PDA

View Full Version : I get bored of winning

jdubbs
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Anybody else like me?

I don't really understand sandbagging. Why is it fun to beat inferior opponents? I like playing guys at least at my level, if not better than me.
I don't mind losing to someone who plays great tennis.

The only time I mind losing is when I miss really easy shots against a pusher/counterpuncher, or if I double fault a lot.

I guess I'm in the camp of always wanting to improve, which means a lot of losing until you get better.

My best tennis recently came against a match against an Open player I've played a couple of sets, losing 6-0 each time. I got one game off him this time, and played extremely well, all my serving games went to deuce. We had to stop at 4-1 because of time constraints. I felt better about that than I did about a lot of wins.

mikeler
01-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Pretty much sums up my thinking too. Good post.

jht32
01-26-2012, 11:29 AM
"Almost nothing worthwhile is easy."

Sure, constantly winning against inferior opponents is boring. But winning in general is not boring to me. If I am working hard on the courts and have a 10-0 record against evenly matched opponents (or slightly weaker than I am), I wouldn't get bored, as long as the matches are somewhat challenging.

I wouldn't like to lose 0 and 0 to someone clearly superior to me either. Not just because I lost, but because I would have liked to give the opponent a good match too.

Kurte954
01-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I might get accused of sandbagging this season in a local flex league, but I was getting killed at the next level. I dropped down to attempt salvaging some self esteem and self belief. However, I've played 2 matches so far, which I won, but not without dropping a set in each... that said, maybe I'm where I belong.

mucat
01-26-2012, 11:40 AM
I will up your "get bored of winning" with "I totally forget about what winning feels like".

mikeler
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM

Sure, constantly winning against inferior opponents is boring. But winning in general is not boring to me. If I am working hard on the courts and have a 10-0 record against evenly matched opponents (or slightly weaker than I am), I wouldn't get bored, as long as the matches are somewhat challenging.

I wouldn't like to lose 0 and 0 to someone clearly superior to me either. Not just because I lost, but because I would have liked to give the opponent a good match too.

Winning against evenly matched opponents or a slightly better opponent is fun.

I might get accused of sandbagging this season in a local flex league, but I was getting killed at the next level. I dropped down to attempt salvaging some self esteem and self belief. However, I've played 2 matches so far, which I won, but not without dropping a set in each... that said, maybe I'm where I belong.

If you are going 3 sets in your first 2 matches, it definitely sounds like you are playing at the correct level.

Netspirit
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Sandbagging allows you to hit your favorite trick shots you normally cannot afford. It also gives you an extra split second that makes you miss less, hit harder and feel like a better player.

beernutz
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
People sandbag because they want to win. People cheat because they want to win. Doesn't seem all that complex to me.

rkelley
01-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Anybody else like me?

I don't really understand sandbagging. Why is it fun to beat inferior opponents? I like playing guys at least at my level, if not better than me.

The only time I mind losing is when I miss really easy shots against a pusher/counterpuncher, or if I double fault a lot.

I guess I'm in the camp of always wanting to improve, which means a lot of losing until you get better.

My best tennis recently came against a match against an Open player I've played a couple of sets, losing 6-0 each time. I got one game off him this time, and played extremely well, all my serving games went to deuce. We had to stop at 4-1 because of time constraints. I felt better about that than I did about a lot of wins.

Totally agree. I really don't care that much about winning. I want to hit well - feel the good form, hear the crack of the ball. If I frame a few so what.

However . . .

I did go out with a buddy who is better than me and is been serving as a bench mark for me for the last year or so. Late last year I felt like I was really seeing some consistent progress, hitting more consistently at the crazy pace that he dishes out and coming away with my share of won rallies. But the last two times we've hit he has just beat me down like a dog. He hits with just so freakin' much pace and hasn't been missing much. Still I'm seeing the ball and prepping, but my timing is just a bit off and I'm sailing too many forehands a foot or two long and framing way too many backhands (in both cases I'm swinging too early).

