PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Drive Roddick GT (2012)

JDMasFCK
01-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I GOT IT! WOW is the word I would describe it. These are my initial thoughts, going to test it out some more and come back and revise this post.

INITIAL THOUGHTS

The cosmetics are AMAZING! I strung it up with Genesis Black Magic 17G at 55LBS. I got to hit with it today for 30 mins before it got dark and it's AMAZING! Comfort wise... it was a little stiff, not too stiff to the point where it hurts my arm/elbow (it could be my string choice and tension, I'm going to lower the tension some more).

Serves: SERVES WAS AMAZING! I got SO much more power and spin compared to my Aero Storm Tour GT. My favorite part about this racket.

Groundstrokes It had it all, spin power and control, but only thing I can really complain is the stiffness, it's a lot less stiff compared to the previous version but compared to my Aero Storm Tour GT, it's stiffer. But I'm going to be lowering the tension a little bit and trying different string setups.

Volleys: Volleys are AMAZING so crisp at the net, can easily put them away with ease.

OVERALL: I love this racket, but I'm going to test it out some more and come back and revise this post, but so far I'm loving it, can't really say anything bad about the racket.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7027/6792993051_0ea06631e8_z.jpg
- Taken from my cellphone

redbirdone
01-30-2012, 06:20 PM
What were you using before, for comparison? Both racquet and strings? What's your rating and style?

JDMasFCK
01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
What were you using before, for comparison? Both racquet and strings? What's your rating and style?

Aero Storm Tour GT, VS 16G in mains/ RPM 17G in cross @ 54LBS.

4.5 and baseliner

Nostradamus
01-30-2012, 07:04 PM
TW stiffness rating still say 71. That sounds pretty stiff to me.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive_Roddick/descpageRCBAB-BPDR11.html

JDMasFCK
01-30-2012, 07:06 PM

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive_Roddick/descpageRCBAB-BPDR11.html

It's not that stiff (for me anyways) I actually prefer stiffer rackets.

Yourtenniscoach
01-30-2012, 07:09 PM

YES! It IS very stiff. My arm can handle most frames but it was way to much for me.

Nostradamus
01-30-2012, 07:15 PM
YES! It IS very stiff. My arm can handle most frames but it was way to much for me.

sounds like nothing really changed much. PUre drives always been a very stiff frame. I wonder if Roddick will really switch to this model ?

JDMasFCK
01-30-2012, 07:23 PM
sounds like nothing really changed much. PUre drives always been a very stiff frame. I wonder if Roddick will really switch to this model ?

He used it in OZ......

Teski
01-30-2012, 07:31 PM
He used it in OZ......

He uses the plus model.

JDMasFCK
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
He uses the plus model.

Yeah I know, I thought that's what the poster was referring to, not the standard length

drakulie
01-30-2012, 08:41 PM
every single player using this frame at the futures I just strung at stated it was exactly the same as the previous version, except it was much stiffer.

That said, the paintjob is beautiful ..

Nostradamus
01-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah I know, I thought that's what the poster was referring to, not the standard length

For real ? Roddick's been using the PJ for 5-6 years now.

Nostradamus
01-30-2012, 08:51 PM
every single player using this frame at the futures I just strung at stated it was exactly the same as the previous version, except it was much stiffer.

That said, the paintjob is beautiful ..

Now i am confused. You say 2012 versions are stiffer. and some people say they are more flexible and less powerful. Who is right ?

drakulie
01-30-2012, 08:57 PM
^^says the guys who was the number 1 junior in the world last year, another guy who was top 70, etc, etc.

Nostradamus
01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
^^says the guys who was the number 1 junior in the world last year, another guy who was top 70, etc, etc.

Does the same apply to regular pure drives too or only PD Roddick ?

drakulie
01-30-2012, 09:18 PM
pure drive and roddick. For the most part, they say it is the same, but stiffer.

Nostradamus
01-30-2012, 09:26 PM
pure drive and roddick. For the most part, they say it is the same, but stiffer.

Sorry but one last question. I am sure you noticed that TW swingweight on 2012 versions are lower by 10-12 points. Was this felt noticebly by the players ? I know that they add lead to the racket so it may not matter to them. but i wonder if the stock version's lower SW is noticeble or not ?

Teski
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
But stiffer doesn't necessarily mean more harsh.

drakulie
01-30-2012, 09:29 PM
^^actually a good question, however, they received the racquets already prepared for them with added weight, so I don't think they would have been able to tell.

Nostradamus
01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
But stiffer doesn't necessarily mean more harsh.

I agree, Teski. Babolat tells me that new cortex tech they have dampens the frame so well that you will almost feel like you are playing with flexible frame with little or no vibration.

richsox
01-31-2012, 01:19 AM
I've played both thus far 2012 Pure Drive regular length and 2012 PDR +

I found that the regular Pure Drive actually felt stiffer to me then the PDR+.

PDR+ is a rocket launcher, and I mean "ROCKET LAUNCHER" for serving

I found I preferred the PD over the PDR+ for ground strokes. It may be just me, but that extra 1/2 inch just seems to find me "jamemd" up sometimes - probably lazt footwork on my behalf.

Also access to spin on both is amazing!

2nd serve kickers with the PDR+ - is like the ball is kicking into the moon.

Go try this stick - I will buy to add to my PD regular just for sheer joy of serving with it

Hong
01-31-2012, 01:44 AM

PD and PDR are among my racquet choices. I played in high school and it's been over a decade since I've hit the ball around. I want to get back into the sport at least recreationally and I plan to take some lessons (at least now I can afford some). I don't want to buy a beginner's racquet just to out grow it quickly (at least I hope it's like riding a bike :). I need some help with power as I'm not a strong guy. Would you recommend the PDR for myself? String options would be natural gut or some durable multi.

drakulie
01-31-2012, 07:07 AM
PD and PDR are among my racquet choices. I played in high school and it's been over a decade since I've hit the ball around. I want to get back into the sport at least recreationally and I plan to take some lessons (at least now I can afford some). I don't want to buy a beginner's racquet just to out grow it quickly (at least I hope it's like riding a bike :). I need some help with power as I'm not a strong guy. Would you recommend the PDR for myself? String options would be natural gut or some durable multi.

Only one way to answer that........ go out and demo. Lot of people feel it is a great frame. Good luck, and welcome back to tennis! :)

Dude
03-04-2012, 10:55 AM
It's not that stiff (for me anyways) I actually prefer stiffer rackets.

I agree. The 2012 PDR feels significantly less stiff than the previous PDR GT.

Power Player
03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
I think it's the tech because I agree. But I'm using the regular pd plus and it is a hair less stiff than the roddicks according to the specs. The pd plus is the secret weapon out of all 4 sticks IMO, but only if you like the extended length.

mirceam
06-23-2013, 01:40 PM
i want to buy a second pure drive roddick. what would you remand . PDR GT or the PDR 2012? Should I go for the plus version ?

Lukhas
06-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Why the 'Plus" version? You'll get a bit more power thanks to better leverage, maybe slightly better reach, but will loose a bit manoeuvrability due to extended length and higher SW. I personally would buy the same as you already possess if it was a satisfying frame for you.

Nostradamus
06-23-2013, 02:35 PM
^^actually a good question, however, they received the racquets already prepared for them with added weight, so I don't think they would have been able to tell.

Drak, which racket do you prefer ? Pure drive 2012 or Aeropro drive 2013 ? and why ? Thanks