serve
slice serve
kick serve
dropshit
lob (slice and topspin)

I want an aggressive all court game similar to federer

LeeD
01-30-2012, 01:57 PM
IF you had the talent, the coaching, the court time, and the inclination (which VERY FEW people have), maybe 14 years of 6 day a week, 5 hour a day practice and match play with 3 day time off periods as you need them, hopefully less than 4 times a year.

esgee48
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
LeeD: You are stating what it would take the OP to learn to execute the shots consistently. I agree with what you say, but to actually learn how to hit the shot (maybe not well) would take less than 2-3 days.

LeeD
01-30-2012, 06:15 PM
If leaning to hit ONE shot like the pros is the goal, you are correct.
But tennis is more than hitting ONE shot once.

gregor.b
01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Hopefully not too long because I am about to embark on a journey of learning the 2 hbh and am coming from the 1hbh due to injuries.

Limpinhitter
01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
To learn a flat powerful forehand- that I would like to hit most
topspin forehand- for cross court angles
1 hand backhand
slice forehand
slice backhand
volley
serve
slice serve
kick serve
dropshit
lob (slice and topspin)

Hahahaha! Too late! You have to start before you're old enough to type. And, you have to have once in a decade natural talent. But, if you are looking to be a competitive club level player, with hard work, dedication, some natural athleticism and good coaching, you could be there in 2 years. In 5 years, you could be a competitive age appropriate men's tournament player.

Fuji
01-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Meh I can do everything on your list, and I've been attempting to do all of it for around the last 5 years. Pretty simple with enough practice, (not trying to sound condescending to anyone,) It just takes a lot of time, and a lot of practice to do it all consistently. Pro level however, is near impossible however! ;)

-Fuji

Fuji
01-31-2012, 12:00 AM
I'd just like to point out also, that the kick serve is going to be the hardest thing to learn on your list. A lot of mid to high level players find it the most difficult and physically demanding shot. Not for the feint of heart, or the weak back/shoulders. Make sure to get some good coaching when learning that one!

-Fuji

NLBwell
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
An infinite amount of time because there is an infinite number of variations of shots you can hit playing tennis.

Netspirit
01-31-2012, 12:30 AM
kick serve
dropshit
lob (slice and topspin)

Are you referring to the tweener there?

thug the bunny
01-31-2012, 05:52 AM
How long? Why does that matter? You sound like one of my kids. I would say 534 days, 7 hrs, 17 min and 46 sec.

Just enjoy the process.

WildVolley
01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Give me another 20 years of play and I'll tell you if I have them all by then.

Seriously, if you want to play like Federer, the answer is probably never. If you want to play a decent all court game, you can get there by doing a few years of dedicated practice. You'll need to make sure you are starting with the proper form from the beginning, practicing all aspects of your game and avoiding injury. If you just hit around on the weekends, it might take you decades or never happen.

NJ1
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
With individual lessons with a good coach and enough time (say 5 hrs coaching per week and another 5 practicing), you can get to a + amateur level inside one year on all the above shots provided you have some natural talent, fitness and coordination. The latter three are of course key and the reasons why the answers from poster to poster differ wildly.

tennismonkey
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
dropshit

that's one of the hardest shots in the game. you take a regular dropshot and multiply that by a factor of 6. bam.

tennis_balla
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Long enough to put some coaches kids through college

RF16A
01-31-2012, 10:51 AM
*dropshot sorry

Limpinhitter
01-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Long enough to put some coaches kids through college

Hahaha! Is that an offer?

tennis_balla
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Don't have any kids, yet...or that I know of.

Limpinhitter
01-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Don't have any kids, yet...or that I know of.

Or that you'll admit to! :wink: But, college is expensive. You can never start planning too soon.

TennisCJC
02-01-2012, 07:54 PM
It takes forever to learn all the shots.

02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Don't really know to what level you have in mind and
I don't know if we will ever see another with strokes
like Fed's (although another great always seems to
come along), but
I have a pilot friend that heard I was an instructor
and wanted to learn modern tennis. He bought one
of my old rackets (he didn't even own one) and in
less than about 8 lessons he was playing pretty
good tennis with nice modern strokes. He is 48 yrs
old too.

He plays good enough that I enjoy going out for a
hit with him and he can beat some of the local Jrs
for a set here and there. He clearly could compete
at 4.0 anywhere, although I suspect he lacks the
experience to win consistently.

equinox
02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I still can't hit a decent backhand or scissor kick smash.

Rickson
02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
A few months.