PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on racquets...4.0 player

rafafan20
01-30-2012, 08:18 PM
4.0 player, strong serve and volley player, groundstrokes are lacking. I brush the ball and put a lot of topspin on my groundstrokes, and generate most of my own power. I'd like a stiff(ish) and heavy racquet (at least 11.5 oz). I am currently using a Yonex RDiS 100 but would like something with a little bigger headsize (98-100) and that can generate a little more spin. I'm looking at the following, are there any more I should consider?

Volkl Organix 10 (325) and 8 (315)
Wilson K Factor K Blade 98
Babolat Pro Drive Roddick GT

rafafan20
01-30-2012, 08:56 PM
After more research it looks like the Organix 8 315 might be the best choice for me. I am fairly loyal to Wilson as a brand but this racquet seems to hit my needs on the button. Anybody try it, and does wilson make something with similar specs?

Fuji
01-30-2012, 09:00 PM
The Organix 8 315 is a bit of a stiff stick, I found it sort of harsh on the arm.

The X10 325 seems to be right up your alley! I would for sure demo it. Decent for spin, very unique feel. Not for me, but might be right for you!

The Pure Drive Roddick GT is a very, very, very stiff racket. I don't really care for it at the net, but at the baseline and serving its a dream. Doesn't have a touch of feel for any sort of drop volleys or anything like that however!

-Fuji

rafafan20
01-30-2012, 09:03 PM
The Organix 8 315 is a bit of a stiff stick, I found it sort of harsh on the arm.

The X10 325 seems to be right up your alley! I would for sure demo it. Decent for spin, very unique feel. Not for me, but might be right for you!

The Pure Drive Roddick GT is a very, very, very stiff racket. I don't really care for it at the net, but at the baseline and serving its a dream. Doesn't have a touch of feel for any sort of drop volleys or anything like that however!

-Fuji

Thanks for the advice, looks like the PD Roddick GT wouldn't be what im looking for although it seems like people love the way it serves. I would definitely categorize myself as a feel/control player so I don't want to sacrifice that because I can generate my own power for the serve.

Fuji
01-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the advice, looks like the PD Roddick GT wouldn't be what im looking for although it seems like people love the way it serves. I would definitely categorize myself as a feel/control player so I don't want to sacrifice that because I can generate my own power for the serve.

For sure. I absolutely LOVE serving with it, the rest of it's game isn't that great however.

The Organix line is very muted, some love the feel, some hate it. I'm in the camp of not caring for it, but it's definitely worth a demo.

-Fuji

Teski
01-30-2012, 09:32 PM

-Fuji

Have you tried the 2012 PDR? I've demoed it a few times over the last week and I really liked it for volleys. Yes, with the stiffness, there is a lot of power, but I was able to get the stick in place and let the racket do most of the work. I was able to control the touch and direction just fine and the stick feel super stable.

rafafan20
01-30-2012, 09:36 PM
I haven't tried any of the new babolat stuff really ill give that a try

ever tried Head YOUTEK Speed 16x19?

Fuji
01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
I haven't tried the new 2012 PDR yet! My shop has them in, but I haven't had time to string one up! Hopefully in the next month or so. I still use just the regular PDRGT+. It's nice for singles! Awesome for sticking volleys, but I can't feel a thing for the life of me.

I haven't tried the Speed 16x19 in my recent memory sorry!

-Fuji

rafafan20
01-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Last one I'm looking at: Wilson BLX Pro Open

Going to Demo the Volkl 10, Speed 16x19, K factor K blade, and 1 more. Pro Open looks like it would serve me well, any thoughts?

Captain Tezuka
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Last one I'm looking at: Wilson BLX Pro Open

Going to Demo the Volkl 10, Speed 16x19, K factor K blade, and 1 more. Pro Open looks like it would serve me well, any thoughts?

Yeah Pro Open good racquet it was recommended for me as well. Going to get demo on saturday. Maybe these other racquets might serve you well. On TW The new PS6.1 95 BLX is recommended for all court players 4.0+, also Yonex V Core 100 S seems a solid stick.

-Tezuka

Anton
01-31-2012, 06:04 AM
4.0 player, strong serve and volley player, groundstrokes are lacking. I brush the ball and put a lot of topspin on my groundstrokes, and generate most of my own power. I'd like a stiff(ish) and heavy racquet (at least 11.5 oz). I am currently using a Yonex RDiS 100 but would like something with a little bigger headsize (98-100) and that can generate a little more spin. I'm looking at the following, are there any more I should consider?

Volkl Organix 10 (325) and 8 (315)
Wilson K Factor K Blade 98
Babolat Pro Drive Roddick GT

I think you will like the Slazenger Pro Braided TW recently released - amazing volleying stick that plays loopy.

KenC
01-31-2012, 09:00 AM
I would definitely categorize myself as a feel/control player...

I wouldn't even go near anything that is a Pure Drive or an Aero Pro Drive then.

rafafan20
01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
So my extensive research has brought me down to 4 rackets to demo... this is not an easy process.

