PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the KPS 88

Disgruntled Worker
01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
The K Pro Staff. I cannot believe how much plow-through this thing has. I know I've ripped mid size racquets in the past, but I'll be damned if the hitting session I just had didn't feel incredible. I use a PHT/Xcel hybrid and it works magnificently, especially after it's been broken in. What I love about it most is that it works more effectively the harder and heavier your opponent's groundstrokes are. Hitting on the rise, touch shots, and, for me, absolutely unloading on forehand returns - that is what this racquet was made for!

dsa202
01-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Yeah, unloading your 3.5 forehand.

JoelDali
01-27-2012, 07:46 AM
^ LOL

As I was playing last night I was thinking the same things, I had 3 month old WC SS in my Bruno 88 and it still felt fuchen marvelous.

Will never switch.

Disgruntled Worker
01-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah, unloading your 3.5 forehand.

My 3.5 forehand would destroy your 2.5 backhand

Funbun
01-27-2012, 07:23 PM
For me, the swingweight is a tad low. It felt awkward to whip any groundstroke with this racquet. If I probably added some lead to the tip, it'll probably play much better.

However, this thing is an absolute beast on serves and volleys.

leonidas1982
01-28-2012, 12:15 AM
It's a shame the racket has been discontinued; I had thought they would relaunch the frame with some minor changes to the specs (bring the weight down from 12.8oz to 12.5 and maybe 4pts HL).

Disgruntled Worker
01-28-2012, 07:55 AM
It's no surprise Wilson stopped making it. The racquet doesn't appeal to the average consumer because it forces a person to really be in top physical form. I'm a big guy and I lift weights regularly. But for someone just looking to mess around, there are easier, more accesible options out there. That being said, using this racquet in the hot sun on hard courts is a daunting task regardless of how strong you are.

roundiesee
01-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I think if you physically strong, the racket might suit you. Or if you are are quite highly rated on the ntrp. But the racket is particularly difficult for the average Joe with average strokes, and especially in doubles where quick exchanges are often the rule. In singles it might be a very good weapon to have. I have found that if my game is off, I have almost no hope of winning in doubles and usually will have to resort to a lighter, quicker racket :(

JoelDali
01-29-2012, 05:00 AM
3hr Open tourney match last night, lost in 3 on clay. I can't do a pull up but I can play with 88 just fine. I can't believe I lost to that Babolat pusher jackass. Argh what a tule.

People that say you need to be some kind of muscle boy are misguided.

The new BLX Blade 98 tore my arm after 20 minutes of demoing once. There are much worse raquets for the human body than the 88.

thug the bunny
01-30-2012, 08:04 AM
It's wierd how some say it's a perfect doubles weapon, and others say it's not for dubs. Some say you have to be superman to wield it, and others say a junior girl can use it. I think this illustrates how many subtle differences there are in how a racket can be used.

I personally think the heft is not an issue as far as fatigue or mobility.

If you accelerate this monster smoothly towards the ball, at some point you just kind of shut off the effort and hang on to it and the tremendous momentum does the work. This kind of hitting does not put that much wear and tear on the body.

On the other hand, if you need a quick response like a volley or fast incoming ball, you set a firm wrist and do a punch or block back. The mass of the stick will keep it from getting pushed and the ball will go.

asifallasleep
01-30-2012, 08:07 AM
The K Pro Staff. I cannot believe how much plow-through this thing has. I know I've ripped mid size racquets in the past, but I'll be damned if the hitting session I just had didn't feel incredible. I use a PHT/Xcel hybrid and it works magnificently, especially after it's been broken in. What I love about it most is that it works more effectively the harder and heavier your opponent's groundstrokes are. Hitting on the rise, touch shots, and, for me, absolutely unloading on forehand returns - that is what this racquet was made for!

I've gone back and forth between the PS88 and my K90's. I've only recently realised that the best way at least for me to hit with the PS88 is hugging the baseline and hitting everything on the rise. With such a heavy and stable frame, combined with a short compact stroke, meeting the ball on the rise, you can rip the ball back without even exerting much energy. It really does lend itself to old school tennis. Weight transfer, contact out in front, let the racquet do the work.

I find it hilarious that people who can't use these frames assume that people who can are 4.0 and below players. I sometimes hit with a pro out here in Socal and he's a 5.5 guy. Loves the PS88 and would never use anything else.

I'm a 5.0 player and I can't use anything but my K90 or PS88's. The assumption is that tweener frames or more modern lighter frames are more forgiving and easier to play with. I disagree. I think it boils down to what you're accustomed to hitting with. I've tried the Babolat AeroPro Drive, Pure Drive, Head Prestige MP, Prince Exo Tour, Wilson BLX Pro Open and they just didn't measure up to my K90 or PS88. For me, thin beam, smaller head frames work best.

stormholloway
01-30-2012, 05:05 PM
I thought it was too muted and didn't like the balance. To manufacture a racquet with that static weight and that ridiculous balance was just silly.

