PDA

View Full Version : Volkl C10 Pro or BB Melbourne

getsby
01-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I am 4.0 ntrp, SW FH, 1HBH, now the search. I had a few Volkl sticks ( PB 315 and DNX 9, just I tried Organix 325, my friend`s stick), and in general a positive attitude to the brand, except for their grip shape. Guys, tell me which of these two sticks better? Specs are very close, except for the string pattern.
added a poll, vote please :)

TennisMaverick
01-28-2012, 10:52 PM
I am 4.0 ntrp, SW FH, 1HBH, now the search. I had a few Volkl sticks ( PB 315 and DNX 9, just I tried Organix 325, my friend`s stick), and in general a positive attitude to the brand, except for their grip shape. Guys, tell me which of these two sticks better? Specs are very close, except for the string pattern.
added a poll, vote please :)

How well do you find the center of the racquet on a consistent basis? The Melbourne requires you to always hit dead center. The C10 is more forgiving. The C10 is also a traditional graphite frame; the Melbourne is a traditional frame with modern nano carbon at 3/9. What type of feel do you prefer? They are both precision frames, but with different feel and attributes. One is not better than the other.

And since one is a graphite frame and the other has nano carbon in its lay-up, the specs are totally irrelevant.

getsby
01-28-2012, 11:53 PM
TM, I do not have common mishit, maybe against hard hitters, sometimes.
definitely, I'm not old school player, and I love new technology, provided that they do work and are not a marketing ploy.
one of the best stick I've tried for a long time, was Wilson K 6.1 18x20. Unfortunately, it is very heavy for me. Besides, I recently have some pain in the elbow, and think of a more flexible racquets

equinox
01-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Wet noodle.

getsby
01-29-2012, 12:38 AM
last message-to nothing

Seth
01-29-2012, 12:53 AM
I've only hit with the C10 Pro (all yellow one). For whatever reason, I didn't care for it. Seemed to lack feel, but then again it was a demo and may have had old strings.

I'd go with the Melbourne, if for no other reason, the string pattern.

getsby
01-29-2012, 01:08 AM
I've only hit with the C10 Pro (all yellow one). For whatever reason, I didn't care for it. Seemed to lack feel, but then again it was a demo and may have had old strings.

your previous/current racquet?

TennisMaverick
01-29-2012, 03:23 AM

Dude....the C10 Pro is universally considered one of the best "feel" sticks of all time.

Crocodile
01-29-2012, 04:24 AM
I used a C10 for 2 years and I really enjoyed the racquet. However after using the Tour 10mp and V-engine 10 mp in the following 4 years I found going back to the C10 difficult. The C10 by then had felt more agricultural and less refined, I couldn't go back to it. Then came the DNX and PB series which I did not like because of their 18/20 string pattern so I found comfort with the Dunlop 4D 200 tour 16/19 pattern in Aus spec. Now the new Organix 10 feels too powerful because its a 98 head compared to a 95 head but its better than a C10. The Melbourne being an 18/20 is very comfortable. Tennis warehouse testers gave it a score of 87 for comfort and in the end I think it boils down to what you are most familiar with at present. You are going to have to take the racquet out and hit with it for an extended time.
I really believe you should be comparing the Organix to the Melbourne and keep the C10 as a collectors racquet for found nostalgia. Its like comparing a 1971 Datsun 240z to the current 370z, the new one has to come out on top in the end.

Agent Orynge
01-29-2012, 01:26 PM

Don't let anyone tell you that your opinion isn't valid.

getsby
01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I used a C10 for 2 years and I really enjoyed the racquet. However after using the Tour 10mp and V-engine 10 mp in the following 4 years I found going back to the C10 difficult. The C10 by then had felt more agricultural and less refined, I couldn't go back to it.
I do not quite understand you, which means "elt more agricultural and less refined"? lack of power, control or stability?

MCN
01-29-2012, 03:45 PM
The C10 is very flexy and plush and the power drops away towards the tip. I totally agree with TM, it's superb for feel and out of the dozen or so racquets I've used over 20 years (all renowned for feel) the C10 Pro was one of the very best.

I haven't used the BB Melbourne so can't comment, but now play with the X10 325 which I'm transitioning into as it has more forgiveness on a bad day and I win more matches with it and get more cheap points. The X10 isn't too powerful if it's strung tighter and it has a lower swing weight than the C10 and feels quicker to swing. In comparison I find the C10 needs long smooth strokes and good preparation but rewards well if you're on your game.

TennisMaverick
01-29-2012, 05:20 PM
TM, I do not have common mishit, maybe against hard hitters, sometimes.
definitely, I'm not old school player, and I love new technology, provided that they do work and are not a marketing ploy.
one of the best stick I've tried for a long time, was Wilson K 6.1 18x20. Unfortunately, it is very heavy for me. Besides, I recently have some pain in the elbow, and think of a more flexible racquets

Then go with the Melbourne.

McLovin
01-30-2012, 04:06 AM

I used the C10 Pro for a little over a year. I really liked the frame, but found it was a tad too heavy for me. When playing younger players, especially on clay, my shoulder would become fatigued after 2 sets and I had a hard time controlling high bouncing shots.

