View Full Version : Comparison

TennisCanada1
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
I have a quick clip from last week.
I cleaned up the forehand, etc..

December 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlTmSc2TquQ

Now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTxIoIayfaw&context=C3c00560ADOEgsToPDskLGxibZq5ntJ5i0ltDvQSv8

Limpinhitter
01-30-2012, 05:18 AM
It's hard to compare without seeing the ball flight. It looks (and sounds), like you're hitting more topspin now. But, your rallies seemed much longer in your first video.

wings56
01-30-2012, 05:40 AM
stroke production looks much more fluid! very nice.

TennisCanada1
02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
It's hard to compare without seeing the ball flight. It looks (and sounds), like you're hitting more topspin now. But, your rallies seemed much longer in your first video.

I was playing with the 3rd ranked Canadian in the first video, while I was playing with a recreational club member in the second video, so there were more errors by my opponent.

gindyo
02-01-2012, 01:03 PM
"Now" looks much much better. You completely changed your back-swing generating smoother effortless power. keep up the good work. BH looks the same - solid

Limpinhitter
02-01-2012, 04:30 PM
I was playing with the 3rd ranked Canadian in the first video, while I was playing with a recreational club member in the second video, so there were more errors by my opponent.

Yes, I did notice how rock solid and steady your hitting partner was in the cross court backhand drill in the first video. You were hitting very well, but, some of your shots did stray from the cross court corner a bit. His shots all seemed to land within a 3-4 foot area. He was well within himself in that drill.

BaboFan
02-01-2012, 04:32 PM
looks good to me

02-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Much better job on the Fh of getting the hand back and down below the ball.
In the first vid, you hardly took the hand back.
Seems you might still could work on how you drag the racket to contact.
Hard to see in your vid, but looks like you try to keep the racket aligned with your Forearm instead of laid back in a V.

Cheetah
02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
nice improvement. looks much better. if you want a tip i'd say try to not stop your racket in your backswing. lots of people do this but for some free extra power you should take you racket back, move it to the pat the dog position ,like you are doing currently, and swing all in one motion. no pausing. this will give you added momentum for more power and also will be easier on your arm because you don't have to stop, hold the racket there and then start again. another benefit is it will allow your arm to be more loose which is good for power and control. it's hard to learn if you dont do it already but it will allow you to hit a better shot.

02-01-2012, 07:19 PM
nice improvement. looks much better. if you want a tip i'd say try to not stop your racket in your backswing. lots of people do this but for some free extra power you should take you racket back, move it to the pat the dog position ,like you are doing currently, and swing all in one motion. no pausing. this will give you added momentum for more power and also will be easier on your arm because you don't have to stop, hold the racket there and then start again. another benefit is it will allow your arm to be more loose which is good for power and control. it's hard to learn if you dont do it already but it will allow you to hit a better shot.

good point.
I would be good to stay in the stalking ( left hand still on the throat) position longer, the start the tk back for continuous motion.
I do think this is related to my comment about how to lay the racket back. He may be stopping to try and align the racket more with his forearm.

BU-Tennis
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
You need to get under the ball more on your forehand, and keep a fluid motion throughout the whole stroke. Once your off-hand releases the racket it should not stop until the finish. Also, you need to relax your wrist a lot more, this will help with power and topspin...think of pointing the butt of your racket at the incoming ball...and if you relax your arm and keep a fluid motion this should happen almost instantly.

Also, on your forehand side, you tend to fall a little to the right, which means you're not getting a solid weight transfer which will also help in the production of more topspin.

Your backhand is very good, you use your left arm very well and drive through the ball. Just like with your forehand though, it seems a little mechanical, and most of your shots seems relatively flat, and it looked like several were missing long by a few inches. Try getting under it more and working on a nice topspin ball.

Your volleys are solid as well, but you seem a little lazy with the footwork, you have a tendency to get into position and then kind of "stop" with the feet rather than really stepping into the ball for added depth and control. But overall you catch them well in front of your body, especially the forehand. Overheads are good.

For the serve, you use your legs very little, this robs you over power, spin, accuracy, and most of all consistency. Start incorporating a deeper leg bend, which will at first mess with your timing, but it is essential, and one of those tennis "commonalities" that every great server does. Other than that, the serve looks really good, a nice ball toss at a good height and in a consistent spot, solid trophy position...just work on exploding with the legs a little more and it will be even better.

Now, I watched your match video, and its nice to see you start off with a serve and volley, and even though the point went your way, you had no split step at all, and if that return would have been better, or say your serve a half a foot to the left, you could have had a ball coming right at you and would not have been able to get out of the way...so always make sure to split step when serve and volleying right as your opponent hits the ball even if you only get to take one step and then split, it will pay off in the end. You did serve and volley a second time and had more of a stutter-step in there, which was better than the first, but the trick is you should be able to slow your body down enough so you can go left, right, or forward, but not so much as you have to get the momentum going again.

Overall, a very solid player, I think your biggest issues will be to try and put some more variety into your groundstrokes using different spins and paces so you're not giving your opponent the same look every time.

TennisCanada1
02-02-2012, 02:35 PM
You need to get under the ball more on your forehand, and keep a fluid motion throughout the whole stroke. Once your off-hand releases the racket it should not stop until the finish. Also, you need to relax your wrist a lot more, this will help with power and topspin...think of pointing the butt of your racket at the incoming ball...and if you relax your arm and keep a fluid motion this should happen almost instantly.

Also, on your forehand side, you tend to fall a little to the right, which means you're not getting a solid weight transfer which will also help in the production of more topspin.

Your backhand is very good, you use your left arm very well and drive through the ball. Just like with your forehand though, it seems a little mechanical, and most of your shots seems relatively flat, and it looked like several were missing long by a few inches. Try getting under it more and working on a nice topspin ball.

Your volleys are solid as well, but you seem a little lazy with the footwork, you have a tendency to get into position and then kind of "stop" with the feet rather than really stepping into the ball for added depth and control. But overall you catch them well in front of your body, especially the forehand. Overheads are good.

For the serve, you use your legs very little, this robs you over power, spin, accuracy, and most of all consistency. Start incorporating a deeper leg bend, which will at first mess with your timing, but it is essential, and one of those tennis "commonalities" that every great server does. Other than that, the serve looks really good, a nice ball toss at a good height and in a consistent spot, solid trophy position...just work on exploding with the legs a little more and it will be even better.

Now, I watched your match video, and its nice to see you start off with a serve and volley, and even though the point went your way, you had no split step at all, and if that return would have been better, or say your serve a half a foot to the left, you could have had a ball coming right at you and would not have been able to get out of the way...so always make sure to split step when serve and volleying right as your opponent hits the ball even if you only get to take one step and then split, it will pay off in the end. You did serve and volley a second time and had more of a stutter-step in there, which was better than the first, but the trick is you should be able to slow your body down enough so you can go left, right, or forward, but not so much as you have to get the momentum going again.

Overall, a very solid player, I think your biggest issues will be to try and put some more variety into your groundstrokes using different spins and paces so you're not giving your opponent the same look every time.

the matchplay is from a very long time ago. I'm doing a new video now. I appreciate the advice. will post it soon

ace_pace
02-05-2012, 04:37 AM
Hmm yeah they've pretty much got down things I was going to say about your forehand. It looks awkward when you stop during your swing. Note that the old thought of preparing early before you swing to the ball isnt wrong, its just that the pros nowadays use a deliberately 'delayed' swing so that they swing in one continuous motion and get the most out their swing.

For example, as off now you are swinging like David Ferrer. He seems to stop his swing a little bit before swinging forward, hence why his shots are usually weak in comparison to the other top 10 players.