PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm LTD vs. Head Prestige Pro?

Nexus
02-02-2012, 12:04 AM
My racket history: Wilson n6.1 tour 90 2006-2011. Blx Blade Tour June '11-Aug '11. Currently in possession of two Pure Storm Ltd's since Aug '11. One's the 09 version and one's the '11 version. They're not matched and my digital scale shows them to be about .5 oz difference in weight. The '09 is a tad heavier. Looks like I got one on each end of the margin of error spectrum.

Anyway, I like my Ltd's but I don't think they're the right racket for me. After all, if I was serious about them I would have selected a version and gathered a total of three of them because that's what I usually do.

Cons of the Ltd's: Lack of touch & the '11 version just has some uncomfortable feedback/vibration on off-center shots.

Pros: Despite the tighter string pattern there's plenty of spin. I'm used to low-powered rackets so that's not a problem. Control is amazing.

Anyway, I've just had this lingering dissatisfaction with these rackets and I don't have a legitimate reason why. I've played some of my best tennis with them. Searching for another racket seems dumb just because I can't execute my drop shots. So, I've chalked it up to the fact that I dislike 18x20 string patterns primarily because I don't pop strings near as often and it just takes part of the satisfaction out of the game.

It also seems that I'm making a backwards progression through racket head sizes. 90 to 93 to 95. And now 98 with the Prestige Pro

I've always been a fan of the prestiges. I've owned the microgel mid and the flexpoint mid but I disliked both of them in comparison to the n6.1 tour 90 I was using at the time. So as I've really started to pay attention to what qualities I like in a racket I stumbled upon the Youtek Prestige Pro. The biggest attractions were the Prestige name (and paintjob!), the heft, and the 16x19 pattern that my tour 90 had. I recently purchased one and once I receive it next week I'll string it up and give it a test drive. I am unsure if it will be what I'm looking for but it will be a nice step towards whichever racket that may be perfect for me in this point in my game.

I also notice that as I've matured, I no longer have this ego about being able to play with midsize rackets while everyone else plays with midplus. I used to think I was kind of special for being able to beat people when I used a heavier, more demanding racket than my opponents. Now I look back and see it as silly because it may have hurt my game. Had I had something more forgiving, and lighter, I dare say I may be a better player today. I recently demo'd the new BLX Pro Staff 90 and despite the fact that it is very nice to play with there is no way in the world I could imagine weilding it seriously anymore.

Now that you've read my story, does anyone have any insight on any LTD's or Prestige Pro frames? Or why you switched to/from them?

tennis_balla
02-02-2012, 12:34 AM
The LTD needs added weight to play right as its way too light stock. I added lead tape at 3 and 9 and silicone into the handle, total weight now is 352grams strung.

Chyeaah
02-02-2012, 12:36 AM
The Ltd's sweetspot is kindof smallish as well.

rlau
02-02-2012, 02:25 AM
It also seems that I'm making a backwards progression through racket head sizes. 90 to 93 to 95. And now 98 with the Prestige Pro.

The Prestige Pro is a 95 sq inch frame in reality.... IIRC, it has a rather dense pattern. So other than the slightly less headlight balance and slightly better spin/power, it really isn't that much different compared to the PSLGT.

ghia
02-02-2012, 03:10 AM
Dilema:
I have two 2011 psl's (besides a bunch of dunlops, wilsons, and heads), and I find, on simple inspection, that the head of the babolat is smaller than both my 95sq inch dunlops and my prestige mp.
I have no ideea of how to measure headsize but subjectivelly the pure storm ltd looks smaller, around 93 sq inch maybe?
The width alog the crosses seems the same but it is definetelly shorter along the mains.
What do you think guys?

rlau
02-02-2012, 03:50 AM
Hi,
Dilema:
I have two 2011 psl's (besides a bunch of dunlops, wilsons, and heads), and I find, on simple inspection, that the head of the babolat is smaller than both my 95sq inch dunlops and my prestige mp.
I have no ideea of how to measure headsize but subjectivelly the pure storm ltd looks smaller, around 93 sq inch maybe?
The width alog the crosses seems the same but it is definetelly shorter along the mains.
What do you think guys?

I think it's the egg shape that makes it appear smaller.

Nexus
02-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I think it's the egg shape that makes it appear smaller.

I've let quite a few of my buddies hit around with the LTD's and most don't like it because the head shape is weird.

Nexus
02-02-2012, 08:58 AM
The Prestige Pro is a 95 sq inch frame in reality.... IIRC, it has a rather dense pattern. So other than the slightly less headlight balance and slightly better spin/power, it really isn't that much different compared to the PSLGT.

I think that is what I'm looking for right now. I do like the LTD's, but I do want more spin and power. I'm hoping it will be an easy transition from one to the other.