PDA

View Full Version : Add Weight at the Hoop or Handle?

user92626
01-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Hi Folks with Customization,

Let's say your strength can afford to handle 8 grams more for static weight. Do you prefer to add those grams to the hoop (lead tape at 10, 2) or the buttcap (putty stuff)?

I'm so indecisive about this. I like easy swinging but also like as much power as possible. I like stability and need to slow down my swing without sacrifying power.

Is polarization make the swing harder to control? I feel that's the case.

What's your opinion?

Meaghan
01-27-2012, 01:40 PM
There are a lot more variables than just adding weight top or bottom. I like to buy a racket within about 20g of my preferred weight and pretty much the same balance around 7 or 8 pts hl. I like to raise my sw so that the amount needed in the hoop is relative to the stock sw, I add weight from 10-2. As static weight is less important to me than my sw and balance, I then add weight to the top of the handle (+ overgrip weight) to re adjust my balance to my desired spec of 7pts.

So as you see its not as simple as just adding weight to the hoop or handle.

If I had 8g to play with and my balance was fine stock then I would add about 5g top of handle and 3g divided between 10 & 2, giving you a power and stability boost whilst also retaining your balance.

PED
01-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I used an apdgt for 18 months that I leaded from inside the handle. I tried 13g of blue tack and later 13g of lead.

I know that theoretically, 13g is 13g, but the lead felt MUCH more solid than the blue tack did. Just my 2 cents.

Regarding the polarized setup, it depends on your swing. I use a full western grip so I tend to prefer my lead at the tip. I tried it at 3/9 several times but I like the acceleration I get from the tip. the 3/9 setup seemed to decelerate my swing at times, especially on the 2hbh. It's whatever you get grooved to.

I've also moved more to an HL racquet. I'm using the Tec 320 vo2 max and it's 31.8cm balance. The static is 340g but the balance is so HL that it comes around like a rocket. I still get the stability with the greater mass but it swings easy to and gives me more options if I get caught late.

user92626
01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't have a good way to measure SW and balance point so I basically play with various gram amounts and at different spots.

I guess my confusion of knowing what I really want out of my racket comes from the fact that I play with players of too wildly different levels. Sometimes I got blown out of the court by a heavy hitter or I swing too fast, then I wish my racket has a bit more heft and needs slowing down. Other time I play with paceless hitters and it feels like a chore to generate pace on my own, ie my racket feels too heavy and I wish it could be lighter and swifter.

I think the trick is to find a good middle ground.

Right now I'm trying 10 grams inside the buttcaps of my Speeds making them very headlight. They feel more stable (good) but demand more effort (bad) and add no more power to my shot (bad).

Is it really a good idea to play with very HL?

Meaghan
01-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Just use the swingweight tool given to us by tennis warehouse on their home page under tw university I think....do it several times and take the average, it'll give you a rough idea. As for balance just hang the head of the racket over an edge like a kitchen work top, balance it as close to the edge so that it doesn't drop, measure from the handle to the edge and you have your balance in cm. if its standard length racket then 32cm is about 8pts hl, every quarter of an inch up or down is relative to 1 point in balance.

user92626
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Mea

I gonna do that.

corners
01-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi Folks with Customization,

Let's say your strength can afford to handle 8 grams more for static weight. Do you prefer to add those grams to the hoop (lead tape at 10, 2) or the buttcap (putty stuff)?

I'm so indecisive about this. I like easy swinging but also like as much power as possible. I like stability and need to slow down my swing without sacrifying power.

Is polarization make the swing harder to control? I feel that's the case.

What's your opinion?

The bold part of your post tells us it's head weight you want. Weight in the head will increase stability much more than weight in the handle. Weight in the head will slow down your swing; weight in the handle may more may not, 8 grams - probably not. Weight in the head will improve the intrinsic power of the racquet, weight in the handle will NOT.

user92626
01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Corners,

So, at what point do players start to prefer HL, especially many points HL?

It seems like majority prefer HL.

LeeD
01-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Headlight balance for rackets around 10.5 and up in weight.
Even balance for anything much lighter.
SW is a key. Seems plenty of 12 oz rackets have SW of 330. Headlight maybe 7 points.
But a 300 gm racket can also have the same SW, but they're generally stiffer and oftentimes bigger in head size.

corners
01-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Corners,

So, at what point do players start to prefer HL, especially many points HL?

It seems like majority prefer HL.

Check Lee's post above. SW is the key, to power and swingspeed. Two racquets can have the same swingweight, and thus pretty much the same inherent "power", but have very different static weights.

