PDA

View Full Version : To address TE

RoughOG
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey guys lately I've been getting the early signs of TE. It's not the strings because today I strung with a full NXT and still had a sharp pain in my elbow. Currently use the K-Blade tour and was wondering what you guys think I could use. Currently my thoughts on sticks would be Blx Tour(leaded), Prince Rebel, Blx Pro Open(leaded) and Pure Storm ltd GT to be able to use. Thanks guys (:

ps. Will string with a multi at around 55-57

Fuji
01-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Try using your PSLTDGT, it's probably the most "arm friendly" frame you have listed there. String her up with a soft multi at a low tension, and if that doesn't help check your technique! :) Most elbow pains are caused my miss matched techniques; have you changed anything recently?

-Fuji

scotus
01-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Any of those racquets would be fine, as long as they are unstrung.

retrograde
01-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Most elbow pains are caused my miss matched techniques ...
One hears that a lot on these forums, but from what I can see on the local scene, overuse and age are big contributors.

When I demo'd the BLX Pro Open and BLX Pro Tour (both NXT) I didn't think either were very arm-friendly. PK7g, PST and Yonex RDiS 200 are pretty comfy by me but might not in the OP's weight/SW range. Maybe a PS or London? I find larger heads to be more comfy when my elbow is bugging me. Bigger and looser grips help me too. And ice.

RoughOG
01-31-2012, 07:58 PM
Try using your PSLTDGT, it's probably the most "arm friendly" frame you have listed there. String her up with a soft multi at a low tension, and if that doesn't help check your technique! :) Most elbow pains are caused my miss matched techniques; have you changed anything recently?

-Fuji

Alright will string the the bab with a multi later tonight after homework is done haha. I notice that lately on my forehand I've been trying to put more spin and not driving the ball out like I usually do could that be the cause of the TE?

RoughOG
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
One hears that a lot on these forums, but from what I can see on the local scene, overuse and age are big contributors.

When I demo'd the BLX Pro Open and BLX Pro Tour (both NXT) I didn't think either were very arm-friendly. PK7g, PST and Yonex RDiS 200 are pretty comfy by me but might not in the OP's weight/SW range. Maybe a PS or London? I find larger heads to be more comfy when my elbow is bugging me. Bigger and looser grips help me too. And ice.

Looser grip? H'm I'll try that because lately I've been gripping the handle fairly heavily. Thanks and of course ice haha

Xizel
01-31-2012, 08:01 PM
Train your forearm muscles. They're nowhere near as brutal and time consuming as other muscles. I've never fixed TE by going to a different racquet and or string (even if money wasn't an issue). Fix the cause, not the symptom.

RoughOG
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Train your forearm muscles. They're nowhere near as brutal and time consuming as other muscles. I've never fixed TE by going to a different racquet and or string (even if money wasn't an issue). Fix the cause, not the symptom.

How did you train your forearm muscles?

Captain Tezuka
01-31-2012, 10:29 PM

Yeah HOW!?!? PLease tell us?

retrograde
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Looser grip? H'm I'll try that because lately I've been gripping the handle fairly heavily. Thanks and of course ice haha
The club pro that coaches our group is always reminding us not to use a deathgrip - theory is there's less strain on the forearm muscle & ligaments (the ones on top that attach to the elbow, you can feel it contract when you make a fist). He claims another benefit is the wrist & arm will be a little more relaxed to help with spin production. Sounds OK to me.

kimbahpnam
01-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Pro Kennex Kinetic 5G or 7G

/end thread

mikeler
02-01-2012, 04:36 AM

Buy a flexbar and learn the Tyler Twist. Most TE cases I see are with people that use 1 handed backhands. When you catch the ball late, it will aggravate the TE area.

matchmaker
02-01-2012, 04:53 AM
I have had recurrent TE problems all my life. Apparently my tendons are routed in a way that they start to bother me. The culprit in my case is solely and uniquely the serve. If I don't serve I don't get TE. I use a one handed BH, but it has certainly nothing to do with my case of TE. Actually it is the only thing that has never hurt me, even if I feel I am getting TE.

It's the serve that causes TE, because when you pronate to put kick on the ball, your tendon is overstretched and received a big shock from hitting down on the ball in that position. I have tried to change my serve motion to prevent this, but there is only so much you can do. I toss lower and try to toss not too much forward. The higher and the more forward you hit the ball, the more your tendons are going to be overstretched. Which doesn't mean either that you have to toss behind your head. Just a healthy, medium high toss. Think Sampras. One of the players that has an interesting and efficient serve motion these days is Dolgopolov, he basically hits the ball on the rise when he serves. However strange it might seem, that kind of serve motion leads less to TE than for instance what Soderling does.

As it comes to racquets, they are a big part of the equation when it comes to preventing TE. The racquet that has virtually solved my TE problems is an old Wilson mid with a very high swingweight (364) and low flex (55). Many people think intuitively that a light racquet is the cure, but it is completely the opposite. A heavier racquet pushes the ball and is not pushed by the ball. That is quite a relief for your sensitive tendons. Flex also absorbs unwanted vibrations. In my case I have found mids to be very beneficial. There is something about the weight distribution in mids that helps alot.