Dunlop Biomimetic 200 Plus Mid+
PK Herit. Type C Redondo Demo Mid+
Dunlop Biomimetic 300 Tour Mid+
Babolat Aero Storm GT Mid+

None of the Wilsons seemed to fit in the specifications, either too small a frame or too heavy. I've hit with the Slazenger and wasn't crazy about it although it served great. The Head seems to be more of a baseliner's racquet. Anybody try these?

Captain Tezuka
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
So my extensive research has brought me down to 4 rackets to demo... this is not an easy process.

None of the Wilsons seemed to fit in the specifications, either too small a frame or too heavy. I've hit with the Slazenger and wasn't crazy about it although it served great. The Head seems to be more of a baseliner's racquet. Anybody try these?

I might demo the Dunlop Biomimetic 300 sometime soon however I don't know about the Tour Mid+. I'll keep you posted or check for my reviews after a week or two.

Anton
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM

I played with all, except Aero Storm,
Pure Storm Tour Gt would be a better choice imo from the Babolats.

Biomimetic 200 Plus was not bad but I felt top of the loop was a bit dead and the sweet spot a bit small.

PK Herit. Type C Redondo Demo Mid+ is great is you have full strokes and like smooth heavy frames that keep the ball in the lines...though I'd say it's more a driver's frame then spinster's.

Dunlop Biomimetic 300 Tour Mid+ is a pretty nice all courter that you can play flat or loopy and I'd recommend that one the most out of your choices. Not too heavy not too light, but the loop is pretty slim, so I'd advise a bit of lead on 2 and 10 to get it just right and string it with 17g strings at low-mid tension.

USS Tang
01-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Prince EXO3 Red 105 is my recommendation. Good power and lots of touch.

rafafan20
01-31-2012, 06:26 PM
I played with all, except Aero Storm,
Pure Storm Tour Gt would be a better choice imo from the Babolats.

Biomimetic 200 Plus was not bad but I felt top of the loop was a bit dead and the sweet spot a bit small.

PK Herit. Type C Redondo Demo Mid+ is great is you have full strokes and like smooth heavy frames that keep the ball in the lines...though I'd say it's more a driver's frame then spinster's.

Dunlop Biomimetic 300 Tour Mid+ is a pretty nice all courter that you can play flat or loopy and I'd recommend that one the most out of your choices. Not too heavy not too light, but the loop is pretty slim, so I'd advise a bit of lead on 2 and 10 to get it just right and string it with 17g strings at low-mid tension.

Great advice thank you. Heard similar about 200 Plus. Gonna order demos on friday so I'll stick w/ the Dunlop 300 tour and Redondo. Probably will steer clear of Babolat for now.

Fuji
01-31-2012, 08:25 PM

I actually have all of those frames. :oops:

The Bio200+ is a sweet frame, but I found it a bit uncontrollable. It was a bit inconsistent for me.

The Redondo is awesome! So comfortable and awesome for flat, drive style hitting. Sweet serving, and awesome volleys.

The Bio300T is epic. I ended up moving on from it, but it's serving and volleying were A+. It was very comparable to serving with a PDRGT without any of the harshness or stiffness. Very comfortable frame too. My forehand and serve worked well, but my backhand I couldn't dial in. More time with it probably would have worked better, but oh well.

I use the Aero Storm Cortex, so pretty close to the GT. It's awesome. I have it leaded up but stock it's really nice. It volleys superbly, serves top notch, and my groundstrokes are pretty even. They aren't really harmed, nor aided, but it does pretty much exactly what you put in. I chose it for it's comfort without feeling gummy, and it does all I need in a stick.

-Fuji

rafafan20
01-31-2012, 08:34 PM
thanks for the help Fuji, looks like the 300 tour is a solid stick.

Fuji
01-31-2012, 08:34 PM
You're most welcome! Be sure to give it a demo if you can!

-Fuji

rafafan20
02-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Have any experience with the dunlop 400 tour?

Fuji
02-03-2012, 07:16 PM
None for me sorry, I haven't demoed any of the "new" frames!

-Fuji

JackB1
02-03-2012, 07:22 PM
After more research it looks like the Organix 8 315 might be the best choice for me. I am fairly loyal to Wilson as a brand but this racquet seems to hit my needs on the button. Anybody try it, and does wilson make something with similar specs?

BLX Pro Open

The Organix is very stiff feeling. It's very powerful, but doesn't have a nice feel on impact IMO.

rafafan20
02-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Update

Really didn't like the Bio 300 Tour. Was way too light and it was just not a solid racket for me.

Also tried the new radical pro. Had a little too much pop and I just didn't like the way it was weighted

BLX Juice Pro: I was really crushing backhands volleys and serves with this racket but my forehand was sailing and the frame size was a tad small

I really liked the Bio 400 Tour. The string on it was old and a little too lose. However it had the perfect amount of spin for my groundstrokes and also hit a mean kick serve and slice. I wish it was a bit more stable on volleys but I might try some lead tape. I still would like to try last year's 300 tour. I liked the open pattern of the 400 Tour and it looks like that was the best for me.