PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Suggestion For 4.0 Player

ragingbull1980
01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
For starters I currently use the Boris Becker 11 MP (heavy 18/20). I'm a 4.0 baseliner who uses a SW Forehand and two hand backhand. I hit with a lot of top spin on the forehand side with good net clearance. My style is kind of like David Ferrer obviously no where near as good, anyhow I try to dictate play with my forehand and speed is also a weapon for me as with him. I like most things about my Becker 11 except I really feel it might be a bit heavy for me especially for serving in long matches and dealing with heavy balls I feel I'm a little late.

Here are some racquets that I was thinking of trying: please comment and or add your personal opinions:

Volkl Organix 8 315- not sure about the stiffness though

Volkl O 10 295

Prince EXO3 TOUR 100 16 X 18

HEAD YOUTEK IG RADICAL PRO

BECKER MELBOURNE: SEEMS IDENTICAL TO MY 11 SO PROBABLY TOO HEAVY.

Thanks in advance

Captain Tezuka
01-31-2012, 05:10 PM
For starters I currently use the Boris Becker 11 MP (heavy 18/20). I'm a 4.0 baseliner who uses a SW Forehand and two hand backhand. I hit with a lot of top spin on the forehand side with good net clearance. My style is kind of like David Ferrer obviously no where near as good, anyhow I try to dictate play with my forehand and speed is also a weapon for me as with him. I like most things about my Becker 11 except I really feel it might be a bit heavy for me especially for serving in long matches and dealing with heavy balls I feel I'm a little late.

Here are some racquets that I was thinking of trying: please comment and or add your personal opinions:

Volkl Organix 8 315- not sure about the stiffness though

Volkl O 10 295

Prince EXO3 TOUR 100 16 X 18

HEAD YOUTEK IG RADICAL PRO

BECKER MELBOURNE: SEEMS IDENTICAL TO MY 11 SO PROBABLY TOO HEAVY.

Thanks in advance

Hm try the Yonex VCORE 100S that great for spin or just try the vcore line and see how you feel. Try demo something with an open string pattern to help spin production and the static weight being lighter than your current racquet. Which can't recommend due to it not being listed in your post.

-Tezuka

getsby
01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
from the list-Volkl O 295, IMO.
Radical Pro-very head heavy, increased swing weight
Organix 315-very stiff
Prince-very flex
And you yourself dismissed Melbourne

ragingbull1980
02-01-2012, 05:03 AM
from the list-Volkl O 295, IMO.
Radical Pro-very head heavy, increased swing weight
Organix 315-very stiff
Prince-very flex
And you yourself dismissed Melbourne

Thanks Getsby, and suggestions can come elsewhere from the list as well. Those were just some sticks that I thought I might like. The Volkl O 295 seems very intriguing in that I always could add some lead to it down the road.

Also, when you guys demo new sticks do you usually use same exact string setup. My string set up is Volkl Cyclone 17 @ 50/47. Just not sure if I should use same tension since most of the sticks I'll be testing will probably be more powerful but at the same token they might be more stiff as well.

getsby
02-01-2012, 05:37 AM
I have tried Organix 325, my friend's racket. With Volkl Gripper string. The feel of the racquet very positive. At the same time on my racquet (Wilson Pro Open) Volkl Cyclone 17. The comfort of these two sticks was not to compare-Organix clearly superior

TennisCJC
02-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Volkl o10 295 is great imo.

I play volkl o10 295 customized to 12 oz, 335+Sw, 5 HL, and I really like it.

I think in stock form it may not have the plow and power that you are used to with bb11.

My setup:
1 g at 12 o'c under bumper
1 g at 1:30 o'c under bumper
1 g at 10:30 o'c under bumper
3 g at 9 o'c
3 g at 3 o'c
volkl dampener
bab skin feel replacement grip
gamma supreme over grip
approx 10 g under grip on pallet between 1" and 7" from butt end to get to 5 HL.

I could take about 4-5 g off the handle and go down 4 HL and keep the same plow and power.

I really like the setup: very stable, great spin (poly mains, multi or syn gut cross 50/53), fantastic control, and great feel - it is crisper than older volkl models but the no vibrations and flex in shaft is plenty soft enough - rate 62 by TW and plays like it. The twistweight with my mods is about 14 g which is excellent torsional stability - much higher than most rackets.

ragingbull1980
02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Volkl o10 295 is great imo.

I play volkl o10 295 customized to 12 oz, 335+Sw, 5 HL, and I really like it.

I think in stock form it may not have the plow and power that you are used to with bb11.

My setup:
1 g at 12 o'c under bumper
1 g at 1:30 o'c under bumper
1 g at 10:30 o'c under bumper
3 g at 9 o'c
3 g at 3 o'c
volkl dampener
bab skin feel replacement grip
gamma supreme over grip
approx 10 g under grip on pallet between 1" and 7" from butt end to get to 5 HL.

I could take about 4-5 g off the handle and go down 4 HL and keep the same plow and power.

I really like the setup: very stable, great spin (poly mains, multi or syn gut cross 50/53), fantastic control, and great feel - it is crisper than older volkl models but the no vibrations and flex in shaft is plenty soft enough - rate 62 by TW and plays like it. The twistweight with my mods is about 14 g which is excellent torsional stability - much higher than most rackets.

Thanks for your input. It is a definite demo. And who knows maybe I'll love it stock and won't need to customize it if I do happen to go down that road. I shall demo it pretty soon here.

sunof tennis
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
If you aren't wedded to the 18X20 pattern, you might want to add the BB London MP to your demo list. Good racquet. Like a Radical MP with more pop and spin, but still arm friendly

ragingbull1980
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
If you aren't wedded to the 18X20 pattern, you might want to add the BB London MP to your demo list. Good racquet. Like a Radical MP with more pop and spin, but still arm friendly

I tried that awhile back thinking it would it be perfect but i'm not sure if the string set up was off or what but it just did not stand out for me. I had SPPP in it at 55/52. I think maybe I should try again and try my usual cyclone out on it.