PDA

View Full Version : New Rackets...?

zakprior
02-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi All, Am looking for some advice regarding my tennis racket. I am wanting to know whether I should stick with what I have got or maybe venture into the market for a new racket.

Currently I have a Dunlop 3-hundred M-Fil. It is roughly 7 years old. The frame and grommet are extremely battered however the frame doesn't show any particular signs of ware (ie warping). I had the strings replaced last year for the first time and I could really feel the difference. I am now thinking I could replace the strings and grommet. I don't know how much this was when purchased or anything like that. As I didn't buy it I don't really know many of the specs apart from teh ones on teh inside of the frame. If it would help for reference I can list them! I am not sure if people will know this racket or not. Or...

In terms of new rackets I have got about 100 to spend. (if in US roughly equates to a $150 racket). So far I have been looking at the Head Youtek Extreme MP, Head Youtek Extreme Elite and the Head Youtek Speed Elite. Maybe something else?

I am only 18 so this was my first full racket 7 years ago so I don't really have any reference about whether I like heavy or light rackets, tension, balance etc. I would however say that I am an experienced player having played regularly for the past 7 years.

In terms of power needed, I tend to find I can produce a fair amount of power myself so I would like something that has good feel touch and accuracy. I do know when I got my strings replaced i has them at 62lbs.

What I would really like to know is whether getting a new racket would give me much over replacing strings and grommet. Has technology improved enough? After 7 years would my frame be worn even if not visibly?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

(obviously my first post I will contribute to other threads as much as I can)

zakprior
02-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Also sorry forgot to say, I know I quoted Head Rackets but I am open to any.

Also to cut it down what I am really asking:

After 7 years will a Racket be a generally bad condition? (obviously more detail is appreciated)

anirut
02-01-2012, 05:14 PM
After seven years ...

It depends on how often you play, how often you restring, how hard you hit and how well you take care of the stick.

If you're a hard hitter, play like 4-6 hours a week and resting it every month, then, after 7 years, the racket will certainly loose quite a lot of zap.

In your case, seems like you don't restring often, the frame itself shouldn't be a problem, except for the grommets. If you can find replacement grommets, this should be a good choice. But you said the frame is "battered", which, I presume, were the result of framing the shots and not you throwing the racket and dragging it on court. This shouldn't be a problem either.

As for your asking for recommendations, I'd suggest you look into Dunlop's 300 range, be it the Tour or Non-tour. This should make it easy for you to transition without much adjustment.

BTW, graphite rackets won't warp. They either crack or break.