PDA

View Full Version : Youtek Radical Pro vs. Youtek IG Radical Pro

djnemo
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
My Game: 4.5, 2hbh, full western grip. Play with Youtek Radical Pro, stock.

First Impressions of the IG Radical Pro: The two main difference in spec that stood out to me were the balance, IG listed at 320 mm vs. 325 mm of the non-IG, and weight- IG 310 grams vs 315 grams for non-IG. I measured balance with overgrip/dampener and IG came in at 5 pts headlight, while my non-IG’s average 4 pts headlight. While both have 16x19 string patterns, the IG is noticeably tighter. The IG’s bottom cross is almost even with the non-IG’s second from the bottom cross- and same with the top cross as well. The result is that the IG is more like a 16x20 pattern IMO. The grip is synthetic leather, which I prefer to the leather of the non-IG.

Feel: The IG feels more muted on impact, with the non-IG feeling crisper. As for flex, the IG is rated as stiffer but I could not tell the difference. Perhaps the Innegra technology is the reason for the more muted feel?

Groundstrokes: The non-IG has more power, producing consistently more depth, and hits a heavier ball than the IG. The IG swings noticeably lighter, which helped when I was on the run but a little less stable on mishits. The IG's sweet spot felt a little lower than the non-IG. Topspin was about the same between the two.

Volleys: The IG shines here- perfect blend of maneuverability, stability, and pop. This was my favorite shot with the IG.

Return: Slight edge to the IG. Lighter but still enough power and stability to get the return back deep.

Serve: The IG was similar to the non-IG on spin serves. I served with more mph on the non-IG, and just a more heavy ball in general.

Conclusion: These racquets are not that different- I switched between them during a set and was dialed in within a few points. However, I am sticking with the non-IG and a big reason is the serve. I felt that the IG did not have enough mass for me to serve big and get enough free points. However, both models are great racquets and the IG is a must-demo for those that liked the balance of the non-IG but felt it was too heavy.

Lawn Tennis
02-25-2012, 06:17 AM
awesome! thanks for taking the time to write this and notify me of your post.

alidisperanza
02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Nice writeup. Exactly what I was looking for.

Yourtenniscoach
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
The Youtek and IG Radical Pros are totally different racquets. Its not like comparing the MP versions of both. The weight is much different as well. When compraring the two its best to look at them as two sperate frames, not as a new and older version of the same racquet. Just my two cents.

djnemo
02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
The Youtek and IG Radical Pros are totally different racquets. Its not like comparing the MP versions of both. The weight is much different as well. When compraring the two its best to look at them as two sperate frames, not as a new and older version of the same racquet. Just my two cents.

Agreed that these two racquets are separate frames with different specs. However, I demo racquets all the time, and I felt the performance between the two felt more similar then say comparing the rdis 200 or the PSTGT to the Rad Pro.

monomakh
02-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Conclusion: These racquets are not that different

I'm going to have to disagree with you there in your conclusion, though not necessarily the particulars - I feel the racquets are quite different from each other.

My game: High 4.0, 2hbh, sw fh, all courter, racquetholic but played exclusively with the YT Rad Pro for the past 9 months... and have switched to the IG Rad Pro (though, admittedly, it was a close call between this and the BLX 6.1 BLX). I'm a fit, strong guy, the static and swing weights are not really an issue.

My pre-RadPro racquet history (in reverse chron order): YT Prestige Pro, Speed 16x19, Volkl PB10 mid, Technifibre 320 VO2, ncode 6.1 95 16x18, Pro Staff Classic 6.1 95. Until the Radical Pros, I always went for 320g+ headlight player sticks. I was as surprised as anyone when the RadPro became my choice.

Methodology for comparison: as I've been exclusive with the YTRP for a long time, I know its characteristics exceedingly subjectively well. To ensure I was comparing apples:apples, I used the same strings at the same tensions between the two sticks (fully poly jobs of MSV Hepta, MSV Hex, Black Code, and a hybrid Black Code/natural gut).