Say you've got a racquet, called A:

A) It weighs 10 ounces (280 grams) is evenly balanced (balances at a point 34.3 cm from the end of the butt) and has a swingweight of 320. The difficulty of swinging this thing will mainly be a function of the swingweight. You could swing a 300 swingweight faster than it, but couldn't swing a 340 swingweight stick as fast.

Now, take a racquet, called B, with the following specs:

11 ounces (312 grams), 6 points HL (32.5 cm) balance and swingweight of 320.

What's the difference between A & B? B is pretty much the same as A but has an extra ounce in the handle. Because the swingweight is the same it will have pretty much the same amount of intrinsic power. But it might be a little bit harder to swing because of that extra mass in the handle. But opinions vary on this, some people don't think handle weight makes any difference to swingspeed. Now, because you've got that extra ounce in the handle B is also more headlight. Headlight balance seems to make racquets more maneuverable, especially when you hold them upright, like when you're in your ready position at the net. But which is more maneuverable? A is an ounce lighter! But B is more headlight! Who knows.

If you want to slow down your swing put mass at 12 o' clock, and a little will do just fine. This will also bump up the power level of the racquet. So you'll swing a little slower but the ball you hit will travel about as fast as before. Lead at 12 will make it a little sluggish though, so I would then put about 2-3 times as much at the top of the handle. I think this is pretty much what Meaghan suggested above. You can play around with the amount of lead at the top of the handle to get it to swing with the "timing" that you like. If it feels sluggish, or like the head is lagging behind when you swing, put a little more at the top of the handle; if it's zipping through too fast for your style, then take a little off.

Since you're thinking of adding 8 grams, put 2g at 12 and 6g at the top of the grip and see if it's the improvement you're looking for.

LeeD
01-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I gotta almost retract my post.
Corners really does know about a thousand times more than I.
I'm a neantherdah here.

corners
01-27-2012, 05:50 PM
I gotta almost retract my post.
Corners really does know about a thousand times more than I.
I'm a neantherdah here.

Nah, Lee, I agree with what you wrote above. I think you're one of those guys who found that taking an ounce or so out of the handle (going from a 12 ounce player's stick to a 10 ounce tweener with similar swingweights) gave you more headspeed, right? Some people do find that to be the case, and if you don't lose control by doing it then it is probably the way to go. If you can get more headspeed with the same effort that's pretty much the ticket to better performance, it would seem to me. Headspeed is way more important to speed of shot than a racquet's intrinsic power.

user92626
01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks, corners

That's more details than I knew. I've been playing with lead tape and putty stuff. I kinda vaguely understood the effects and it's been trial and error.

Do you know the difference between weights at top of handle and at buttcap??

Captain Tezuka
01-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Nah, Lee, I agree with what you wrote above. I think you're one of those guys who found that taking an ounce or so out of the handle (going from a 12 ounce player's stick to a 10 ounce tweener with similar swingweights) gave you more headspeed, right? Some people do find that to be the case, and if you don't lose control by doing it then it is probably the way to go. If you can get more headspeed with the same effort that's pretty much the ticket to better performance, it would seem to me. Headspeed is way more important to speed of shot than a racquet's intrinsic power.

Hi Corners,

Does Headspeed translate into more racket head speed? If so then the performance of most players might see increase improvement.

-Tezuka

P.S. To OP If you want to add weight to a racquet you should at it at both ends so that it balances unless specific circumstances occur. This is due to the balance and other specs that will alter due to increased weight. Infact all sepcs will change slightly if one spec is tampered with.

Chyeaah
01-28-2012, 04:52 AM
No. Swinging a lighter racquet vs swinging the same racquet but heavier you can handle.

As long as you find the racquet powerful enough and stable enough don't go heavier.

Captain Tezuka
01-28-2012, 05:01 AM
No. Swinging a lighter racquet vs swinging the same racquet but heavier you can handle.

As long as you find the racquet powerful enough and stable enough don't go heavier.

You talking to me Chyeaah or who? Please add name in to reducec confusion. Please?

Thanks

-Tezuka

user92626
01-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Hi guys,

Now that I have played extensively with a Head Speed Elite that was all weighed up at the buttcap (roughly 12grs of blue tac putty) and not anywhere else which altogether came to be 330grams, I found that the racket is very stable but virtually no additional power at all! I still had to swing at the same high speed as before to generate pace.

I'm gonna listen to corners and add a few grams of lead tape (4?) across the 12 spot.

I need this stability but lower swing speed and better power. Sound like I'm heading into 11.7 oz+ area.

Captain,

The statement from corners that you quoted is interesting, isn't it? It's like the best of both world. It seems like you could swing a lighter racket (one oz less), less energy needed, but still keep the same power (from the same swingweight), no?