PDA

View Full Version : Fake Youtek Prestiges??

royfrombigd
02-02-2012, 05:29 AM
Hi, I just bought a pair of Youtek Prestige (non IG) off the bay. Got them and they look great, but I noticed right off the bat that there are no holographic stickers on either of them. One has a small sticker in the throat by the specs that has a single line series of numbers. The other doesn't. When I popped the buttcaps, the insides are different. One is completely black which I guess is foam filled colored black. The other I can see staples and 2 hollow chambers. Both the butt caps say TK 82. I really haven't seen or heard much about fake Heads. The hydrosorb grips look a little different and I suppose they could be made from different legitimate Head factories and that could be why the difference in the two, but I have to admit paranoia is getting the better of me. Any thoughts? I can try to post pics later (any help there is greatly appreciated).

BobFL
02-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Let's just wait until you post photos... If you have trouble to post them just send them to zloba_2001 at yahoo.com and I will do it for you...

royfrombigd
02-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Let's just wait until you post photos... If you have trouble to post them just send them to zloba_2001 at yahoo.com and I will do it for you...

Bob, thanks. You're the man. Just sent ome pics. The bay seller has also responded saying he got the racquets from an ATP sponsored pro and that the racquets were given directly to him from Head. That might explain the no Hologram sticker (a retail thing?) and the PJs and butt caps look legit. Can't figure out why the inside of the handles are different. The solid filled one seems a heavier, but I'm not always the best with that.

Deodorant
02-02-2012, 08:41 AM
In my studies of fake head racquets, they've never produced fake prestiges. I've checked numerous oversea sellers and wholesale shops that are known to carry numerous fake racquets, and so far no one carries prestiges. Im sure they don't want to get sued for immitating the patented cap system grommets. So your pretty good with the prestiges. If you open the butt cap and see staples instead of nails then most likely you have a real racquet.

royfrombigd
02-02-2012, 08:45 AM
In my studies of fake head racquets, they've never produced fake prestiges. I've checked numerous oversea sellers and wholesale shops that are known to carry numerous fake racquets, and so far no one carries prestiges. Im sure they don't want to get sued for immitating the patented cap system grommets. So your pretty good with the prestiges. If you open the butt cap and see staples instead of nails then most likely you have a real racquet.

Thanks. One is does show the staples, but the other is solid black inside. It feels a bit heavier. Is it possible Head made a heavier racquet for this pro?

Deodorant
02-02-2012, 08:54 AM
I have no idea about the solid filled foam core. But maybe the seller did a little customizing himself. The prestige pros are a bit hefty for most so i think adding silicone would be to heavy so instead the seller might've added an epoxy foam so it doesn't affect the weight to much but ill wait for pictures before making that judgment :)

movdqa
02-02-2012, 09:02 AM
They sound like Pro Stocks. Head may have given the pro a few different configurations to try out. You should find the static weight, swingweight and balance to get an idea of what you have.

Also, look at the top of the racquet where there is a slit in between the CAP grommets. Do you see any lead in there?

BobFL
02-02-2012, 09:36 AM
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/bobfl/IMG_06391_1024x768.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/bobfl/IMG_06381_1024x768.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/bobfl/IMG_06341_1024x768.jpg

BobFL
02-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Ok, so I think we have a winner here! :) The one with black sticker is a pro stock frame! And very neatly done job if I may add :) You Sir just won a tennis lottery! ;)

royfrombigd
02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Ok, so I think we have a winner here! :) The one with black sticker is a pro stock frame! And very neatly done job if I may add :) You Sir just won a tennis lottery! ;)

Well, that's good. So, do you think the specs are different than listed on the racquet? The specs listed are standard/retail specs. I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but what exactly defines "Pro Stock". Thanks bob.

nalvarado
02-02-2012, 09:53 AM
From what I have heard from the boards, a prostock racket is customized to a preferred weight, balance, and flex to a degree using the same materials available in retail sticks(save for the PT10, but as it is a Prestige Classic 600 it uses the same materials for that stick). They are made lighter in stock form to allow for customization with lead and silicone. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of the points.

BobFL
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Well, that's good. So, do you think the specs are different than listed on the racquet? The specs listed are standard/retail specs. I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but what exactly defines "Pro Stock". Thanks bob.

You are very welcome.

Well, typically, the specs are different than what is printed inside the throat. So it is going to feel, sound, and play differently. Pro stock frames come lighter than retail frames (in this case the prestige mp) and than they are customized to a player's specs. You can find TONS of info about pro stock frames here on the board. I think there are 100s of pages :)

movdqa
02-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Pro Stocks start with hairpins that are lighter than retail frames so that more customization is possible. The outfit doing the customization adds silicone in the handle, lead in the hoop or elsewhere, adds the pallets and buttcap or uses custom molded handle, adds specific grip and then there may be some additional lead customization.

There are a few different pro stock models that are painted as Youtek Prestige MPs. I know the tgk238.4 and pt57a models are paintjobbed as YTPMPs. I think that one of the other tgk238s (the 16x19 version) also has a YTPMP paintjob. The way to tell would be to take off the grip and pallet. There's a sticker on the handle part of the hairpin with the code.

royfrombigd
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Wow, this is not what I was expecting. What would anybody guess is the worth of the racquets? I may still try to return it as I'd prefer to just hit with a stock racquet. Thanks for all the info guys.

neverstopplaying
02-02-2012, 11:13 AM
There are a few regular sellers of Pro Stock frames. They usually go for $250 new.

movdqa
02-02-2012, 11:52 AM
It would depend on what it is. A PT57A might fetch $300-$400. A tgk238.4 would get less. Other frames might get a little more.

royfrombigd
02-02-2012, 01:43 PM
It would depend on what it is. A PT57A might fetch $300-$400. A tgk238.4 would get less. Other frames might get a little more.

Okay, I peeled back a few inches off the grip and the pallet underneath is gray (not the normal black). It says TK 57 and a large 3 which is obviously the grip size. So, would this be considered a pre stock "TK 57"?

movdqa
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
What you saw is the pallet code. The pallets sit on the hairpin. You'd have to take the grip off and then take the pallets off (which is a pain - you need a hair dryer and butter knife) to see the hairpin code.

You might ask the seller to ask the pro as to what it is.

It sounds like the seller didn't know the value of pro stocks.

royfrombigd
02-02-2012, 02:02 PM
What you saw is the pallet code. The pallets sit on the hairpin. You'd have to take the grip off and then take the pallets off (which is a pain - you need a hair dryer and butter knife) to see the hairpin code.

You might ask the seller to ask the pro as to what it is.

It sounds like the seller didn't know the value of pro stocks.

Yikes, really don't want to take it apart. Okay, what about that code inside the throat "A134801" in the pics. Can the model be looked up with that? Man, thanks to everyone for giving me this advice. I had really thought I had gotten sold a fake.

movdqa
02-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I believe that the A (it can be B too) number is a code that identifies the player that the frame was made for.