PDA

View Full Version : Amplifeel Photo

seekay
01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
So I got my BLX Pro Staff Six.One 90's today. One of them had a poorly wrapped grip, so I set out to fix it and found the "amplifeel" hiding underneath. I don't think I've seen any photos of the system here, so I figured I'd share:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ckuehn/tennis/amplifeel.jpg

It looks like six total slabs of the same carbon they use to make the frame. I haven't yet had a chance to hit with the new model, so I can't say how well it works.

retrograde
01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
^^^

Can't see your posted photo, and a username/password prompt to access your school's server comes up.

seekay
01-26-2012, 12:12 PM
^^^

Can't see your posted photo, and a username/password prompt to access your school's server comes up.

Whoops, I've fixed the permissions. Thanks for pointing it out.

retrograde
01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks. Those look like staples securing the carbon inserts into the handle?

Torres
01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Interesting.......

I'm assuming those carbon/graphite inserts go all the way through the pallet to the handle?

seekay
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
They're glued into place. The small lighter-colored bars are an integral part of the carbon, and they repeat down the handle (which the photo doesn't show). It reminds me of the pattern on Babolat's GT racquets:

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_big/BPSLGT-5.JPG

seekay
01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Interesting.......

I'm assuming those carbon/graphite inserts go all the way through the pallet to the handle?

It looks like they're only about a millimeter or two thick, laying in relatively shallow channels molded into the pallet.

Captain Tezuka
01-26-2012, 05:14 PM
So I got my BLX Pro Staff Six.One 90's today. One of them had a poorly wrapped grip, so I set out to fix it and found the "amplifeel" hiding underneath. I don't think I've seen any photos of the system here, so I figured I'd share:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ckuehn/tennis/amplifeel.jpg

It looks like six total slabs of the same carbon they use to make the frame. I haven't yet had a chance to hit with the new model, so I can't say how well it works.

Wow so cool so that's how the system works. Slabs of carbon that probably connects to the frame to give ELEMENTAL FEEL! Nice Btw is Wilson quality control problem the reason why your grip was poorly wrapped? Also didn't the store you got it from notice? I mean a poorly wrapped gipe is kind of easy to notice as there should be a distinct overlap of the grip I think it's every 1/16th you overlap or something there's a oage on TW about that.

-Tezuka

Captain Tezuka
01-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Presumably the system should also be in the Juice line from Wilson as well then.

-Tezuka

Thepowerofchoice
01-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Wow so cool so that's how the system works. Slabs of carbon that probably connects to the frame to give ELEMENTAL FEEL! Nice Btw is Wilson quality control problem the reason why your grip was poorly wrapped? Also didn't the store you got it from notice? I mean a poorly wrapped gipe is kind of easy to notice as there should be a distinct overlap of the grip I think it's every 1/16th you overlap or something there's a oage on TW about that.

-Tezuka

Just got my BLX PS 90 from the local store and the leather grip also poorly wrapped too. I guess it could be worse with Wilson...

PBODY99
01-26-2012, 09:57 PM
No, it is just the AMPLFEEL trying to escape, that is why the grip looks poorly wrapped:)

Torres
01-27-2012, 01:11 AM
It looks like they're only about a millimeter or two thick, laying in relatively shallow channels molded into the pallet.

I don't think its possible to tell from those photos how thick they are or how deep they go.

Anyone fancy breaking apart a pallet for us? :)

scotus
01-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Does Amplifeel = more vibration?

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2012, 01:37 AM
Does Amplifeel = more vibration?

No it enhances the feedback you receive from the racquet due to the Basalt fibers being connected with the rest of the racquet extending to the handle. BLX technology give you better feel due to it warding out unwanted frequencies i.e. vibrations to give you elemental feel.

-Tezuka

Automatix
01-27-2012, 01:43 AM
No it enhances the feedback you receive from the racquet due to the Basalt fibers being connected with the rest of the racquet extending to the handle. BLX technology give you better feel due to it warding out unwanted frequencies i.e. vibrations to give you elemental feel. That's the marketing claim.

After seeing the pics I doubt it.

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2012, 04:34 AM
That's the marketing claim.

After seeing the pics I doubt it.

Lol well yeah but from the PS90BLX's I've swung while in sporting stores it seems ok butofc I need to have a match with someone. :)

-Tezuka

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
I don't think its possible to tell from those photos how thick they are or how deep they go.