They should have just spec'd it like the 85 and let Pete do whatever he wanted after. It was a poor business decision.

Oh and I LOVE the guy saying the swingweight is too low. To my knowledge when it was released, it had the highest swing weight on the market.

Fuji
01-30-2012, 05:15 PM
I thought it was too muted and didn't like the balance. To manufacture a racquet with that static weight and that ridiculous balance was just silly.

They should have just spec'd it like the 85 and let Pete do whatever he wanted after. It was a poor business decision.

Oh and I LOVE the guy saying the swingweight is too low. To my knowledge when it was released, it had the highest swing weight on the market.

In all actuality though, the swingweight stock isn't that high. It's around 345, which I believe the Youtek Radical Pro has as well.

-Fuji

leonidas1982
01-30-2012, 08:00 PM

It was a very narrow business decision; it didn't allow room for customization. As you said, it did need to be spec'd with a lower static weight. I do, however, like the balance. But one can get that balance with one's own customization. I hope they can release a modified version.

stormholloway
01-30-2012, 08:27 PM
In all actuality though, the swingweight stock isn't that high. It's around 345, which I believe the Youtek Radical Pro has as well.

-Fuji

This is false.

It was a very narrow business decision; it didn't allow room for customization. As you said, it did need to be spec'd with a lower static weight. I do, however, like the balance. But one can get that balance with one's own customization. I hope they can release a modified version.

I think the balance is fine, with a lower static. One thing had to budge: either the balance or the static weight. Everyone wanted a modernized PS85 and Wilson didn't deliver.

Fuji
01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
This is false.

I think the balance is fine, with a lower static. One thing had to budge: either the balance or the static weight. Everyone wanted a modernized PS85 and Wilson didn't deliver.

Really?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-KPS88.html#spec

Swing Weight of 345

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Radical_Pro/descpageRCHEAD-HYTRP.html#spec

Swing Weight of 345

Identical swing weights, just different balances and weight.

Personally I don't find 345 that heavy to swing around. 365 is around my optimum range.

-Fuji

stormholloway
01-30-2012, 08:58 PM
I actually looked up the IG version. That is a surprising stat.

Anyway the difference I see is that swing weight is overcome pretty easily with good technique, but sometimes even the best players have to muscle the ball here and there.

In other words just because two racquets have the same swing weight doesn't mean they will 'play' just as heavy. The KPS88 has an ounce on the YT Rad Pro. Swing weight is a useful stat but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Fuji
01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
I actually looked up the IG version. That is a surprising stat.

Anyway the difference I see is that swing weight is overcome pretty easily with good technique, but sometimes even the best players have to muscle the ball here and there.

In other words just because two racquets have the same swing weight doesn't mean they will 'play' just as heavy. The KPS88 has an ounce on the YT Rad Pro. Swing weight is a useful stat but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Of course! Swing weight is a pretty nifty stat, but it really doesn't show what the racket can do off the bat. I lead up most my sticks to the same range so the racket really doesn't matter, as long as the stiffness is comfortable.

-Fuji

dsa202
02-02-2012, 06:44 AM
My 3.5 forehand would destroy your 2.5 backhand

Let's get this going. I'm in LI, where are you?

JoelDali
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
88 Exo.

I'm in.

I'm a strong 3.0

Power Player
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Total vanity frame for PeteTards.

I want one.

sargeinaz
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Total vanity frame for PeteTards.

I want one.

A PeteTard I am and that's why it was purchased.

Power Player
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah i have come so close to buying one so many times. I passed and now i cant find any that are less than $150. Lol.

parasailing
02-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Great racquet with awesome plow through not to mention would save you some sting cost due to the small fame size and string patten. For me, the PSTGT was more forgiving end up though I gave up some power, I gain more control and better placement.

I once had 6 of the KPS 88s until I sold them all and now I have 5 PSTGTs.

sargeinaz
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Great racquet with awesome plow through not to mention would save you some sting cost due to the small fame size and string patten. For me, the PSTGT was more forgiving end up though I gave up some power, I gain more control and better placement.

I once had 6 of the KPS 88s until I sold them all and now I have 5 PSTGTs.

You made the same switch as Pete himself :shock:

JGads
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Getting one of these to flatten some tennis balls, purely for fun. Total PeteTard. I also want to be more like JoelDali, literary genius and leader of the Eagle movement.

JoelD, what's the golden setup, my man? I want to fly.

Power Player
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
I have heard Dali loves a full job of SilverString at around 57#s.

Basically had to make a few phone calls to his stringers, ball boys and towel girls before I could get that info.

Do you pretty much have to get lucky to find one of these babies used now?

parasailing
02-02-2012, 10:34 PM
You made the same switch as Pete himself :shock:

Too bad my tennis skills are no where close to his:). It's a great racquet but a few times, I would shank the ball due to the smaller frame size. The PSTGT to me is like an updated modern version of those classic box beam racquets.