56, outdoors 53

Current Preferred setup:
Donnay X-Co-Poly 17 full bed @62lb.
For those of you not familiar with xcopoly, its a star shaped poly that stretches very thin while stringing. Holds tension well because it breaks fast.

Here is my dilemma:

Racquets im considering:
Black Racquet 98T (Gamma RZR 98T)
Aero Storm Tour
Aero Storm Tour GT
Pure Storm Tour
Pure Storm Tour+

I have played with extended length racquets before and am going to need something probably about 10g lighter than my current setup but with a heavier swingweight. I have tried tinkering with lead tape but on the donnay racquet it takes away way too much feel. I have demos coming soon. Any other suggestions? I prefer 16 mains and will not play with head (too much feedback, not enough stability, personal bias).

Thanks in advance!

Well I would stay away from Donnay , I use to own a Dual core, serious lack of feel and stability, they also lack power, not sure how the X-P Dual cores are. I recommend the Head prestige mp, has good amount of power, very stable, and unmatched feel

Ballistec_J
01-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Having trouble overhitting. I wont use head racquets or dense patterns, they just dont work for me. I have hit quite a few racquets on the market as i used to work retail.

ZeroSkid
01-26-2012, 08:35 AM
Having trouble overhitting. I wont use head racquets or dense patterns, they just dont work for me. I have hit quite a few racquets on the market as i used to work retail.

My next suggestion would be a Vantage 95 then

ollinger
01-26-2012, 08:43 AM
I had no trouble keeping the ball in play with the Tour 102. I think adding the slide weights and 10 grams on the butt is a mistake, probably reduces swing speed and ability to spin the ball adequately. Lose the slide weights and use the 5 gram (or standard) butt cap.

suppawat
01-26-2012, 08:45 AM

I see, but when you increase swing weight you probably end up with even more powerful racquet. Let's try fixing the problem one by one.

Swing Weight: Try different weight customization (slide weights and weighted butt caps) until you find the right balance that matches your swing timing. Then stick with this racquet set up and start tweaking string set-up next.

Power/Spin/Control: I just noticed that you are using Donnay X-Co-Poly 17 full bed @62lb. The tension can be too high. Most poly works well if strung lower than 52 lb. Going 62lb can exceed the string tension limit. When poly is strung beyond the yield point, it will play very soft (because it's about to break), respond inconsistently due to loss in elasticity, and break so easily. So I'd suggest lower tension first. If it still has too much power, try different strings. Lowest-powered poly I've tried is Donnay X-Poly (silver one). I had to give all I have to get the ball cross the net. Another nice spin/control-oriented poly is Solinco Barb Wire.

https://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pYoVAtWmhBrzlTrK1ruM1HkzkPhwYSkA2FKKBhnfua4IFHY4 050uKdZO6C5tnmX-7SL-xiqgPoK5ScF3UsEA6gA/Solinco_Barb_Wire_Donnay_JHT_027.JPG

Anton
01-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Power/Spin/Control: I just noticed that you are using Donnay X-Co-Poly 17 full bed @62lb. The tension can be too high. Most poly works well if strung lower than 52 lb. Going 62lb can exceed the string tension limit. When poly is strung beyond the yield point, it will play very soft

string playing very soft because tension is too high? Zees nevar hepen :confused:

Anyway, it's tough to make good advice here other then get some demos. Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT sounds like a ok place to start, Donnay Pro One 16x19 MP is not bad too

Oh almost forgot, definitely demo Prince EXO3 Tour 100 18x20 (string at mid 50's with 17g) with some lead on it - I think you'll really like this one, you get tons of control to keep the ball in but a lot of spin/loop as well.

Kevo
01-26-2012, 12:22 PM

I also don't like head racquets that much mainly because of the grip shape. They hit reasonably well though, and I think the prestige is typically quite good. As for dense patterns, I used to be biased against them as well, but now I'm hooked. Love the control and the spin is also good with them if they don't swing too heavy. Love my Pure Storm Limiteds. I doubt I'll go back to an open pattern frame.

Anton
01-26-2012, 12:30 PM
I also don't like head racquets that much mainly because of the grip shape.

Speed and IG Instincts use new grip shape which is more square/round - love it.

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
You might want to try teh Prince EXO Tour 100 16 x 18 (he said he didn't like dense string patterns)

Anton
01-26-2012, 01:52 PM
You might want to try teh Prince EXO Tour 100 16 x 18 (he said he didn't like dense string patterns)

But he also said he wants more control...so I think it's worth a try anyway

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Time for RDiS 200 or Xi 98.