PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when your shoes are worn out?

Maui19
01-26-2012, 04:42 PM
I have three pairs that I rotate, and all are pretty much in the same shape. I play/practice 3/5 times a week and the shoes are about a year and a half old.

I am wondering how you know when your shoes are shot when you play on clay all the time. The soles are still fine, but I've got some internal wear through in a spot or two. They are still supportive, but I suspect they don't offer as much cushioning as I would like.

How do clay court players know when their shoes are shot?

westpac690
01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't think it matters much the type of surface as much as knowing when your shoes are shot.
I take the running shoe approach to my tennis shoes. With running, you should rotate at least two pairs. Once pair A reaches about 150 miles you add shoe B into the rotation. A pair of running shoes should last anywhere from 300 to 500 miles. If you start feeling more fatigued, or feeling places hurting that normally don't, when you're in pair A, and when you are in pair B everything is fine, it's time to get rid of pair A. Without the rotation you won't notice the fatiguing while running. You just get used to it.
So I do the same with tennis shoes. I play in pair A for month or so with 2-3 matches a week. Then I add pair B. When I start to get more fatigued come the end of the second set with pair A, I toss them out.

jtrain_36
01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Shoes get worn out at various rates for different people. If the shoe still feels like its performing up to your expectation and you don't feel like you're sliding around too much or that the shoes might hurt you in any way by all means keep wearing those shoes.

lim
01-27-2012, 08:04 PM
I keep them until I can't crank down the laces enough to keep my foot nice and snug when transitioning on the court. If they have too much give when changing positions, it;s usually a sign the uppers are at the end of their life.

Maui19
01-28-2012, 02:48 AM
I keep them until I can't crank down the laces enough to keep my foot nice and snug when transitioning on the court. If they have too much give when changing positions, it;s usually a sign the uppers are at the end of their life.

That is interesting. I have noticed that a couple pairs now seem a little big in the forefoot and I can't quite get the laces snugged down enough. I was also having some trouble with my footing the other day with one of the pairs that seems a little wide in the forefoot.

I have ordered a new pair of shoes from TW and will take the suspect pair out of the rotation when the new ones arrive.

Thanks for all the tips folks--they are all helpful. :)

Maui19
01-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Okay, I have a "bad" pair of shoes. My Asics Resolutions are just completely gone. These made my heel hurt when I got them (which I fixed with new insoles), and now they are making my heel hurt again. I have zero traction on court with them, and my feet feel tiny inside them. So I guess I am answering my own question :)