PDA

View Full Version : Yonex = Not Aerodynamic?

tendat
01-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I have a yonex vcore 98d was was just wondering in general, if Yoenx's isometric head shape hinders aerodynamic potential. i feel that a square head shape is less aerodynamic than the other shapes out there (teardrop n rounded.) i guess yonex tried to deal with this by rounding out the head shape with the rqis series. i feel that babolat is the most aerodynamic with its Aero tech. what is the least aerodynamic racket and what is the most? thx

ollinger
01-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Aerodynamics is not intuitive, so your hunches are bound to be meaningless. For example, why do commercial airliners have rounded noses and jet fighters pointed ones? (Because at subsonic speeds, rounded is more aerodynamic, but not at supersonic speeds). As for Yonex, the fact that the leading edge of the racquet in motion is straighter rather than more curved may not be important, because the trailing surface is just as important for aerodynamic drag, and the trailing edge of a Yonex (analagous to the squared-off trailing edge, i.e. the rear, of a race car) may be more aerodynamic (squared-off trailing surfaces tend to produce less wake turbulence, as on boats which are pointy in the front but squared off in the back). Got it? What you "feel" about what is more aerodynamic cannot be trusted to be true.

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Aerodynamics in tennis racquets gives you 0 performance, it is too short of a distance and time for racquet "X" to be faster than racquet "Z" , in this case weight/ swing weight/ balance are more relevant to speed than aerodynamic drag design.

It is your own technique that gives you the feel the racquet is slow and what not.

corners
01-29-2012, 12:33 PM
I think the sound is a big factor in leading people to believe that aerodynamics is a big factor. Box booms "whoosh" and rounded beams "zip" through the air, and Prince's frames make even less noise. It would be nice if someone did an experiment and put the aerodynamics question to rest.

dekko1
01-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Aerodynamics is not intuitive, so your hunches are bound to be meaningless. For example, why do commercial airliners have rounded noses and jet fighters pointed ones? (Because at subsonic speeds, rounded is more aerodynamic, but not at supersonic speeds). As for Yonex, the fact that the leading edge of the racquet in motion is straighter rather than more curved may not be important, because the trailing surface is just as important for aerodynamic drag, and the trailing edge of a Yonex (analagous to the squared-off trailing edge, i.e. the rear, of a race car) may be more aerodynamic (squared-off trailing surfaces tend to produce less wake turbulence, as on boats which are pointy in the front but squared off in the back). Got it? What you "feel" about what is more aerodynamic cannot be trusted to be true.

Good post.

Bartelby
01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
I don't know what effect aerodynamics have, but apart from aero and o-ports there's hardly another company that worries about them more in beam design.

Yonex are always tweaking either the throat or hoop in terms of shape and materials. Whether that is to compensate for the isometric head or to further enhance it I don't know, of course.

Chyeaah
01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Just to let you know The fact that one makes a louder sound when you swing it doesn't make it more or less easier to swing. Your ears are tricking you, unless you have a 1000fps camera you won't notice much difference.

My 100S makes a quiter sound swinging it compared to the Pro Open, doesn't make it swing any faster or slower.

6-2/6-4/6-0
01-29-2012, 04:56 PM
The greatest source of aerodynamic drag with a racket is the stringbed. The difference from one strung frame to another is minimal and any aero benefit in one vector is offset by the detriment in another vector... The ultimate aero tennis racket would have a nearly round ovoid beam and have the minimal chord lengths necessary for structural integrity. Reducing the skin friction and effective frontal area are your best ways to deduce drag when you consider the dynamics of a swinging racket.

Tennishacker
01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't know what effect aerodynamics have, but apart from aero and o-ports there's hardly another company that worries about them more in beam design.

Yonex are always tweaking either the throat or hoop in terms of shape and materials. Whether that is to compensate for the isometric head or to further enhance it I don't know, of course.

I'm fairly confident that Yonex tweaked the head design for Wozi and Ana.
Wozi, prior to playing yonex, played a "rounded" babolat. As for Ana, she played with a Wilson prior to Yonex, but maybe her results in matches caused Yonex to "round out" her frame also.

vsbabolat
01-29-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm fairly confident that Yonex tweaked the head design for Wozi and Ana.
Wozi, prior to playing yonex, played a "rounded" babolat. As for Ana, she played with a Wilson prior to Yonex, but maybe her results in matches caused Yonex to "round out" her frame also.

Ana's results are not the racquets fault nor is the yips on her serve and toss.

Tennishacker
01-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Ana's results are not the racquets fault nor is the yips on her serve and toss.

Why is the new E-ZONE Ti less isometric than the older E-ZONE 100?

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Well, speaking as someone who had just switcehd from Dunlop 'aeroskin' BIOs to a V-Core I have to say I can't tell any difference in 'aerodynamics' at all and I swing pretty fast...

6-2/6-4/6-0
01-29-2012, 07:06 PM
That's because the aero skin is a benefit when you have attached airflow. The shape of the Dunlop beam is such that you really aren't going to have significant attached airflow to feel a real world difference.

KenC
01-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Of all the factors that really count in a racquet choice, aerodynamics should be way down on the list. Look at the king of aerodynamics, the APDGT. In making all that monster topspin by swinging from low to high, how much more drag is that 25mm head beam having versus a 17mm beam? Even the throat area is much bigger, and probably less aerodynamic, than a smaller beamed racquet like the BLX90. In fact, I would be willing to bet that the BLX90, with its smaller head and smaller beams, is actually more aerodynamic than the APDGT.

What good is an aerodynamic racquet if it has too high of a swingweight and is head heavy? Swingweight and balance will influence racquet head speed way more than any technology to reduce drag.

In D Zone
01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
It's all in your head.... NO?

vsbabolat
01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Why is the new E-ZONE Ti less isometric than the older E-ZONE 100?

She never really used the E-Zone 100. It was a paint job. Second she won the 2008 French Open with the Yonex isometric head shape RQiS 1 Tour. Since the 2008 French Open win Ana has played poorly to no fault of the racquet. As far as why Yonex designs their racquets the way they do. I will refer you to Yonex.