PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on new racquet

Sundan
01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi,im about to switch to a more "advanced" racquet from my beginners racquet,wich is the Babolat xs 105,and i would like some advice on what to choose.

I demo:ed the Aeropro drive gt and the Pure drive gt(2010) so far and of those 2 i like the pure drive better,and are now considering to buy one or two,but i found some posts suggesting that there are better options to the pure drive,such as the Pure storm Gt, or similar racquets from other makers such as Yonex vcore 100s.

My problem is that those models above arent availiable to demo in my city so i would like to hear your opinions,if the majority recommends one model over another i probably take my chances i go for that one.

Why i ask is that i could live with a little more control and little less power,since i now are trying to keep the balls inside the lines more than trying to reach them.

So if i want a Pure drive-ish racquet,should i go for the 2012 PDgt or would Pure storm gt or Yonex vcore 100s be better choices ?
All 3 racquets have some good comments about them,but if we put them all against eachother,wich would be YOUR choice,and why ?

(Feel free to add other suggestions,but skip the expert sticks with 90 heads and 500g weights,im not ready for them yet.)

Dgdavid
01-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Hi, I started with the xs109. Really liked them and wish I stayed with them longer (was going to get an xs102 but ended up with an AeroProDrive for a while before moving on. Lots of good rackets out there but one I tried recently which I think you might like is the Dunlop Biomimetic 500 Tour. It is a nice racket that is good at most things and I felt very comfortably with it. Give it a go if you can. Good luck.

Sundan
01-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi,thanks for your reply,however my options to demo racquets are very limited so i either go for the Pure driveGt since its ok to play with,or i could take a chance and order a "wildcard" from peoples experiences here.
I found some positives on both pure storm gt and on the yonex vcore 100s for example as i said earlier,and i want to see what people would prefer if the choice was between these 3.

Sundan
01-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to say that i totally missed the scoring from TW on the raquets,and they have ranked vcore 100s and PDgt quite similar,but vcore 100s has higher score on comfort and touch/feel wich was exactly what i felt was abit on the low side on the PD,and this seems to come at no cost in other areas,vcore 100s has same or higher points in all other cathegories.
It looks now as i will "take a chance" and order this one next week,but you are most welcome to keep posting.

drkplayer122
01-27-2012, 09:19 PM
if you're really looking for comfort racket you should try looking at the radical line. it is excellent for control, but it does lack a little power. They are also very light at 11 ounces give or take.

Sundan
01-28-2012, 01:58 AM
I discovered that they have the vcore 100s for demo afterall,so i will try it out tomorrow.
The only Head racquet they have is the speed mp 300,wich is on the similar link to the vcore 100 so i guess i might try that aswell.

Dgdavid
01-28-2012, 06:17 AM
I have just left the Head IG Speed 300 for the Head Prestige MP (I left the AeroProDriveGT for the IG Speed 300 before that). Used the 300 for about 4-5 months and it is very good. I would rate it above the Babolats I have used (AeroPro Drive GT, AeroPro Drive Team and XS109).
I had my Speed 300 strung with poly in the mains and hybrid in the crosses at mid-tension. Only down side is it can get pushed around by heavy hitters. If you can demo the 300, I definitely recommend it.

Sundan
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Too late,i went in and played with my daughter and demo the vcore 100s.
At first i wasnt impressed at all,but after a while when i found the sweetspot it felt stable and comfortable,and when i added a damper it went soo smooth,it really was a total change with a damperer in it.
I hi-jacked a player from the court next to our a few minutes since my daughter is a beginner i cant hit hard with her,and when i could hit normal groundstrokes it was perfect,good depth but still good clearance to the baseline.
I went to the net sometimes and it felt good,simply as the TW judged it,an overall good racquet.
Can recommend this model over Pure drive,even though that wasnt bad either,but this one has more control overall,and was easier to make these touch shots .
I bought one :)

whomad15
01-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Pure drives are very harsh racquets with a ton of power, they aren't exactly known for control or comfort.