PDA

View Full Version : Venus and Serena reality show

LafayetteHitter
07-20-2005, 11:32 AM
What do you guys think about the Venus and Serena reality show on Vh-1? Will this generate some new interest in tennis or will it just be another run of the mill reality show?

Babblelot
07-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Venus and Serena have their own reality show!!

Good grief...

TennisD
07-20-2005, 12:10 PM
What is the world coming to?

Surely, this is a sign of the apocalypse...

VashTheStampede
07-20-2005, 12:17 PM
I pretty much hate all reality shows, but I'll check this one out. If I don't see a tennis court in the first few episodes forget it. And I thought it was on ABCfamily?

Babblelot
07-20-2005, 12:25 PM
I pretty much hate all reality shows, but I'll check this one out. If I don't see a tennis court in the first few episodes forget it. And I thought it was on ABCfamily?
My predictions:
1. The Three Cleopatra Entourage
2. knitting and sewing
4. fashion!
5. singing
6. eating chocolate
7. "acting"
8. mobs of "fans" swarming a television camera crew like flies to a pile o' *****

(Let me know if my predictions are any good--I won't be tuned in.)

LafayetteHitter
07-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Maybe I heard the commercial wrong, I thought it was Vh-1 but I could definately be wrong.

LafayetteHitter
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Yes, it is on ABC family, it says that it will show their off court life, which is probably the majority these days.

Kaptain Karl
07-20-2005, 01:03 PM
zzzzzzzzzzz...

- KK

Kevin Patrick
07-20-2005, 01:33 PM
By Kevin Crust, Times Staff Writer

Back in the day, "Venus & Serena: For Real" might have been an animated Saturday morning kids' show in which the tennis-playing Williams sisters deployed their forehands and backhands mixed in with some high-flying martial arts kicks as crime-fighting action heroes. Flying their own monogrammed private jets around the globe, the Williamses would alternate winning Grand Slam events with hobnobbing with the rich and famous, all the while being wooed by wealthy industrialists who secretly plot to take over the world.

Today, of course, celebrities aren't as frequently flattened into two-dimensions for cartoons as they once were. They more often become three-dimensional caricatures on reality series. In the straightforward but painfully dry "Venus & Serena: For Real," debuting tonight on ABC Family, the sisters do many of the activities their fictional animated cartoon counterparts might have, but with a lot less flair (and not a dastardly industrialist in sight).

The young ladies stroll the red carpets of various awards shows, cavort with their other two sisters, pursue their seemingly endless array of sidelines interior design for Venus, fashion and acting for Serena, endorsement deals for both and even squeeze in a little tennis. In fairness, the Williamses actually devote much of their time to training and practice, but occasionally, it seems as if the sport is merely a means to an end, the thing that finances the lifestyle.

The program isn't geared toward tennis fans, and people who even casually follow the sport will find the tennis coverage uninspired. The footage of the first two shows was shot two or three months ago when Serena was sidelined with an injury and Venus was entrenched in a major slump, so there isn't much suspense when you know that Serena will eventually rejoin the circuit and Venus will win the women's singles title at Wimbledon. With its upbeat power-pop theme music and perky title sequence in which the sisters play dress up, the series actually feels like it's aimed at youngsters, though its hard to imagine kids will find it any more interesting than adults.

As reality series go, "Venus & Serena" is pretty real. There are no phony tests in which one sister has to drink the sweat of the other or go on dates with mere mortals. Nor does anyone get voted out of the family, and there are no actors pretending to be the Williams' masseuse or personal chef for comic relief.

On the other hand, how real is it to watch the prosaic routines of someone who makes tens of millions of dollars in endorsements and tournament winnings? The daily grind is the daily grind regardless of how glamorous the surroundings. There's nothing particularly fascinating about watching Kerrie, the Williams personal trainer, trying to get Venus to do her workout when she doesn't feel like it.

It's not Venus and Serena's fault that the show is a dud. They are intelligent, attractive and energetic young women living out their dreams on a very large stage, and there should be something inherently dramatic in that. The problem is that the show fails to find a through line that would tie together the various elements and give it some type of forward motion. Billed as "an intimate journey inside their lives," the show is one step removed from that point where each and every celebrity will have a Web-cam welded to their forehead, and we'll have the privilege of watching their every move.

http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-williams20jul20,0,7750860.story?coll=cl-calendar

Defcon
07-20-2005, 04:06 PM
I must be careful when channel surfing not to stumble across this, as I fear my IQ (what little is left of it from watching tv and posting on this board :) ) will drop further!

Bertchel Banks
07-20-2005, 05:28 PM
I'll watch. Actually I missed RENO 911! last night because I thought it was going to be on then, hehe.

krnboijunsung
07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I saw a clip of it this morning on Regis and Kelly, and it looks boring.

milesandmiles
07-20-2005, 07:20 PM
It was all fluff, no substance at all. It had no real insight into their lives. The sisters came across as not being nearly as educated and worldly as they like to present themselves. It was a show about nothing. I tried to keep an open mind but it was boring and bland to say the least.

