PDA

View Full Version : Something a little lighter thana 6.1 BLX 95?

heninfan99
01-30-2012, 04:41 AM
Love my 6.1 BLX 95 but it's just a little too heavy. Anyone had the same problem? At what swing weight does plow through begin to happen?

I'm demoing the Prestige mid & MP and also want to try the Prince Diablo 93.
I need plow through but I also need to be able to whip the racquet around a bit.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

cltennis21
01-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Try the new Wilson prostaff blx 6.1 95 a lot lighter and swings lighter so you can also add a good amount of lead tape too it of desired.

heninfan99
01-30-2012, 05:19 AM
I'll try it out. I hit with this for like 5 minutes. It felt way too light but not enough time with it. Will try again and imagine lead. Thanks.

Try the new Wilson prostaff blx 6.1 95 a lot lighter and swings lighter so you can also add a good amount of lead tape too it of desired.

trilix
01-30-2012, 06:05 AM
If applicable you could try the following tips:

- Remove grip and overgrip and only use a few light overgrips (example wilson pro overgrip, vs babolat). Make sure to put them on tight and cut off remains.
- Remove the damper = saves 2g

I removed a synthetic grip of my PS 85 and used 4 overgrips, and this was still much lighter. (p.s. First I tried 2 overgrips, but this was too small for me, when playing 2 matches on one day).

grtz

Power Player
01-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Get the Tecnifibre Tfight 320. That is the best alternative option. There are just not many sticks like the 6.1 95 to be honest. The Tfight hits with massive spin, but you will lose a little raw crushing power.

fuzz nation
01-30-2012, 07:13 AM
Do you have any familiarity with the balance that your prefer in your racquets? If you need that BLX to be more maneuverable, you can add some weight to the handle so that the balance of the frame is more head-light. Since the added weight is under your hand, it shouldn't give you anywhere near the impression of swinging a heavier racquet as you'd typically experience if you put some lead up on your hoop.

Since the balance of the racquet shifts to a more HL layout by adding handle weight, the "plow-through" remains pretty much the same because you haven't removed any heft from up on the head. If the only problem you have with your racquet is its maneuverability, this tuning option could be all that you need.

While I respect the idea behind listing swing-weights in different racquets, that number isn't much help to me on its own. I'm usually better off knowing the static weight and balance of a racquet so that I can better predict both its stability and maneuverability. If I put those spec's together with the flex rating of the racquet, I can get a very good picture of how it will handle and perform for me. If you don't pay much attention to those numbers in your own gear, I definitely recommend that you keep track of them to help with finding your best layout.

tlm
01-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Try finding the same racket in the asian version.

Edo
01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
yeah, try the asian version (which is available regularly in europe, it's called blx 6.1 95 limited edition 309 gr.)

heninfan99
01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Interestingly the static weight of the BLX 6.1 95 is lighter than the 90 but I found the 90 easier to swing. I'm assuming the balance is similar but maybe not. Good info. Thanks!

Do you have any familiarity with the balance that your prefer in your racquets? If you need that BLX to be more maneuverable, you can add some weight to the handle so that the balance of the frame is more head-light. Since the added weight is under your hand, it shouldn't give you anywhere near the impression of swinging a heavier racquet as you'd typically experience if you put some lead up on your hoop.

Since the balance of the racquet shifts to a more HL layout by adding handle weight, the "plow-through" remains pretty much the same because you haven't removed any heft from up on the head. If the only problem you have with your racquet is its maneuverability, this tuning option could be all that you need.

While I respect the idea behind listing swing-weights in different racquets, that number isn't much help to me on its own. I'm usually better off knowing the static weight and balance of a racquet so that I can better predict both its stability and maneuverability. If I put those spec's together with the flex rating of the racquet, I can get a very good picture of how it will handle and perform for me. If you don't pay much attention to those numbers in your own gear, I definitely recommend that you keep track of them to help with finding your best layout.

Fed Kennedy
01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Get the team version and customize to your taste.

UCSF2012
01-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Try strength and conditioning instead of switching to a racket that allows you to be weak and puny.

Xizel
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Try strength and conditioning instead of switching to a racket that allows you to be weak and puny.

Be realistic. Unless I'm competing, I'd rather enjoy the hit right now and here rather than train to even be able to do that.

