PDA

View Full Version : Amplifeel experiment, who's up for it?! :)

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Recently, a few posters have posted pictures of the so-called Amplifeel handles with what are supposed to be basalt? strips on the handle. Sort of impressed because I'm not too crazy with companies and "new" technologies. They always sound like marketing bs to me.

Anyway, I'm proposing an experiment that'll help tell us the effectiveness of Amplifeel, who's willing to do it?

1) Remove the Amplifeel basalt strips off of the PSBLX90, and play with it.

2) Somehow add those Amplifeel basalt strips to the handle of previous generations of the Tour 90's (Tour 90/N90/K90/BLX90).

UCSF2012
01-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Do it on a demo racket. Use a blow dryer to loosen the adhesive.

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Do it on a demo racket. Use a blow dryer to loosen the adhesive.

Haha, I can't imagine TW liking this post...

Larrysümmers
01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
do it on a Mid-west demo ;)

seekay
01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I expect it would be easier to do a full pallet swap. The foam on the new racquets is shaped differently; there are shallow depressions so that the added material is flush with the expected grip shape.

Correspondingly, you'd want to cut out some foam in the old racquet's grip if you wanted to maintain your grip size and shape.

So I'm not going to volunteer my racquets to help :)

I figure it's a gimmick, and I'm guessing that Roger doesn't have amplifeel in his custom-molded P1 pallets.

vsbabolat
01-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I expect it would be easier to do a full pallet swap. The foam on the new racquets is shaped differently; there are shallow depressions so that the added material is flush with the expected grip shape.

Correspondingly, you'd want to cut out some foam in the old racquet's grip if you wanted to maintain your grip size and shape.

So I'm not going to volunteer my racquets to help :)

I figure it's a gimmick, and I'm guessing that Roger doesn't have amplifeel in his custom-molded P1 pallets.

You cant switch pallets because there are no pallets to switch. Wilson uses molded PU handles. You cant take them off.

corners
01-27-2012, 03:41 PM
I think the way to go, if you want a proper experiment, would be to fashion some strips of polyurethane foam in the same shape as the amplifeel.

Then take two BPS90s, leave one stock and replace the amplifeel strips with the PU strips on the other. Then replace the grip and give to your playtester, blind. He/she can't know which is which otherwise there would be no value in the experiment.

You could do the same thing with an Organix racquet - take the butt cap off and cut out the high-rise building vibration stabilizer thingy, replace buttcap. Compare to non-tampered-with stick.

Fed Kennedy
01-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Just find a blx90 and an amp 90 with the same specs and compare

gavna
01-27-2012, 04:16 PM
I just regriped my new 95's and I really don't see how you can remove the strips without tearing apart the handle......dumb idea

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Just find a blx90 and an amp 90 with the same specs and compare

Then I'll be comparing a blx90 and a psblx90. It doesn't isolate the basalt strips -.-.

Fed Kennedy
01-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Then I'll be comparing a blx90 and a psblx90. It doesn't isolate the basalt strips -.-.

Yeah but...isnt that the only difference between the two? Same mold, flex, weight etc...i think if you get two with the same sw you are good to go...seems more accurate than ripping up a handle.

tennis_balla
01-27-2012, 05:13 PM
Who thinks the OP should stop being a cheap *****, buy the racket and do the experiment himself if he's so curious?

Bad form trying to sucker someone into this.

Power Player
01-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Why not hit with a stick from last year and then a new model? Im going to do that. It makes a lot more sense than ruining a racquet for no reason.

corners
01-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Yeah but...isnt that the only difference between the two? Same mold, flex, weight etc...i think if you get two with the same sw you are good to go...seems more accurate than ripping up a handle.

According to the inside-the-head cardboard insert, Wilson went back to braided construction this year. The BLX line was unidirectional graphite/basal, as far as I can tell. Much of the classic Pro Staff feel is attributed to the braided construction.

Say Chi Sin Lo
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Who thinks the OP should stop being a cheap *****, buy the racket and do the experiment himself if he's so curious?

Bad form trying to sucker someone into this.

Who thinks this person doesn't understand the scientific process. Simply put, you can't test something when it's still a part of something bigger, especially when it's attached to unknown variables. There are other factors contributing to the racquet here. Though the specs are similiar, if not identical to the BLX90, we all know the swingweight is different and we don't know how Wilson did it. In an experiment, one can only change a single variable (in this case, the basalt strips), while keeping all things constant as best as one can (the entire frame). Therefore, whatever the user is feeling on the PSBLX90, how do we know if it's the result of the basalt strips, or whatever Wilson did to the new frame, or a combination of both?

I'm not suckering anyone into this, just thought it'll be an interesting discussion. I didn't tell anyone to do it. If you don't want to do it, go ahead and move on.

And just so you know, I have hit with the PSBLX90, and one of the first too I may add. But because of other variables and unknown on the frame, I can't tell if the slightly less dampened/crisper sensation is the result of "Amplifeel", or the frame itself.

Do some digging, and maybe think with your head before you run your mouth son.

UCSF2012
01-28-2012, 12:19 PM
It's a good experiment.

When you have the entire frame made of basalt/graphite, what additional dampening does tiny graphite strips at the handle give? Or is the improvement negligible?

Are we better off with silicone in the handle?

Lead absorbs vibration too. Perhaps a few lead strips at the handle does the same thing?

This is a matter of knowledge. Seeking knowledge, that is. Some people love it, while others don't care for it. This is a matter for those who want to discover. For all others, kindly move on.

Power Player
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Ill let you guys know if i notice a difference when i buy the new 6.1. Ill be switching between the last version and the new one, so it will be easy to figure out after some matches. They are pretty much the same, so its an easy a/b test.

Fed Kennedy
01-28-2012, 12:57 PM
It will be interesting to see the vibration frequency rating that tw gives this frame in comparison to the blx90.

retlod
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I found the Amplifeel in a TW demo. It's a little squirt of silicone inside the handle. Nothing more.

Torres
03-14-2012, 05:10 PM
I found the Amplifeel in a TW demo. It's a little squirt of silicone inside the handle. Nothing more.

You need to remove the grip:-

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ckuehn/tennis/amplifeel.jpg

retlod
03-14-2012, 06:36 PM
You need to remove the grip:-

I realize those strips are there, but I doubt they make as much of a difference as the silicone that nobody sees. The only reason I looked inside the handle was because after hitting with a Juice I thought, "Jeez, this feels like it has silicone in the handle!" Lo and behold, there it was.

scotus
03-14-2012, 07:31 PM
I realize those strips are there, but I doubt they make as much of a difference as the silicone that nobody sees. The only reason I looked inside the handle was because after hitting with a Juice I thought, "Jeez, this feels like it has silicone in the handle!" Lo and behold, there it was.

Amplifeel is those strips (supposedly basalt composite) on the handle, and it is not there to dampen vibration. If anything, it would amply vibration (Wilson would say a certain frequency of vibration, i.e., good vibration, as opposed to the bad vibration which is conveniently filtered out by the foam) to enhance feel. This is in response to the complaint that the previous BLX line of racquets was too muted.

Silicone in the handle is there most likely to bring the racquet's weight up to the factory tolerance. Silicone has been in Wilson racquets forever when needed. It is not what they call Amplifeel.

Here, watch Wilson's ad for Amplifeel:
http://www.facebook.com/WilsonTennis/posts/295505270514099