PDA

View Full Version : Why do my tennis shoes STINK so bad!?

wings56
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
This is just ridiculous! Every pair of tennis shoes I've ever had all smell horrible after just a few sessions. I have running shoes that I sweat in every single day, but they have no odor. I don't understand why tennis shoes seem to hold a stench worse than other shoes.

ArliHawk
01-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Your running shoes probably have more mesh on them, which helps them breathe. Some tennis shoes are suffocating and probably make the stench worse.

charliefedererer
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM
How many hours at a time do you run?

How many hours straight do you play tennis?

Do you ever take the innersole out and soak/wash it in the sink with Oxiclean?

Do your shoes bother you enough to buy Dr. Scholl's Odor Destroy Foot Deodorant Sport Spray?

Can't think of a name
01-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Your running shoes probably have more mesh on them, which helps them breathe. Some tennis shoes are suffocating and probably make the stench worse.

^^that^^
Just get a shoe freshener spray and give the shoes a few sprays every once in a while

hcb0804
01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
my tennis shoes NEVER stink.
it's your feet; see a doctor.

ollinger
01-27-2012, 02:29 PM
^^ doctor says "you're not sick, get out of my office, don't forget the co-pay." Evolution, my friend. Your feet didn't evolve to be inside a leather(ette) container running around for hours.

pageltennis
01-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Mine always stink horribly too. I have some adidas deodorizing spray cans i got at one of their outlets pretty cheep and it works really well on my shoes.

lim
01-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Where are you storing them after you play?

snoopy
01-27-2012, 08:39 PM
throw them in the wash once in a while.

you can also leave them outside in the sun.

presto, they smell better!

ArliHawk
01-27-2012, 08:42 PM
This makes sense; the sunlight should kill some bacteria.

If you live in a cold climate, you could leave them outside overnight, that should do the trick, too.

Maui19
01-28-2012, 02:31 AM
I use a spray and some foot powder in my shoes after every use. They never smell (although they used to before I started doing this). I have three pairs that I rotate so they have time to dry before use.

To kill the smell, put your shoes in a big plastic bag and put them in your freezer for 24 hours. That will kill the bacteria and the smell. Once the smell is gone, start treating them with spray and powder after each use and you won't have an odor problem.

Sveinsson
01-28-2012, 05:25 AM
I just use a shoe spray from Scholl. Never leave home without one can in my tennis bag. Just spray your shoes after playing and your shoes don't smell no more.

http://productimages-live.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/big/scholl-shoe-spray.jpg

hcb0804
01-28-2012, 06:16 AM
It's y'alls feet that have the bacteria on them that causes the stank. The bacteria is on your feet, which transfers to the socks which transfers to the shoes. Keep your feet more clean and your shoes and socks won't stink. Soak your feet in apple cider vinegar and warm water with baking soda. If that doesn't work, amputate your feet.

wrxinsc
01-28-2012, 06:22 AM
if you play a lot of tennis in a hot and humid climate get one of these http://www.peetshoedryer.com/product_original.html

works for me. hunter's, fishermen, etc. swear by it.

dr325i
01-28-2012, 08:30 AM
- Always use a fresh pair of socks when you play
- always leave them in an open air (garage like, etc) place to air and dry
- take them off as soon as possible after the game
- make sure you wash your feet (and body preferably) on a daily basis
- make sure you do not have some weird stuff growing between your toes or under your finger nails (like kiteboard, for example)
- Make sure you do not wear you tennis shoes longer than 5-6 months...

NJ1
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
- Always use a fresh pair of socks when you play
- always leave them in an open air (garage like, etc) place to air and dry
- take them off as soon as possible after the game
- make sure you wash your feet (and body preferably) on a daily basis
- make sure you do not have some weird stuff growing between your toes or under your finger nails (like kiteboard, for example)
- Make sure you do not wear you tennis shoes longer than 5-6 months...

+1 on this post, especiall the bolded portion. I do all the above and my tennis shoes never smell despite being soaked with sweat after every match.

drkplayer122
01-28-2012, 09:05 AM
What I do when my shoes stink is put 1 or 2 scented dryer sheet in my shoes overnight, then it smells like it the next day.

If its your feet that causing the stench, you can soak your feet in a half half solution of vinegar and water. This will kill the bacteria that causes the stink and can help reduce the fungus growth in your toe nails and between you toes.

Ducker
01-28-2012, 09:11 AM
You have bacteria infested feet is all. The smell is from the bacterias poop and waste. When you sweat you all secreate alot of other good stuff that bacteria feast on.

Anyway I would do something to try to get rid of the bacteria living on your feet but it probably wont be easy.

dennis10is
01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
It's y'alls feet that have the bacteria on them that causes the stank. The bacteria is on your feet, which transfers to the socks which transfers to the shoes. Keep your feet more clean and your shoes and socks won't stink. Soak your feet in apple cider vinegar and warm water with baking soda. If that doesn't work, amputate your feet.

I'd go with amputation.

hcb0804
01-28-2012, 12:58 PM
You have bacteria infested feet is all. The smell is from the bacterias poop and waste. When you sweat you all secreate alot of other good stuff that bacteria feast on.

Anyway I would do something to try to get rid of the bacteria living on your feet but it probably wont be easy.

this is what I've been saying all along; YOUR FEET STINK, and you are transferring that stench to your shoes. CLEAN YOUR FEET!!!

Fee
01-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Baking soda is the cheapest way to deodorize your shoes, it's 50 cents a box. Sprinkle some in, shake it around your shoes, then shake it out of your shoes into the trash and let your shoes air out. Should take care of it. You can also sprinkle some right onto your feet when you're done playing.

Keeping your feet clean and wearing clean socks is also necessary. As stated above soaking your feet in water and white vinegar should help.

PrinceMoron
01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
My club has machines that deodorize/sanitise shoes. Look like microwaves, 2 minutes and they come out smelling sweet.

Don't try it at home, you need the real deal.