UCSF2012
01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Be realistic. Unless I'm competing, I'd rather enjoy the hit right now and here rather than train to even be able to do that.

Would you like us to make the court smaller, so you don't have to run as far? Or play a pro set instead of best of three? This is sports. You have to get the heart pumping and the muscles strong. Girls can swing the 6.1 95 (Carol of TW). Older men can swing the 6.1 95 (Granville).

bluetrain4
01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
The updated BLX 6.1 95 is more headlight and the swing weight has come down from 335ish to 324ish. It really is easier swinging and more maneuverable. I play tested it and this was my first impression. So, if you really like the 6.1s but want something that is a bit more user friendly, this could be it.

There's no new name. It's just the BLX 6.1 95 2012. It has been released in Europe, so if you want to look at the specs, check out Tennis Warehouse - Europe website.

It's scheduled for U.S. release in the middle or end of February, I think.

Xizel
01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Would you like us to make the court smaller, so you don't have to run as far? Or play a pro set instead of best of three? This is sports. You have to get the heart pumping and the muscles strong. Girls can swing the 6.1 95 (Carol of TW). Older men can swing the 6.1 95 (Granville).

I'm a competing junior, so it's really not an issue for me, but honestly, each one of those pose very little a problem, but when together, it is a daunting task to do all of that and swing a 12+ oz racquet (which I do, with poly) in the heat if you live in more extreme weather conditions. Settle for the 11 oz range, which is still decent compared to the true weaklings of these days who swing 9-10 oz sticks.

UCSF2012
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm a competing junior, so it's really not an issue for me, but honestly, each one of those pose very little a problem, but when together, it is a daunting task to do all of that and swing a 12+ oz racquet (which I do, with poly) in the heat if you live in more extreme weather conditions. Settle for the 11 oz range, which is still decent compared to the true weaklings of these days who swing 9-10 oz sticks.

Then you of all people should know the value of training. A tennis ball is best struck with a 12+ oz racket. It's also safest for your arm to hit with a heavier racket. Besides, you're not really "swinging" the racket as much as you're rotating your body/arm and blocking the ball.

Ronaldo
01-30-2012, 09:33 PM
Demo the Slazenger Pro Braided.

ICanBeSerious
01-31-2012, 03:31 AM
The updated BLX 6.1 95 is more headlight and the swing weight has come down from 335ish to 324ish. It really is easier swinging and more maneuverable. I play tested it and this was my first impression. So, if you really like the 6.1s but want something that is a bit more user friendly, this could be it.

There's no new name. It's just the BLX 6.1 95 2012. It has been released in Europe, so if you want to look at the specs, check out Tennis Warehouse - Europe website.

It's scheduled for U.S. release in the middle or end of February, I think.

I agree with that. I own the old BLX 6.1 95 and i just bought the new 2012.
Very noticeable difference in swingweight, easier swings and a tiny bit more flexibility.

heninfan99
01-31-2012, 04:43 AM
Well, if the new BLX 95 (not the box beam one) is a little lighter I will demo that too. I held the Prestige MP yesterday and it felt great. Will hit with it tonight. If it has plow through it would be a winner though I prefer the Wilson grip shape.

heninfan99
01-31-2012, 04:46 AM
When you get older and play many hours of doubles without hitting the weight room regularly an 11.9 stick just might be the sweet spot. I'll see tonight.

But if you could make the court smaller that would be great too. Tanx.

Then you of all people should know the value of training. A tennis ball is best struck with a 12+ oz racket. It's also safest for your arm to hit with a heavier racket. Besides, you're not really "swinging" the racket as much as you're rotating your body/arm and blocking the ball.

heninfan99
01-31-2012, 06:50 PM
I hit with the new Prestige MP tonight. It felt great but the plow through was right on the cusp, maybe a little low. I will continue to test it. I found it hard to get pace with it on serves but placement was good.. The volleys were pretty crisp. This could be a winner. I'm thinking this or the PS 90 Asian version.

Interestingly someone had the last version of the Prestige MP and it felt noticeably heavier than the new version I'm demoing.

Xizel
01-31-2012, 07:22 PM
I hit with the new Prestige MP tonight. It felt great but the plow through was right on the cusp, maybe a little low. I will continue to test it. I found it hard to get pace with it on serves but placement was good.. The volleys were pretty crisp. This could be a winner. I'm thinking this or the PS 90 Asian version.