I'm probably remembering it worse than it was, but right now I could use a bit of "beat on someone not quite as good as me" time to get some confidence back and to regroove my strokes a bit.

Up&comer
01-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Winning against evenly matched opponents or a slightly better opponent is fun.

I concur.
10 Australian opens

matrix
01-26-2012, 01:19 PM
I dont think I will ever get bored of winning. I get bored practicing with inferior opponents, but in a tournament or league match I will always take a win over a loss. Some wins are more sweet than others of course.

NE1for10is?
01-26-2012, 04:03 PM
I think It's always good to play with people above, below and equal to your own skill level. You learn different things from each. But to constantly play only above your level and never win, or only below your level and never lose isn't healthy.

TheBoom
01-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Definitely agree. It helps get reps and practice stuff but it gets boring like you said. I think when you play upper level players even when you lose you tend to gain confidence because you think hey i did this or that well and you gain confidence in those things and it exposes weaknesses much better than lesser players do. Agree 100% with you

LeeD
01-26-2012, 05:35 PM
I must agree with JDubbs because my past is littered with times I seeked better playing partners rather than stay near my own level.
After my second ever tournament, I went directly to A/Open in a big draw area, to up the ante and make the game interesting.

tenapasi
01-26-2012, 05:47 PM
True.
But, if you play double and you need to cover your partner (very) lack of skills against a pair of good players, then you win.
Priceless.

LeeD
01-26-2012, 05:50 PM
I honestly don't understand the previous post.
I usually get the weakest of the foursome. I never win. I might win the set or match, but in the long run, I'm playing against two inferior players, so I consider that tennis, but a waste of time.
I'd much rather face the best player, try to beat him, usually don't, but I WIN because I"m trying against the best opposition availible to me.

Mick
01-26-2012, 09:23 PM
that's why some players would change their style and "push" when playing against lower level opponents. they would still beat them but at least the match would appear to be competitive. but then the losers would then post on talk tennis forum they just lost to some pushers again :)

jht32
01-27-2012, 06:52 AM
I think It's always good to play with people above, below and equal to your own skill level. You learn different things from each. But to constantly play only above your level and never win, or only below your level and never lose isn't healthy.

Completely agree.

I would also add that playing different opponents my level, slightly below, or slightly above is the best arrangement for me. Playing someone way above your level once in a while is okay, but on a consistent basis is really not best for your game. When you play someone so much better, you have nothing to lose. You hit without abandon. You are not expected to win. Tennis is also about handling the pressure to win when you are "expected to win" too.

r2473
01-27-2012, 07:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n3p6KSVcN8&feature=related

"Oh sh*t! That's just too easy!"

"No no no, that sh*t is TOO easy!"

"It's TOO easy!"

"No no, that sh*t is.........Too easy!"

"F*ck it. I don't even wanna play anymore"

pushing_wins
01-27-2012, 12:32 PM

i prefer easy and worthwhile

86golf
01-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Completely agree.

I would also add that playing different opponents my level, slightly below, or slightly above is the best arrangement for me. Playing someone way above your level once in a while is okay, but on a consistent basis is really not best for your game. When you play someone so much better, you have nothing to lose. You hit without abandon. You are not expected to win. Tennis is also about handling the pressure to win when you are "expected to win" too.
Agree 100%
There is something to be said of winning matches that you are suppose to win. Playing down a level slightly can often help more than playing up a level. Most people don't want to play down bc all the pressure is on them to perform as expected. Playing up has no pressure or expectations.

eric draven
02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Anybody else like me?

Totally agree. I love a close match with someone who is the same level or better.

user92626
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Totally agree. I love a close match with someone who is the same level or better.

At city courts there's no way to know anyone's level. Everyone thinks either they are very good or somehow strategically avoid playing. No one accepts he sucks or they can readily come up with excuses.

ace_pace
02-05-2012, 02:43 AM
I get bored of losing to little kids that I'm forced to play with in competition. Im not going to say that I'm neccessarily better than them its just that its sometimes unfair because I just cant play as serious with them and then they start beating the sh*t outta me, I feel sick.