I demoed tons of frames and it came down to the Pacific X-Force Pro and the Melbourne. I went with the X-Force Pro only because it has a slightly more open pattern (16x20 vs 18x20), but I'm certain I would have been just as happy w/ the Melbourne.

Then go with the Melbourne.

I agree. The C10 Pro is 12.2 oz strung, the Melbourne 12oz. If you felt the K6.1 was too heavy, then the C10 Pro will likely be too heavy as well. It is a beast, but a nice one. While the Melbourne is listed as 12oz strung, it didn't feel heavy to swing, even though the specs say their swingweights are similar.

Seth
01-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Dude....the C10 Pro is universally considered one of the best "feel" sticks of all time.

As I said, the strings may have been too far gone to benefit the frame. Additionally, until my switch to Yonex, I've always used Wilson 6.1 95s, so the feel of those frames were my benchmark. Volkl was entirely different.

I respect the frame as a classic, it just wasn't for me.

BillH
01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
I'm a 4.0 player with 1hbh and pretty big serve. I've used the 10VE mid and DNX9 for the last serveral years (used DNX10 for a short while also). I've demoed the PBs and have a BB11 MP. All I can say is when I demoed the C10 a month or so ago, I knew I had found my racquet. It may be a purely personal thing, but the C10 feels and swings perfect for me - I can't imagine playing tennis without this racquet. I'm playing better with the C10 and its not just my imagination - several people in my club leagues have told me how much better my serve and groundstrokes are with the "new" racquet. All I can say is that you should at least play with it for awhile and see for yourself.

fuzz nation
01-30-2012, 07:51 AM
One player's feel is another player's... something or other.

Everyone's idea of good feel is a personal thing, so I don't think we need to get hung up on it. I've enjoyed the C10 for a few years and agree that it has a rather soft feel, but that could be unsettling for a player who is used to a crisp, snappy feel at contact. The C10 also has a reputation for being extremely string-sensitive as far as its feel and performance are concerned. My racquets work well for me strung in the low 60's with 17 ga. syn. gut.

I used the ProStaff 6.1 Classics for a lot of years - speaking of crisp & snappy feel - but I started looking at racquets with more flex as I rebuilt my ground strokes. The softer options gave me more control with my full swings, but I also found a lot of comfort with the flexible frames, too. Never had tennis elbow, but re-tooling my strokes included building a sound one-handed backhand. The Volkl C10 has never given me even a twinge in my arm/elbow and I don't think I can say that about any other racquet I've owned in recent years.

I should add that although my C10's are lighter than my 6.1 Classics, I have some lead on the handles of my Volkls to up their balance to 10 pts. HL. While they're both soft and stable for me, that extra HL balance also makes them highly maneuverable and lots of fun for all-court play. I haven't had a try with the BB Melbourne, but I'm sure that I'd want to add some weight to it's handle, too. It looks like a nice layout though, including moderate flex, enough heft to feel rather stable, and I doubt it has the peculiar "tip dead" personality of the C10 - no biggie, but an acquired taste I'd say.

getsby
01-30-2012, 02:25 PM
McLovin and Fuzz Nation, Tell your ntrp rating?

that surprises me here in a BB Melbourne fan club, subject to 35 pages. C10Pro not had so many admirers there, but in a poll lead Volkl

McLovin
01-31-2012, 02:46 AM
I'm a 4.5, but I routinely hit w/ 5.0 rated players, all of them 1/2 my age. I can hang with them, usually taking a set, every now & then winning in straights, but it has gotten to the point where I can play my best & still lose.

Getting old sucks.

getsby
01-31-2012, 03:10 AM
Thank you for participating in the theme.

About the fact that C10 Pro-heavy frame and I will be as uncomfortable to play it, like Wilson 6.1. Wilson has a 95 head size, Volkl 98. String pattern 18x20 versus 16x19, i think open string pattern more forgivness. Stiffness 69 vs 63, its also more comfortable feel. And main reason-swingweight, 323 vs 340! All this, if you believe the statement on the TW.

Meaghan
01-31-2012, 03:56 AM
I hit with the c10pro some time back and I really liked it but cant really remember why i moved it on.

As for the Melbourne, its comfortable in thatits not too stiff and its not too flexy. The dnx/nano carbon whatever does make a difference, it feels like steel so its very stable in the hoop which feels nice and weighty.
The dense string pattern is not too dense, Im getting as much spin from this and my set up than anything Ive used before. Ive adde3d weight in the hoop, not really necessary but mainly to up the SW to somewhere that feels comfortable. This also adds to the power of this racket, ok I havent hit with it stock but it packs a punch (something I remember the c10pro i struggled with). I can easily flatten out and hit thro my opponent.
As you would expect there's the volkl feel, kinda smooth, aerodynamic, moves thro the air really well. Very manouverable as is the c10 and volleys feel very natural.
My game revolves around my serve so it needs to do the business here and the Melbourne does if you can manage the weight in the hoop. Big bombs and easy sliders are routine, In fact its a beast of a stick.
Ive struggled mainly with set up, Im a full poly user fw both sides fh and 1hbh and this thing strings up tighter so my normal tour bite feels a little harsh. Ive been testing some slightly softer polys and its going very well indeed, the touch is better, more diversity which suits the stick and my all court game. Ive lowered my tension to mid 40's and the racket and strings are performing wonders. Just had about 6hrs with Pros Pro hexaspin twist at 45lbs and it was a very pleasant experience indeed, its getting cut out tonight for something different but it will be hard to beat Im sure.

