PDA

View Full Version : Impressions of Head Youtek IG Radical MP

parasailing
01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
I got a chance to hit with this racquet from TW demo and I must say, I like what IG does to this particular racquet.

The addition of IG material softens up the frame and it feels more solid compared to the predecessor Rad MP. On ground strokes, it has a very nice solid feel which striking balls. I always like the Rad MP line and with IG, Head did a good job by actually improving the feel of the racquet.

klementine79
01-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Parasailing,

You say the IGRad feels softer, yet more solid. The Yt felt solid but played way stiffer than any other Rad I've hit. Can you say something about the flex of the frame. Everyone's got it at 62 but comment on that 'radical flex'. While in comparison, the YtRad had a 59 flex, yet everyone agreed on the added stiffness. :confused:

---------------------

Don't want to start a new thread. I asked this question in a separate thread but this seems to be the more appropriate place.

But has anyone cap'd the IGRad successfully?

parasailing
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I have both the Radical Microgel and Youtek Radical MP racquets and I understand it is confusing. I think you can't just depend on specs alone as there are a few other factors such as string and tension.

I didn't get a chance with the TW demo to use my personal string but I have used Head FXP string before so I do know it's a decent one. The biggest thing is sometimes a spec says it is soft yet when you hit with it, it feels stiffer. I have noticed this on a few racquets I have tried hence you need to demo and find the one that works for you.

What I say is stiffer might be acceptable for you since we are talking about a 10% difference at most between the 3 racquets.

I would say the IG reduces the ping sound but still retains the solid feel. The Youtek Rad MP is a good racquet just that IG seems to have reduce some of the ping from it.

I didn't like the Microgel Rad MP mainly because it had the most ping of all three even when I put a dampener on the racquet even though people say it is the least stiff of the 3 racquets.

JackB1
01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
grabbed a demo of this today and it felt great hitting against the wall for 15 min. Swingweight measured 325 which is perfect for me and it felt very solid on impact...not too flexy and not too stiff. Nice pocketing effect and dwell time. My demo has Sonic Pro mains with FXP tour crosses and it feels like a nice combo...not harsh at all. The soft FXP tour crosses really soften up the poly mains.

Can't wait to playtest this one out. I usually prefer open patterns, but the 18x20 here looks pretty open in the center. I will have to see if I can still get sufficient topspin and slice.

p.s. I checked the Rad Pro on the machine and it was 338 swingweight! Yikes!