Synopsis:
For my personal rating system, I use a 0-5 point rating (no half points) in the following categories:

Power Control Spin Feel Comfort Serves Groundies Volleys Overall

My ratings for the two:
YTRP: 5 3 4 4 5 5 4 4 4
IGRP: 4 5 4 4 5 4 4 5 4

My thoughts (I'll use the same categories):
Overall: Compared to the YT, the IG has less power but increased control. This is due to a variety of factors - decreased mass, tighter string spacing (smaller head size), lower swingweight, and all of the IG sticks I've played with (Speed, Prestige Pro, Rad Pro) are less powerful than previous iterations. I notice less spin and longer string life with the IG as well. My primary issue with the YT was keeping the ball from flying long. My primary issue with the IG is that it is maybe 5% less powerful making putaways slightly more difficult against good opponents. It's a tradeoff, but I prefer the IGRP. I think that Head finally got the RadPro right with the IGRP in balancing the flex/weight/player-ish type stick and it is my racquet of choice now.

Feel: both racquets have great, though distinct from other non-Rad racquets, feel. Over the past year, I've come to really appreciate the Rad feel, and now prefer it to the crisper, stiffer racquets, particularly on touch shots. While it does not have the traditional feel of, say, the Prestige line, I feel I am more connected to the ball and racquet than with any other stick. I am never surprised at where the ball is going and never guess how much of my power/touch is being translated (as opposed to the classic sticks where the response is consistent, but for me there is a disconnect, which is particularly noticeable on volleys. With the BLX, for example, I feel like I have stone hands when volleying whereas with the Rad Pros, I'm an artisan). Verdict: even

Groundies: First, both racquets are surprisingly powerful, but the YTRP is a cannon. The YT Rad Pro puts out a ridiculously heavy ball, if you can get the 350 swingweight around in time and fast enough. The IG has less easy power, though it does have a significant amount, but again has more control. Spin is close given the string pattern/swing speed tradeoff, but I'll give the edge to the YTRP by a hair. Emergency shots are slightly easier with the IG (again, because of swingweight), but there is more free power in the YT. It's a power/control tradeoff and depending on your style you may prefer one over the other. I won more points with IG, but I have to work harder. Verdict: even

Volleys: as djnemo says, the IG excels here. Control, power, and touch are fantastic and maneuverability is greatly improved over the YT. The 330ish swingweight is right in my sweetspot and consistent with classic player frames. YT has great touch, but less maneuverability. It's actually my favorite volleying stick ever, edging the PB10 mid. Verdict: edge IGRP

Returns: less power and lower swingweight = more returns in play with IG. Power is less of an issue as you are using the server's power against them. Both can paste shots, particularly flat ones, but I prefer the IG. YT's only clear advantage is with return power on flat shots at the full stretch as these are less likely to be easy putaways with the deeper return. Verdict: edge IGRP

Serve: again I agree with djnemo - the YTRP is a better serving stick. The only racquet that has serve power equivalent to the YTRP in my experience is the Bab Pure Drive Roddick, and the latter is too stiff for me. The IGRP is a good, but not great, serving stick. I have better placement with the IGRP, likely due to the faster swing speed from the lighter SW. While the IGRP has less power than the YTRP, it is at least as good as the other sticks I mention in my past and can be quite deadly. At worst, it's adequate. Verdict: edge YTRP

Overall: While I give them the same overall rating (4/5), the IGRP is the stick for me. It's as close as anything has come to being a perfect stick for me since the PB10 mid. I have not given any racquet a 5/5 for overall yet, but the IGRP is as close as I have come.

Wait, what am I saying? The IGRP is terrible. No one should use it. In fact, if you have one, you should immediately put it away and consider selling or trading it to a worthy home that just happens to be mine. I'm just sayin'

TaihtDuhShaat
03-01-2012, 05:01 AM
The higher the SW the easier the return of serve. It's as simple as the racquet head doesn't get pushed back as far.

alidisperanza
03-01-2012, 07:02 AM
The higher the SW the easier the return of serve. It's as simple as the racquet head doesn't get pushed back as far.