KenC
02-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Alright will string the the bab with a multi later tonight after homework is done haha. I notice that lately on my forehand I've been trying to put more spin and not driving the ball out like I usually do could that be the cause of the TE?

If you want to use the PSLGT with TE I would get a super soft multi string and string it around 50-52lbs. Don't worry and think that tension is too low, with that racquet it is not and with decent technique you will still have to swing hard to hit a ball long.

Bab's XCel Premium or Power are good strings for TE, TF's TGV is another. I would stay away from X-One because even though it is a soft string it seems to play like a fairly stiff string. Better than all those is a decent gut.

fuzz nation
02-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Hey guys lately I've been getting the early signs of TE. It's not the strings because today I strung with a full NXT and still had a sharp pain in my elbow. Currently use the K-Blade tour and was wondering what you guys think I could use. Currently my thoughts on sticks would be Blx Tour(leaded), Prince Rebel, Blx Pro Open(leaded) and Pure Storm ltd GT to be able to use. Thanks guys (:

So I've got to ask what string you were using before the NXT, just because tennis elbow is considered a more cumulative injury. If you're right in the middle of the onset of that form of tendonitis, it won't evaporate on the spot just because you went to a different string. If your pain remains chronic and won't cool out, you ought to consider a couple weeks away from the courts to really get ahead of it.

One exercise that's always helped me with having stronger, healthier forearms is simply doing forearm curls with only my olympic bar. I stand with my hands only a couple inches apart on the bar, elbows straight, and hold the bar at the "top" of the curl for a brief pause, let it down, and go right back up to the pause at the top. I'll do that til it starts to burn the forearms, rest for a quick 5-count, then grind out some more to try and work them while they're tired.

Many of the exercises I use when I lift are geared more toward higher rep's to help with strength and also boost endurance. I also like keeping the weight loads moderate to reduce chances of injury. I've had a lot of success in recent years with the Volkl C10 because its performance is rather solid for me, but I've also never felt even a twinge in my elbow when using that frame on a busy schedule.

retrograde
02-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Good tips here.

... because when you pronate to put kick on the ball, your tendon is overstretched and received a big shock from hitting down on the ball in that position.
I don't have elbow problems from serving but can visualize what you're saying. Does your pain appear more in front of or behind the elbow? Top or bottom of the arm (I'm guessing bottom)?

sunof tennis
02-01-2012, 01:56 PM

-Fuji

Agree that technique probably causes most of the problems, but racquets and strings can exacerbate the difficulties. I would use a multi. Peopple often recommend the BB London MP, the Head Radical MP, Prince EXO100. All are arm friendly.

matchmaker
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Good tips here.

I don't have elbow problems from serving but can visualize what you're saying. Does your pain appear more in front of or behind the elbow? Top or bottom of the arm (I'm guessing bottom)?

Well, difficult to say where you feel it exactly when it hits you because you would think it is inside the elbow, intuitively. But to be specific it hurts exactly at your elbow, more to the outside than to the inside.

In my case it is certainly tennis related. Even if it hurts, I can still do about anything but just taking a racquet in my hands it starts to hurt already.

But anyway, as I described, it helps to make the serve motion as simple and efficient possible and to swing a heavy, flexy racquet. In my case mids have also proven to be more elbow friendly, except those that are terribly underpowered like the Pro Kennex Redondo mid, although I haven't had any problem with low powered racquets like the Volkl VE mid. Too stiff mids are fine in the beginning, but after a few matches my elbow still plays up. This was the case with the K88 and to a lesser extent with the K90, which in my opinion play more like midpluses.

UCSF2012
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Take 600mg advil for a few days and rest your elbow. Afterwards, 1) try lead at 3/9, 2) tinker with vib dampeners (take it off, put it on, how big a dampener?) 3) consider silicone in the handle

Limpinhitter
02-02-2012, 05:47 AM

The benefits of a loose and relaxed grip!

I cured my TE by learning to keep my grip loose and relaxed through the entire swing, including (especially), at contact. When your grip is loose at contact, the shock and vibration from impact stops in your hand and cannot travel up your arm. A loose and relaxed grip also resulted in more pop on my shots and cleaner ball striking.

Vasuri
02-02-2012, 07:55 AM

I have had my share of TE trouble and training does really help a lot. Also very important to remember to strech your forearm after playing and training.

Below is a a link to exercises for strengthening both the shoulders and forearm. Last three exercises are for the forearm and helpfull for TE. You can also do these exercises and a rubber exercise band instead of weights.

http://www.muhlenberg.edu/pdf/main/athletics/athletic_training/throwers10.pdf

ATP100
02-02-2012, 06:39 PM

Stop playing until you have no pain...than start slowly. If you don't you will be like a lot of players...( I see 35-40 a day...more on weekends) and never get rid of the pain or worse.

ChicagoJack
02-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Any of those racquets would be fine, as long as they are unstrung.

Funniest reply EVER.

Stop playing until you have no pain...than start slowly. If you don't you will be like a lot of players...( I see 35-40 a day...more on weekends) and never get rid of the pain or worse.

Best advice so far, and the hardest one to follow.

trilix
02-03-2012, 06:36 AM
yeah, loose your grip. Compare it with how you would hold the steeringwheel of your car -> loose. Also your whole movement should be fluent and loose.

grtz