PDA

View Full Version : Best time to demo racquets?

French Edwards
01-27-2012, 11:41 AM
My new singles season starts February 11th. This is my second season and wanted to upgrade from my old Prince I bought at Sports Authority 5 years ago and am trying to debate when to demo a new racquet. I went 5-2 in my men's league and out of a 128-man playoff at season end, made it to the sweet 16, so I consider myself "quickly improving". It's gotta be around now, right? With all the new sticks coming out? Thx

TripleB
01-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Typically during the winter months is the best time to demo racquets (IMO) if the weather is above 50 in your area.

I tend to find more demos in stock (except for the newest racquets) during the winter months...I'm guessing maybe some players who demo from T-W live in areas where the winter months don't offer the best of playing conditions.

TripleB

drkplayer122
01-27-2012, 06:33 PM
What sticks are you planning to demo?

Evelgest
01-27-2012, 07:29 PM
It definitely sounds like a good time for you to start demoing rackets.

I just received a box of 4 demos yesterday from TW to find that 3 of the 4 are brand new with the wrapping still on the grip. Yeah, I have that phobia of scratching or chipping rackets especially if they're not mine. It seems like fewer people demo rackets this time of year so if weather's good in your area, I don't see why not.

Captain Tezuka
01-28-2012, 04:19 AM
Typically during the winter months is the best time to demo racquets (IMO) if the weather is above 50 in your area.

I tend to find more demos in stock (except for the newest racquets) during the winter months...I'm guessing maybe some players who demo from T-W live in areas where the winter months don't offer the best of playing conditions.

TripleB

TripleB,

Would that translate to summer in the Southern Hemisphere? I live in Australia and I wonder if the demo programs over here would be the same as they are over in the US when it's wintertime here?

-Tezuka

French Edwards
01-30-2012, 06:05 AM
I live in Atlanta, very mild winter so I've been playing 3 times a week. I will try to get one figured out and comfortable before the season starts. I've hit the YT Radical Mid, Prince Rebel Black (Isner's) and the Pure Drive GT Roddick when my friend demoed those 3. Liked the Head the best. I'm tall and lanky, can generate my own power and learning control, spin. Have no spin on my serve yet, just flat and faster all the time as I learn to snap my wrist and get timing right. Baseliner at this point, but trying to learn to attack the net. Any suggestions, drk or others?

fuzz nation
01-30-2012, 06:52 AM
I don't think of any one time of the year to be better than another for sampling different racquets, just because I go on the assumption that if I find something that I want to switch into, it will take me at least a number of weeks to get myself rather well dialed in with that different frame. That includes finding a string setup that gives me the best performance and feel. I'm spoiled in that department though, because I string my own gear.

The one consideration that makes a big difference for me in terms of getting the most out of a batch of demos is to make sure that I get them sometime where I know that I'll get two or three sessions with them on the courts. In case I really like one or two demo racquets, I try not to get too excited unless I have another very good experience on a different day. That's when I start to believe that I might be onto something.

French Edwards
01-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks fuzz. One of the shops in town has a $30 demo deal, you can get up to 2 racquets at a time and keep them for as many days as you want, when you drop them off you can get 2 more, etc. You have 30 days to go crazy and the $30 goes towards the racquet cost. So I'll plan on taking notes and trying them several sessions.

fuzz nation
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
That's a nice deal, especially considering that most other programs I know of allow for a week's worth of demo time before you begin to rack up charges for the extra days. Also love how your local shop puts your demo charge toward the racquet you buy - very civilized!

Keeping notes is a great idea - I didn't get babbling too much about ideas to keep in mind for the demo process, but that's one that I recommend all the time. They can make for a very handy reference over time as you sample different racquets and need to jar your memory further down the road.

One mistake I've made with some demos has been to warm up with one of my own racquets before switching over to one of those new options. That only makes the demo feel more foreign for me and I'm better off just starting in on a practice hit with that different frame right away. It can also be helpful to figure out which demo has the most heft or the highest swing-weight and try that one first. I'm always better off switching from a heavier racquet to a lighter alternative. Going in the other direction can demand a more drastic change in my swing timing.