Depends on your ability really. If you're expecting the serve, absolutely. If you're not and you're adapting it's easier with a lighter/ lighter sw stick. I notice this difference a lot with very heavy kick serves. I seem to be able to return them effectively with my lighter 98s while my ball is no where near effective with the FXP tours (playing doubles)

alidisperanza
03-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Oh, and nice reviews mono

li0scc0
03-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with you there in your conclusion, though not necessarily the particulars - I feel the racquets are quite different from each other.

My game: High 4.0, 2hbh, sw fh, all courter, racquetholic but played exclusively with the YT Rad Pro for the past 9 months... and have switched to the IG Rad Pro (though, admittedly, it was a close call between this and the BLX 6.1 BLX). I'm a fit, strong guy, the static and swing weights are not really an issue.

My pre-RadPro racquet history (in reverse chron order): YT Prestige Pro, Speed 16x19, Volkl PB10 mid, Technifibre 320 VO2, ncode 6.1 95 16x18, Pro Staff Classic 6.1 95. Until the Radical Pros, I always went for 320g+ headlight player sticks. I was as surprised as anyone when the RadPro became my choice.

Methodology for comparison: as I've been exclusive with the YTRP for a long time, I know its characteristics exceedingly subjectively well. To ensure I was comparing apples:apples, I used the same strings at the same tensions between the two sticks (fully poly jobs of MSV Hepta, MSV Hex, Black Code, and a hybrid Black Code/natural gut).

Synopsis:
For my personal rating system, I use a 0-5 point rating (no half points) in the following categories:

Power Control Spin Feel Comfort Serves Groundies Volleys Overall

My ratings for the two:
YTRP: 5 3 4 4 5 5 4 4 4
IGRP: 4 5 4 4 5 4 4 5 4

My thoughts (I'll use the same categories):
Overall: Compared to the YT, the IG has less power but increased control. This is due to a variety of factors - decreased mass, tighter string spacing (smaller head size), lower swingweight, and all of the IG sticks I've played with (Speed, Prestige Pro, Rad Pro) are less powerful than previous iterations. I notice less spin and longer string life with the IG as well. My primary issue with the YT was keeping the ball from flying long. My primary issue with the IG is that it is maybe 5% less powerful making putaways slightly more difficult against good opponents. It's a tradeoff, but I prefer the IGRP. I think that Head finally got the RadPro right with the IGRP in balancing the flex/weight/player-ish type stick and it is my racquet of choice now.

Feel: both racquets have great, though distinct from other non-Rad racquets, feel. Over the past year, I've come to really appreciate the Rad feel, and now prefer it to the crisper, stiffer racquets, particularly on touch shots. While it does not have the traditional feel of, say, the Prestige line, I feel I am more connected to the ball and racquet than with any other stick. I am never surprised at where the ball is going and never guess how much of my power/touch is being translated (as opposed to the classic sticks where the response is consistent, but for me there is a disconnect, which is particularly noticeable on volleys. With the BLX, for example, I feel like I have stone hands when volleying whereas with the Rad Pros, I'm an artisan). Verdict: even

Groundies: First, both racquets are surprisingly powerful, but the YTRP is a cannon. The YT Rad Pro puts out a ridiculously heavy ball, if you can get the 350 swingweight around in time and fast enough. The IG has less easy power, though it does have a significant amount, but again has more control. Spin is close given the string pattern/swing speed tradeoff, but I'll give the edge to the YTRP by a hair. Emergency shots are slightly easier with the IG (again, because of swingweight), but there is more free power in the YT. It's a power/control tradeoff and depending on your style you may prefer one over the other. I won more points with IG, but I have to work harder. Verdict: even