RafaN RichardG
07-20-2005, 07:20 PM
i watched it. it was a funny, good show. it showed how bad serenas ankle injury actually was. she was on the verge of tears at the amelia island tourn.

gully
07-21-2005, 04:34 AM
My 11-year-old daughter was keen to see this -- so there's my excuse for watching -- and I have to say it was pretty gruesome. I'm fairly positive the sisters would have editorial control over the show's content, so I'm not sure which is more sad:

-- that the Williams are as shallow, self-centered, narcissistic, and unintelligent as they appear on the show ...

OR

-- that neither of them appears to have any clue as to the above, as demonstrated by the fact that they let this air.

(Before you accuse me of being a "hater," I've posted a few times on both Venus and Serena before, at least sometimes in a positive way.)

Serena's abuse of her dog was pathetic. She shouldn't be allowed to own one until she learns how to treat one.

Love40
07-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Serena's abuse of her dog was pathetic. She shouldn't be allowed to own one until she learns how to treat one.

I was surfing and came across this show just at that moment, when she was yelling in the dog's ear and he was cowering under her.

If I ever had the slightest respect for Serena, I no longer do.

Alexaggie
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
ABUSE? you must be joking.

RafaN RichardG
07-21-2005, 12:55 PM
she was yelling at it for pooping and eating stuff she wasnt supposed to. i dont know about you, but i dont give my dog a treat for that kind of behavior. besides, she was nice to it a little while after.

some ppl here r too critical.

gully
07-21-2005, 01:23 PM
she was yelling at it for pooping and eating stuff she wasnt supposed to. i dont know about you, but i dont give my dog a treat for that kind of behavior.This statement is completely illogical: "yelling" and "treating" are not the only two options available here, and you need not pick one when dismissing the other.

The dog doesn't need "yelling at," it needs a gentle correction and training. The episode reflected very poorly on Serena. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience meeting Venus; I've complimented her in some other threads. But I'm not one of those "some people" who are "too critical": the episode reflected both sisters in an unflattering light, and if you think yelling at your dog is charming, I guess you'll stay a fan.

Alexaggie
07-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Gentle correction like what? Sitting it down and having a talk with it? Explain why those things were bad ans asking it not to do it again? It's a freaking dog!!

She's probably not the dog's owner either right? No doubt she is only it's "guardian".

gully
07-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Gentle correction like what? Sitting it down and having a talk with it? Explain why those things were bad ans asking it not to do it again? It's a freaking dog!!

She's probably not the dog's owner either right? No doubt she is only it's "guardian".Read a book, pal. Everyone who's trained a dog knows what "correction" means, and it's not "yelling" or "explaining." No responsible dog owner believes that "yelling" at a dog is the right thing to do. It's not that hard NOT to yell.

Serena's the one who chose the path of fame, chose to be on a reality tv show, chose to yell at her dog on it. Not the worst crime in the world, but I know plenty of humans who manage better than that, each and every day, who aren't driven by the desire for celebrity.

MARK ANDERS
07-21-2005, 04:21 PM
I think effective "correction" concerning the dog would be for Papa Williams to just stare down the lil fella with his cro-magnon mug inches from the pooche's face. That would probably scare the hell out of him so bad that he would high tail it over to the market, steal a whole turkey and put it at the feet of Serena!

Deuce
07-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Hope the dog pees in Serena's shoes.

ShooterMcMarco
07-22-2005, 12:41 AM
I was surfing and came across this show just at that moment, when she was yelling in the dog's ear and he was cowering under her.

If I ever had the slightest respect for Serena, I no longer do.

i guess you didnt watch the part where she talked about how everytime she puts the dog in the bag, she takes it out when no one is looking because she can't be mean to it for a really long time. then she gives it a hug, hehe.

DashaandSafin
07-22-2005, 04:20 AM
What a stupid show....really i honestly rather watch Newlyweds.

fantom
07-22-2005, 04:46 AM
What a stupid show....really i honestly rather watch Newlyweds.

heheheehehh. I agree totally. It was like watching a train wreck, though. I couldn't look away.

I thought it was funny that they focused on how Serena hates to train. There are 2 clips that come to mind....

1. Venus running on the beach while Serena and the other sister were riding next to her in a golf cart.

2. Venus and their trainer were doing yoga in the hotel room while Serena was laying on the bed under the covers.

Wait 'til Serena stops playing tennis. You won't be able to tell the difference between her and her grossly obese sister.

tennissavy
07-22-2005, 07:09 AM
heheheehehh. I agree totally. It was like watching a train wreck, though. I couldn't look away.

I thought it was funny that they focused on how Serena hates to train. There are 2 clips that come to mind....

1. Venus running on the beach while Serena and the other sister were riding next to her in a golf cart.

2. Venus and their trainer were doing yoga in the hotel room while Serena was laying on the bed under the covers.

Wait 'til Serena stops playing tennis. You won't be able to tell the difference between her and her grossly obese sister.
You won't be able to tell difference between Serena or her mother either. It's not going to be pretty.

zorg
07-22-2005, 07:26 AM
Lol, when an adult says to teach the dog not to eat stuff its not supposed to and not to poop everywhere by talking to it, I know that person has WAY to much free time on their hands.

Ossric
09-05-2007, 08:10 AM
You won't be able to tell difference between Serena or her mother either. It's not going to be pretty.

Sure you will, Serena's face is still intact while her mother's has the appearance that it's melting.

Ronaldo
09-05-2007, 08:34 AM
This is the show from 2005 which ended with Venus winning Wimbledon. Venus acts more professional IMHO.