Interestingly someone had the last version of the Prestige MP and it felt noticeably heavier than the new version I'm demoing.

The last generation had more mass in the head (TW shows the SW as 318 vs 310 for the new IG). I always thought Prestiges needed lead in the head (I prefer 340 SW, at the very least 325+), so consider a tiny amount of lead work.

heninfan99
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Ahhh. Good info. Tanx.

The last generation had more mass in the head (TW shows the SW as 318 vs 310 for the new IG). I always thought Prestiges needed lead in the head (I prefer 340 SW, at the very least 325+), so consider a tiny amount of lead work.

jgreen06
02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Love my 6.1 BLX 95 but it's just a little too heavy. Anyone had the same problem? At what swing weight does plow through begin to happen?

I need plow through but I also need to be able to whip the racquet around a bit.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

^ Amen to that... Ive been trying to switch from my hps 6.1s for years and wilson keeps putting out these 6.1 battleaxes. Maybe these new 6.1s will be more like the old hps....

As for recommendations, I would say tecnifibre 320 or 325, either new or old prince rebel, bab storm tour

fuzz nation
02-02-2012, 05:37 AM
When you get older and play many hours of doubles without hitting the weight room regularly an 11.9 stick just might be the sweet spot. I'll see tonight.

But if you could make the court smaller that would be great too. Tanx.

Unless you have some sort of funky Yonex allergy, you might want to get a look at their VCore 95 D (speaking of 11.9 oz. frames).

Funny - I'm pretty big on heavier, more stable frames myself, but I also love having an alternative in my bag when I don't have all my mojo. I got back out with my doub's group last night after being laid up for a month and those "rust never sleeps" rumors apparently still hold true.

My go-to racquets are my Volkl C10's, but after two sets of just clumsy, hot and cold playing, I swapped over to my mildly lighter Prince Hybrid Tour. It was plainly easier to get my racquet on the ball and the extra couple notches worth of stiffness were really nice for punching the ball around the court, too. Not that this proved anything, but for me it reinforced the popular advice of playing with the heaviest frame that you can use well. No shame in going leaner if that's where you find the best fit.

Power Player
02-02-2012, 05:55 AM
I agree with that. I own the old BLX 6.1 95 and i just bought the new 2012.
Very noticeable difference in swingweight, easier swings and a tiny bit more flexibility.

You have the new one already? Very interesting. This could be the goat stick if what you are saying is true.

I did play the demo and loved it, but it has been a while so I can't A/B it to my BLX's.

TennisCJC
02-02-2012, 08:11 AM

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Try the new Volkl O10 line - either a stock 325 or a customized 295. They are 16x19, 20 mm thin beam, crisp like a Wilson, but no vibrations and good shaft flex like a volkl. Torsional stability is 2nd to none - look at TW stats on twist weight in TW Univerity power zone page - stock twist weight is 13.4 g - pretty high.

I played the blx 6.1 95 16x18 for a year or so and transitioned to a customized Volkl o10 295. Customized to 12 oz, 335+SW, 5 HL and it plays as strong and stable as the wilson but it is .5 oz light - wilson blx 6.1 95 was 12.5 with vibration dampener and overgrip. I could take weight off the handle and probably get to 11.7 oz, sw 335+, 4 HL with overgrip and dampener. But, 12 oz seems quick enough for me.

heninfan99
02-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Interesting. I do like Volkl, well, I liked the BB Pro when I demo'd it.
Try the new Volkl O10 line - either a stock 325 or a customized 295. They are 16x19, 20 mm thin beam, crisp like a Wilson, but no vibrations and good shaft flex like a volkl. Torsional stability is 2nd to none - look at TW stats on twist weight in TW Univerity power zone page - stock twist weight is 13.4 g - pretty high.

I played the blx 6.1 95 16x18 for a year or so and transitioned to a customized Volkl o10 295. Customized to 12 oz, 335+SW, 5 HL and it plays as strong and stable as the wilson but it is .5 oz light - wilson blx 6.1 95 was 12.5 with vibration dampener and overgrip. I could take weight off the handle and probably get to 11.7 oz, sw 335+, 4 HL with overgrip and dampener. But, 12 oz seems quick enough for me.