LOL! Um well anyone got contacts at Wilson so we can uh have a cross section sent in for analysis? :p :)

-Tezuka

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2012, 04:36 AM
Just got my BLX PS 90 from the local store and the leather grip also poorly wrapped too. I guess it could be worse with Wilson...

Hm I see well then QC is really letting Wilson down this year. :confused:

-Tezuka

Chyeaah
01-27-2012, 04:37 AM
LOL! Um well anyone got contacts at Wilson so we can uh have a cross section sent in for analysis? :p :)

-Tezuka

Lol. Why you up so late Tezuka.

You need to be good to use 90 sq in frames. Good hand eye co-ordination and really strong incase something goes wrong and you need to move the racquet in a flash.

If you have a two handed backhand don't use mid frames, mid plus frames are way better on 2HBH

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2012, 04:38 AM
No, it is just the AMPLFEEL trying to escape, that is why the grip looks poorly wrapped:)

Haha that's funny the AMPLIFEEL trying to escape its' not alive at least not in that sense. Hm maybe it really is trying to merge with your hand to directly connect you with the racquet! :twisted:

-Tezuka

trilix
01-27-2012, 05:40 AM
If you have a two handed backhand don't use mid frames, mid plus frames are way better on 2HBH

Not really. I have a 1hb, but when I have to retrieve a fast ball into the corner, I sometimes use a 2hb in a reflex... with success. Oh and I use 85"

Like everything, it depends on what works best for you...

grtz

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Lol. Why you up so late Tezuka.

You need to be good to use 90 sq in frames. Good hand eye co-ordination and really strong incase something goes wrong and you need to move the racquet in a flash.

Well only one question Why are YOU up so late?

-Tezuka

Chyeaah
01-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Allnighter last days of hols.

And @ the person 2 above me.

I never said you can't 2HBH with a mid frame i just said its better with a mid plus

hoodjem
01-27-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks. Those look like staples securing the carbon inserts into the handle?

No, those are precision-machined, tuning-fork, attachor-links made of the finest high-carbon steel.

Very high tech for Wilson!

seekay
01-27-2012, 07:30 AM

It's not possible to tell from the photo, but when I was taking that photo, I got a pretty good look. Seeing in person makes it pretty clear that the aplifeel strips are relatively thin and there's plenty of pallet foam separating them from the frame.

PeterFig
01-27-2012, 07:42 AM
It's not possible to tell from the photo, but when I was taking that photo, I got a pretty good look. Seeing in person makes it pretty clear that the aplifeel strips are relatively thin and there's plenty of pallet foam separating them from the frame.

Yup, I'll second that observation. They are maybe 1mm thin - kinda like a stick of Juicy Fruit gum :) They are recessed into the foam but with plenty of foam left underneath. They are recessed 'almost' flush. They do stick up a tiny tiny bit but not enough to notice once the grip is on.

Thepowerofchoice
01-27-2012, 07:53 AM
Hm I see well then QC is really letting Wilson down this year. :confused:

-Tezuka

I weigh 6 BLXPS 90 and they are anywhere from 336-344 grams 9-15 pts HL(unstrung)

***Original specs from Wilson (unstrung):339 grams 12 pts HL.

Captain Tezuka
01-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I weigh 6 BLXPS 90 and they are anywhere from 336-344 grams 9-15 pts HL(unstrung)

***Original specs from Wilson (unstrung):339 grams 12 pts HL.

Well ofc that would happen. Also have you heard about the QC of Wilson. Most people agree that if you purchase Wilson racquets something about their QC will not statisfy you. In this case it's the weight and balance that are all over the place. Knowing Wilson there should be an expectation of at least 10g difference in weight and idk about the balance but presumably difference in wieght would affect the balance ever so slightly.

-Tezuka

Funbun
01-27-2012, 07:35 PM
How do you guys deal with the shorter grip pallet? I realized that I might not be able to have a comfortable 2HBH on this racquet. Unless you guys just wrap a replacement grip higher up?

crism54
03-02-2012, 04:55 AM
also the pro staff 95 has this "tools"? I have seen that the juice pro 96 don't have that.

Hominator
03-02-2012, 06:10 AM
How do you guys deal with the shorter grip pallet? I realized that I might not be able to have a comfortable 2HBH on this racquet. Unless you guys just wrap a replacement grip higher up?

I'd recommend just wrapping the grip up higher - that's what I do with all my racquets.

That said, I know I should keep my hands closer together, so maybe I'm just enabling my bad habits :)