So personally Id give the Melly a whirl over the c10pro.....

mrmike
01-31-2012, 05:34 AM
I have 2 C10 Pros sitting on the sidelines right now for one main reason. I can't seem to consistently keep the ball in the court with that frame. The comfort is fantastic, serving is very good also with nice spin. But I tend to spray shots long and wide with it, especially when trying to flatten out drives. I have the C10 strung at 60lbs (Prince syn 16) which is the stated max tension. Presently I am using the YT Prestige MP, which is an 18x20 pattern and is much more controllable. The downside is that the Prestige is tougher on the shoulder and elbow than the C10. I'd like to get back to the comfort of the C10's, but I need to come up with a string type / tension that would allow more control without making the leap to Poly which I'd like to avoid. I guess I could start cranking the tension higher and maybe trying a more low power syn or multi like MCS. Any ideas?

Ross K
01-31-2012, 05:53 AM
Reading back I'm surprised some find the C10 so weighty. It's all completely individual obviously, but I found the balance and weighting to be absolutely perfect. I couldn't quite hit the kind of ball I like - though a recent experiment I posted about with full poly strung very low was pretty successful. I also never quite got the serve pop I look for. But this racket, for me at least, swings like Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Lester Young and John Coltrane in one frame!:)

BillH
01-31-2012, 06:38 AM
Reading back I'm surprised some find the C10 so weighty. It's all completely individual obviously, but I found the balance and weighting to be absolutely perfect. I couldn't quite hit the kind of ball I like - though a recent experiment I posted about with full poly strung very low was pretty successful. I also never quite got the serve pop I look for. But this racket, for me at least, swings like Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Lester Young and John Coltrane in one frame!:)

I have to agree that the C10 swings very easy for a 12oz+ racquet. I've been stringing mine with NXT at 56 lbs and I can get plenty of pop on the ball with satisfactory control. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the C10 just feels perfect to me at this point - I know its all a matter of personal preference and I'm certainly not saying everyone should think like me. I'm just saying that I'm glad I came back to this racquet after demoing it years ago. It may seem like a backward progression from 10VE mid to DNX10 to C10, but its one that suits me well.

Ross K
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I have to agree that the C10 swings very easy for a 12oz+ racquet. I've been stringing mine with NXT at 56 lbs and I can get plenty of pop on the ball with satisfactory control. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the C10 just feels perfect to me at this point - I know its all a matter of personal preference and I'm certainly not saying everyone should think like me. I'm just saying that I'm glad I came back to this racquet after demoing it years ago. It may seem like a backward progression from 10VE mid to DNX10 to C10, but its one that suits me well.

How does NXT play/feel in the C10? Also, what type of game do you play (ie, b-liner, all courter, etc.)

fuzz nation
01-31-2012, 01:54 PM
When I'm keeping up a more regular schedule in the late spring and summer, I play at a 4.5 level. Right now though, I'm getting over one of those colds that really hung on for a couple of weeks. Tomorrow night with my indoor doub's group will be a bit sketchy for sure.

I've always been used to heavier racquets, especially when I go to the net. If my gear isn't heavy enough to feel stable for me, I have a tough time imposing my will when I move forward. I appreciate that a lighter racquet could perhaps more readily yield a higher swing speed and maybe some greater spin potential, but that stability remains an essential for me.

One other frame that I'm seriously curious about is the Yonex RD Ti-80. From what I've gathered around here, that racquet might have a lot of the same upside that I've enjoyed with the C10, but without the tip-dead personality. Their RDS 002 Tour was a lot of fun for doubles or serve & volley singles, but didn't give me nearly the control and consistency with my strokes that I've found with the Volkl. Not sure why I threw this log on the fire, but...

getsby
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
stream of consciousness, I'm sorry. I do not really understand, what does C10 Pro?

BillH
02-01-2012, 10:31 AM
How does NXT play/feel in the C10? Also, what type of game do you play (ie, b-liner, all courter, etc.)

I grew up using gut and I've always enjoyed that feel. I used hybrid in the 10VE mid for some time and understand the attraction many have for that set-up. However, I occasionally have some wrist issues (not actually related to tennis but affecting my tennis) and decided to try a full bed of NXT a year or so ago. I enjoy the feel of the ball, the pop I can get on hard shots, and the action I seem to get with NXT on serves. I primarily am a baseliner when playing singles and rely upon a big serve and forehand and I hit a 1hbh. However, I play more doubles than singles so spend time at the net also. I use 18 gauge NXT at approx 56 lbs in the C10. The 18 gauge provides a great feel and because I hit fairly flat does not wear out as fast as with other players.

getsby
02-01-2012, 10:56 AM
a question for those who tried C10 Pro and BB Melbourne-head shape closed?