Volleys: as djnemo says, the IG excels here. Control, power, and touch are fantastic and maneuverability is greatly improved over the YT. The 330ish swingweight is right in my sweetspot and consistent with classic player frames. YT has great touch, but less maneuverability. It's actually my favorite volleying stick ever, edging the PB10 mid. Verdict: edge IGRP

Returns: less power and lower swingweight = more returns in play with IG. Power is less of an issue as you are using the server's power against them. Both can paste shots, particularly flat ones, but I prefer the IG. YT's only clear advantage is with return power on flat shots at the full stretch as these are less likely to be easy putaways with the deeper return. Verdict: edge IGRP

Serve: again I agree with djnemo - the YTRP is a better serving stick. The only racquet that has serve power equivalent to the YTRP in my experience is the Bab Pure Drive Roddick, and the latter is too stiff for me. The IGRP is a good, but not great, serving stick. I have better placement with the IGRP, likely due to the faster swing speed from the lighter SW. While the IGRP has less power than the YTRP, it is at least as good as the other sticks I mention in my past and can be quite deadly. At worst, it's adequate. Verdict: edge YTRP

Overall: While I give them the same overall rating (4/5), the IGRP is the stick for me. It's as close as anything has come to being a perfect stick for me since the PB10 mid. I have not given any racquet a 5/5 for overall yet, but the IGRP is as close as I have come.

Wait, what am I saying? The IGRP is terrible. No one should use it. In fact, if you have one, you should immediately put it away and consider selling or trading it to a worthy home that just happens to be mine. I'm just sayin'

A++ review, very well done.

Lawn Tennis
03-01-2012, 08:39 PM
A++ review, very well done.

yeah man thanks

dnj30
03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I think monomakh's analysis is very accurate. I demoed the 2 radicals(pro model) a few months ago and agree that there are significant differences. This isn't just a case of putting out an updated model with a few minor tweeks and a new paint job.
I also think that i may have a more unique perspective because i actually hit the IG version FIRST, then tried the YT version.(had a tough time finding the YT version to demo since it was being phased out for the new one). From my perspective of hitting the IG first, the YT was very tough to adjust to, mainly because of the extra power. I am an aggressive all court 4.0 player, fast swing speed. The YT version was way to uncontrollable for me. I guess the combination of such a high SW and the amout of power the racket has was too much for me. I didnt have the same problems with the IG. It seemed to me to be much more of a contol stick, or "players" stick. It was easier to spin, and allowed me to generate my own power and still keep the ball in.
In the end i settled on the prestige pro(non IG) which i love, and for me, is superior in every way to either of the radicals. But i would even say that the IG radical pro actually plays closer to the prestige than it does the YT radical its meant to replace.
Just my 2 cents, and maybe not even worth that much.

djnemo
03-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Great review monomakh. Regarding the IG Rad Pro reminding someone of the Prestige, I could see that it has some aspects in common with the Prestige Pro. I think the IG Rad Pro is a solid all court stick, great at net and from the baseline. The original Youtek Rad Pro is more of a baseliner stick, it's ok at net, but if you are coming to net a lot or play doubles, there are probably better racquets out there for you.

alidisperanza
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Just got my hands on a YTRadPro today. Will string up, play a bit then try to get my hands on an IG demo

strife726
03-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Can someone tell me the beam width on the IG Rad Pro? TW says it's 22mm but Head has it at 21.5mm? Is it 21.5mm or 22mm?

AlpineCadet
03-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Mushy and too flexy, not enough power on slices.

I wish I never bought these frames. Def. going to switch back to my Prestige Pro.

parasailing
03-02-2012, 11:26 PM
I love the Radical series due to the series being softer on the arm than the Prestige line. With the addition of IG, it seems to make all three Head line, Speed, Radical, and Prestige a bit more solid. I have demoed all three lines with and without IG and find IG to offer a more solid feel in addition to a slight increase in power for the Radical line.