PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Starting Method

themitchmann
02-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Hey guys. A friend of mine recently told me about the method that he was taught to use at a pro shop. I thought it was a bit odd, so I thought I'd let you all weigh in. Here it goes (my initial responses in bold):

1-lace the first 2 main strings (one on each side of the frame)...so far, so good.
2-pull tension on both strings at the same time...oh, like the Yusuki method, ok.
3-clamp both strings with machine clamps...wait a second.
4-lace the next 2 mains (one on each side)...wait, really?
5-pull both strings at the same time again and clamp...what the?
6-start alternating the lacing/pulling of the mains.

Now, my friend is a decent stringer. He strings for me, and is constantly trying to improve as a stringer and player. Good guy...I even trust him to string my frames when I'm too busy teaching. He questioned the method, and said that when he made the first pull on a single string (the 3rd main), all 3 mains on that side moved. I explained that the strings that were pulled simultaneously will have been pulled half tension (since both were pulled at the same time). So, with this method, the first 2 mains on each side (so total of 4 mains in the middle of the frame) will have been all pulled at half tension. Then, when pulling the third main (with a constant pull machine), the machine ends up making a long pull to pick up the reduced tension in the first 2 mains (though, because of friction and the 180 degree bends, the reduced tension cannot be completely corrected).

I suggested he discuss the reasoning for using this method with the shop owners. What do you all think?

Irvin
02-02-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't think I would take my racket there to have it strung even if I did not string my own rackets. That would be really bad for a Prince racket with O ports on the top as you would have your second main on each side right next to the first mains unless you used a boomerang or something to hold them apart.

EDIT: I hope they have a stringer that has 360 rotation or it is even worse when you make the pull toward the throat.

EDIT: When you clamp the first mains you don't have one main clamped near the frame as the two clamps probably will not fit on the same location next to each other.

EDIT: When you pull tension on the third main The clamp will have reference tension on one side and something lower on the first two mains. The first two mains should not start moving until you release the clamp (assuming they have a constant pull stringing machine.) Then when the clamp is removed the string will slip in the clamp more than likely causing damage to an delicate strings.

EDIT: I suggest your friend find another place to string before he gets a bad reputation.

Irvin
02-02-2012, 05:54 AM
Just for the fun of it I set up a little test using my tension gauge and kevlar string. When pulling tension directly I had 60 pounds of tension. When pulling one string I had 57 pounds of tension. There is some tension loss for pulling through the one grommet. When pulling two strings around a 180 bend the first string had 44 pounds of tension. When pulling three strings I had only 27 pounds of tension on the first string (through two 180 bends.)

With a smoother string I assume I would have had less friction and tension loss but this test does not you are not going to be close.

themitchmann
02-02-2012, 06:23 AM
My thoughts exactly. It's a constant pull machine with 360 rotation.

I was referring to the pull on the third main after releasing the clamp.

diredesire
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Silly "method." WOULD NOT RECOMMEND. :)

(edit: reasons are obvious, and already stated)

jim e
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Since he was told this at a pro shop your friend probably thinks that this is an acceptable way to string.Its sad to see a stringer cut corners just to speed up a job, but this is even worse as I bet he thinks this is an acceptable way to string. If he just thinks about it and has any common sense you would think he would realise what he is doing. Funny how some will not question authority as a pro shop stringer is probably looked up to as knowing what he is doing, as he has to rely on repeat buisness. After all anyone can sell a new racquet, but the string job has a signature sort of speaking to it.I wonder if your friend mis understood what the pro shop stringer taught him?

themitchmann
02-02-2012, 01:59 PM
No misunderstanding. That's the way they want him to do it. I think he'll question it sooner or later (maybe after a few more days...he only just started). He immediately knew it was funky.

He knows a couple ways to start, but I've pushed him towards Yusuki.

The crazy thing is that they stress doing ATW patterns to provide a better job. Seems like their priorities are out of whack.