PDA

View Full Version : Donnay X-P Dual Black tension?

YzPlayr
01-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Broke a string in one of my racquets, so I borrowed my buddy's brand new Donnay as a spare for last Saturday's matches. Played the first set of singles with mine (getting broken late to lose 4-6), then switched to the X-P Dual Black and was amazed. Up 5-2 in the 2nd and serving with much more authority, defending much more successfully and hitting heavy groundstrokes before we ran out of court time. Ended up playing dubs with it as well, much to the chagrin of our opponents.

Played very successfully with the old Babolat APDC before switching to an extremely light racquet (Head Youtek Speed Lite) last May. That experiment has come to an end after having to work far too hard to win service games and struggling to keep groundstrokes deep enough to not allow opponent to step in and crush one.

Did an informal playtest with my Speed Lite, the IG Speed Lite, Babolat APDGT Lite, Babolat APDC and the X-P Dual during a practice match the other night. The SL is fast around, but just can't hurt my opponent enough, especially on the serve. The IGSL is a little bit better, but more of the same - requires too much work and too many things to go right to be successful. The Babolat Lite is just rubbish - feels like a cheap knockoff with absolutely no soul. The trusty APDC is good, and probably what I'll play with until I decide on a replacement, but it can't do the things that the Donnay can and the similarities they share - the Donnay does them all better.

Realized I needed to finally surrender Jason's Donnay, so I ordered a demo of the X-P Dual Black and a Head Youtek IG Instinct. So, a couple of questions for everyone: 1) Has anyone here done extensive playtesting with these two sticks, 2) If so, thoughts/impressions, 3) Anyone who owns either of these - what string setup/tension are you using? I use Topspin CyberBlue 17L mains and Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17 crosses (59lbs in APDC and 50lbs in Speed Lite).

Thanks for your input!

Ballistec_J
01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Soft polys work great in these X-P racquets, prince poly exp is absolutely epic. Isospeed baseline control works great too! Tension of 48 works very well if you hit a lot of spin, if you hit flatter i suggest more like 55-57ish. Personally i dont use this in my x-p racquets but i know many people who bought them who use this setup and love it.